1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Declined Steamrep SCAM REPORT Accused: 76561197971691194 (Mattie!)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by CommunityPolicià, Oct 16, 2015.

1. [SHADoW-93]

[SHADoW-93] Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:39114137
    IMO, if an item was acquired from a trade bot, it should fall in the same category as a Steam Marketplace purchase, as these sites try to separate the buyer from the seller, making users more highly prone to inadvertently acquiring an item previously held by a marked scammer.

Now, for the average user, i ask you this question; Say I want to buy this AWP skin from OPSkins. Can you tell me a way to find out the user that posted this item for sale? I'm curious to see how you would try to find the item's original owner AND item ID prior to it going to the hands of one of this site's trade bots.

x5f0.png

If you had a hard time answering this simple question, that pretty much summarizes my opinion regarding this report.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  2. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    To reiterate - even if you got your hands on the specific bot that had the item you were buying with the specific item id, and you were able to bring it up on csgo.exchange, you'd still have to have a marked scammer with a public inventory that was scraped by exchange while the item was in their inventory.

Stop witchhunting - it's pointless.
    [SHADoW-93] likes this.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I've been thinking for days if I should take on this report. Normally I would take those very public reports that have controversy etc. While I did have some arguments with Mattie over the last 4+ years, I've nothing but the utmost respect for him for the amount of work he does on the background that near nobody outside will see. As I consider him a friend, I'll have to recuse myself from handling this. It also means that I can't vent my opinion here or elsewhere (like staff/admin forums) regarding issues addressed here that are pivotal to the report till the report is handled, for influencing by commenting/judgmental on this I also consider incorrect.

The only thing I can say, is that Lava is probably the best candidate to handle this report.
    [SHADoW-93] and Katpolice like this.
  4. [SHADoW-93]

[SHADoW-93] Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:39114137
    Meant to add to my previous post, but better late than never:
    For the record, can you give me an example where the partner community i'm from has given a scammer/caution tag for these types of trades? I doubt you'll find any.
    All this witch-hunting is pointless.

One thing is being a disgruntled trader, and another is deliberately witch-hunting for a few minutes of Reddit fame.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, but for the record, as long as the Steam MarketPlace and other similar sites continue to try to separate the buyer from the seller, there is no way you can see if the seller is a marked scammer or not until after the transaction took place.
  5. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    No dissenting opinions after 1 week, closing report per my previous verdict.