1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

[Need help] Question for experienced traders

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by RnRoger, Oct 3, 2015.

1. RnRoger

RnRoger New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:85681391
    I have a question about valuing items and whether that method is considered as scam or being realistic.
    http://prntscr.com/8n13xc (also in attachments)
    This is how I value items when I send my trade offers.
    I use this method because the lowest price changes with the second..
    Is this considered scam?

Attached Files:

2. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    I am not SteamRep Staff and this reply does not reflect the views of SteamRep.

No. Your pricing seems fair. Generally people use the 30-day community market price or a community agreed-upon price for certain items.

As long as you're not mislabeling a Minimal Wear Atomic Alloy as a Factory New Atomic Alloy, attempting to quickswitch to cover that fact, or some other thing similar to that, you should be fine.
    Enstage likes this.
  3. RnRoger

RnRoger New User

Steam:
    Any other experienced traders that care to share their opinion?
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Steamrep doesn't care about "actual values". If you manage to sell your items for "more" then its worth, good for you. What we DO care about is that the agreements are actually met. So if you agree to trade X for Y, the it must be X for Y once the trade has been started, or must be undone. A trader can walk out of any trade at any point BEFORE starting/actuate the trade.

Be honest, and you wont ever have a problem with us.
  5. RnRoger

RnRoger New User

Steam:
    That is not what I mean.
    Is the following action scamming?:
    (Using the earlier provided example of m4a1-s)
    I check the price of the item. Lowest price is 5,25. Average price of the lowest 5 or 10 is 5,40.
    I open a trade to someone and ask tell him I value the m4a1-s at 5,40.

My reasoning behind this is that the lowest price changes with the minute if not with the second.
    Am I scamming by valuing my item as 5,40?
    Thanks in advance, RnRoger
  6. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    SilentReaper answered that question perfectly I believe. SteamRep doesn't worry itself about that stuff-- since scamming is the act of committing fraud (breaking a trade agreement), while charging more than what an item is worth is considered sharking (SR does not mark for sharking, some partner communities do though).

The question you should be asking is whether what you are doing is considered sharking, my answer is: no.
  7. RnRoger

RnRoger New User

Steam:
    Thank you for your time.
    One last question since I have trouble finding that in steams FAQ's:
    Is sharking punishable by a ban?
  8. Enstage

Steam:
    SR itself doesn't mark for sharking offences. Some partner communities accept these kind of reports.

Regardless of whether they mark for it or not, its highly distasteful.
  9. RnRoger

RnRoger New User

Steam:
    I know that sharking is also a vile thing to do, and I never had the intentions to do so. And I am glad SilentReaper agrees that I wasn't sharking.
    But I am asking whether it is punishable by a ban from steam itself.
    Is sharking prohibited action?
  10. Enstage

Steam:
    Not really, since its not like Steam Support is going to use something like backpack.tf, or the community market even to verify prices. I'm assuming that if someone told someone a 6 cent skin was worth a high end knife they might do something if the trade went through. Then again, I'm not Steam Support so I can't really make a comment.
  11. Zoofie

Zoofie New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:1427757
    The example values I don't see as a scam, if the values where like 60 for a 35 dollar item i'd consider scam. I have not seen any examples of any sharkers banned from the steam client and I also have not seen examples of SR bans on a sharker. As for if the value of the item changing during the deal or after completion, I dont feel you would be scamming cause the market is unstable with all the quick sales and people abusing steam wallet and prices by selling stuff directly to others cheaply and just using it as a way to not use payment processors.