1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Message to SteamRep

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by man123, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    I should note here, that wild assertions born of ignorance appear to be par for the course in this thread and I doubt the sagacity of your comment will find a willing ear :)

Still, just in case the ranting mob is capable of comprehension, allow me to educate them a little about "trading with scammers"

It seems the OP and others are trying to assert that SR gives out caution tags like confetti at a wedding, well that most certainly is not the case. In fact Helen often goes to great pains to try to educate those people who are drawn into her ken by contacting them directly and explaining why a swag of "scammers" in a friends list is not a good look, and more often than not a warning is issued. I have brought various issues with issues to the attention of SR and witnessed this practice first hand.

Is SR perfect? Is every decision sound? Could things be better? I doubt no one at SR would disagree that people are fallible and any organization needs to be vigilant and strive to constantly improve, what strikes me at odd is the fact that ignorant and misinformed individuals like the OP and others seem to think that posting an overtly negative mishmash of invective and accusatory gibberish is serving any point at all.

Don't like SR? Well unless you have something constructive to say or some issue to bring up of substance with supporting argument you might as well not waste your time or that of others. The simple fact is that SR is essential to the trading community, and until such time as the OP makes his own bloody system to weed out those who pose a very real danger to others, he would be better served by keeping rather quiet, since while some people here might suspect him to be a fool, further idiocy would remove all doubt :)
    SiickNastikillr likes this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:22238402
    I just gotta say some things...

Even though steamrep has some rules that you dislike. They are just trying to get scammers marked and known so they can help other traders. I could careless about people who are marked for dumb reasons. If they truly get the scammers marked at the end of the day to help the communities and players are around. I don't know what I would do if there wasn't steamrep. The admins try very hard, every single one of them, to keep the trading communities clean from scammers. Yes, trading with scammers can get you marked. But as you read you can see that you get a warning. You shouldn't trade for any scammed or hijacked goods. It's just bad trading. Steamrep has done an excellent job. Yes there might be somethings that aren't fair here and there but in the end they just try to help.
  3. [Strut Sec] Bruceatsr44

[Strut Sec] Bruceatsr44 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:40275477
    If a mentally ✿✿✿✿✿✿ed person was murdering people would you let them be, just because they mean well?

Albeit this is a bit extreme, it really is the gist of it.
  4. Brony_Kitten

Brony_Kitten New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:38472462
    Acutally, before you jump to conclusions like a completely dumb@ss, this isn't just for TF2. It's also for those people that are trying to hack other user's accounts and people sending phishing links. This is a good place to report them and get them off of the community. How many times do you want to be randomly friended and get someone saying *FOR FREE GAMES COME HERE! *phishing link*
    Stop jumping to conclusions. Seriously. This isn't only for Team fortress 2.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  5. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Well, I guess the right thing would be to stop you.
  6. man123

man123 Banned

Show me some proof and then maybe i'll believe you.
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Hmm, there where screenies of the steam support call, don't know who's managing those, for all this happened before we had the evidence organized as now. I'd have to look into the case. The fake reports, this was reported directly to valve, not sure on what proof is there for I wasn't involved, just got told the story afterwards. The hijacking, that is easy enough, steam_0:0:66 and steam_0:0:2 where (former) valve employee accounts that weren't in use anymore by them, I've seen remarks from OG that the login names where valve email addresses (back then at account creation the login name was a mandatory email addres, hardcoded). He hijacked those, no other way. Og may have been around for some time, but not since 2004.
  8. man123

man123 Banned

I still don't see any proof.
  9. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Well, 1 part of proof I already gave, or do you want to say you believe "OG" to be a former Valve employee? Those really early accounts where non-public. I'll look in the rest some other time. Have enough on my plate.
  10. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

11. man123

man123 Banned

12. man123

man123 Banned

Sure, they try to help the community from scammers, but for the people who were listed at random its so hard to get good trades. It's not fair getting a scammer tag for trading with a scammer, even if the item is scammed! Now maybe if this person trades for scammed items all the time its a bit suspicious then they deserve a caution tag, but unless there's hard evidence they scammed they don't deserve a scammer tag. What if they don't know the item was scammed or don't know howto check or don't know about this site untill after they are listed? Sure, you get to appeal but you only get 1 chance and then you have to go to the community that listed you and appeal there which if its obvious you were listed without proof isn't fair. For me if i make a appeal at UTC they will completely ignore me because they know who I am. I never scammed! The worst I even did to them was call the admin an a✿✿✿✿✿✿ for wasting my time looking for a unusual that at the time there was only 1 and it was not for sale, which I got a month ban for. If i appealed again they will just ignore me because they don't like me which isn't fair, I don't deserve a scammer tag for that and SteamRep won't ever unlist me unless I go to them which isn't going to happen. Would I like to get unlisted? Ofcourse! Then maybe people would stop calling me a scamming a✿✿✿✿✿✿ for nothing, and then maybe people wouldn't ignore me and then maybe I could actually get unbanned from alot of trade servers and get some more trades.

Fair is fair don't you think?
  13. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

you saying that you don't know the real name of og?

lol, your talking from your ass.

How you think we got that information? so far you only driving for "proof" but cant get told to read your s✿✿✿ right.

steamID: og
    steamID32: STEAM_0:0:66
    steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960265860
    customURL:
    steamrepURL: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561197960265860

Please note edit dates.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  14. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

pfff. The rule trading with scammers was by high demand of the community, we didn't like it at then, and the above tells me that you that you didn't even read any from earlier in the thread about trading with a scammer.

The above tells me that you want just to give your case a re-exposure in hope of getting unmarked. And so far I didn't see any "abuse" on you in that regard.
  15. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    You do NOT get a scammer tag for simply trading with a scammer, in the first instance you will almost certainly get a warning, and only receive a caution tag if the incident reeks of collusion or otherwise peeks the interest of Helen in a way which gives her pause to think that a warning is not sufficient. A fully fledged scammer tag is only given to those who continue to deal with scammers (such as Homeyhomedawg did).

There is a presumption that anyone who has been about for a while and has some experience trading should be aware of the perils of scamming and scammers and moreover should be aware of SR. Performing due diligence when buying high value items is trivial and does not take much time, indeed checking SR, looking at friend lists, playing hours and all that jazz takes seconds. There is no excuse for repeatedly dealing with scammers.

Certainly I have seen individuals who have histories of fencing hats for scammers over long periods of time who seem to think they can get away with it in the face of tons of evidence to demonstrate a pattern of behavior which clearly demonstrates collusion, yet the sad thing is that scare mongering abounds and coupled with all the ignorant people failing to grasp the reality of how trading with known scammers works in practice the end result is a ton of misinformation. The fact is SR does not arbitrarily tag people for dealing with known scammers, each incident is looked at on merit and as I am sure Helen will attest to, more often than not a warning is issued. In other words no tag at all.
  16. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Admins are now slowly feeding me the crap from back then, they have to dig.

Now, for example linking the accounts 2 and 66:

http://www.legit-proof.com/search/?method=guid&query=0:0:66
    http://www.legit-proof.com/search/?method=guid&query=0:0:2

Do I have to explain how "steam ID's" work?... try looking up steam_0:0:1 up to steam_0:1:100 (yah, thats 200 accounts), and if I can do the work, you can too.

Short version? accounts are incremental, since 2004 accounts are just incremented on steam ID's. we're somewhere on 55 million now or w/e. The first ID's where made by valve employees, for test, for themselves, etc. Once the first x where made by them, and things worked, they started the beta(2002), after ~2 years (2004) they publicized it etc, read the wiki's, learn your history.

once I dig up more gems that I can show, I'll see if I can post that.

/edit: And read this very carefully, and check the links etc:
    http://www.sourceop.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=639681#639681
    - phishing telltale employee
    - posing as a Valve employee
    etc.
  17. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I'm guessing you're now seeing a glimpse of the big picture we have. Yes, at a certain point we had so much evidence on accounts of Og, that he is forever ineligible for a appeal. So since that time, the only thing to be done is finding alts. and even that became spread out, for his actions where on many different accounts. The problems around that, are currently been addressed, but that doesn't solve the old "spread out" evidence etc. So on really old cases, it only gets harder to get all the stuff together. And I'm not even showing all I have atm, for some things are given in privacy, with the question to keep it private, or are from sources we cannot quote.

All I said, was true.

Your view of "innocent" is so distorted by a guy you don't even know, and will scam you as soon as your trust goes too far. If you traded with him in the past months, you will find that he has charge backed you.
    Roudydogg1 and VenGanZa like this.
  18. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

[​IMG]
    Skipper likes this.
  19. LeGigabyte

LeGigabyte Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:48521621
    Man, man103, is this necessary? All you're doing is making yourself look bad with this name calling and ranting. I've done the same thing a few months back and all it did was make me look like a jerk.

Yes, SteamRep can be a bit unfair sometimes, but they just don't want scammers freely roaming around without being punished. Hardly anybody likes it when they get scammed or when someone tries to scam them- neither do I. How they release private info of scammers for everyone to see is cruel in my honest opinion, but most of those people actually deserve it such at Og and Left 4 Life. Scamming thousands of dollars of anything is a big no-no; you should know that.

No, saying your opinion won't get you marked, but it'll make you look like a whiny little prick who needs to shut up. SR didn't ruin your trading experience, you did. Same goes for everyone else who scams.

Just my one cent on the matter. ;)
  20. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Those who push the limits of ethical behavior almost always think they are hard done by :)

As for "releasing private info" or shall we just say "info", would anyone have it any other way? Those accused of scams on SR are visible to all, and input from anyone is permitted. Personally I am very glad this level of transparency is available, otherwise SR would indeed be a troublesome beast.

There are always going to be people who moan that decisions are unfair or impartial and I am certain in a tiny percent of instances SR gets it wrong, after all to err is human, however given the fact anyone can view the evidence that goes into decisions, the rules are clear and those with some kind of interest may comment if their input is relevant, I think SR does by and large a fantastic job and the game would be in dire straights without such an entity.
    LeGigabyte likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.