1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

READ ME How to gauge Raffles.

Discussion in 'SteamRep Guides' started by SilentReaper(SR), Jun 8, 2015.

1. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Recently I looked into a report regarding a raffler. As online raffling is tricky at best, I'll put some general guidelines on how to assess a raffle.

First of all:
    Establish if you trust that person enough to do the raffle honestly. A lot of raffles are crooked and "awarded" to a "friend" of theirs etc. If you don't trust it, there is not much SR will do, for anyone can hold a raffle, and there is no way to know if they are genuine or not unless you know them. Don't go by the rep of others for this. Also, pointing to this guide doesn't mean anything, its just a user guide to let participants of raffles know what they should look for.

How a raffle should be run:
    • Conditions should be set:
      • Limit the time:
        • It should not take multiple weeks/months before a raffle is done. A final date must be set, and must be upheld.
      • Limit the wagers:
        • Wagers should not exceed by much the raffle winnings, some can, but if the total wager is 150 % or more of the prize, something is wrong. Raffles are generally done to either get certain items, or just for fun, or to raffle off a more expensive item they could not sell so far, or w/e. Its not a profit game.
        • Raffler will probably limit what kind of items (s)he wants for the wagers, so if raffler wants a reclaimed for a ticket, gives 3 tickets for a refined, and also takes 2 cards for a ticket, thats fine.
      • If some conditions are not met (maybe not enough participants etc), and the raffle is (considered) cancelled:
        • Wagers should be returned to the people that gave them (does not have to be the exact item, just the value equal to what they wagered as set in the raffle conditions).
    • A public list should be kept with the following information:
      • Who entered the raffle ( ID64 + nickname)
      • How many entries/tickets or w/e they bought the raffle into. (1 key, 2 ref, 2 scrap, 1 Steam Trading Card, etc.
      • Which ticket number(s) they have (1,2,3, etc) No double allowed.
      • Example:
        http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198139677020 SilentReaper(SR), 1 key, 2 tickets, tickets 9666 and 9667
    • The drawing of the winning lot:
      • Media stream:
        • On the agreed expire time a livestream to be started, that can be viewed at that time and can be viewed later by anyone participating or not.
        • Opening of a site in a browser that provides random numbers ( http://www.random.org/ ) and fill in the boundaries of the tickets say 200 tickets, numbering from 101 to 300, fill in 101 to 300.
        • The FIRST result is the winner not to keep drawing again and again till a favorable number is found. If having multiple "winnings" it should have settled the order of drawing for which wins what. 1st to have 3rd prize, 2nd 2nd prize, 3rd first prize, or vv: 1st to have 1st prize, 2nd for 2nd, 3rd for 3rd etc.
        • Do not accept screenshots, for one can raffle again and again, till the "right" number is up, and screenshot that one. Or if they want 63, fill in 62-64, hit raffle, and then change start/end numbers:
        • Run 62-64:
          [​IMG]
        • Change of the numbers:
          [​IMG]
      • Stock market
        • Another possibility is taking the cents position of a certain stock market at end of day trading of a certain date, say the stock goes for 60-70 dollars, you can then use the value of the stock at the end of the day (if the stock is permitted to be traded, has been traded, and seen enough change recently to get somewhere random etc). If its ending on $ 63.58, its lot number 58, if needing a larger number, one can take the single last digits of multiple stock items that are active etc. Advantage: no stream needed, and the information is always available, and is
      • It needs to be predetermined before accepting people to buy tickets etc how the exact raffle is to be done, by what method, and be written out so the participants KNOW etc.

There is always more, but at least with this ppl that like to participate know at least the basics of what to look for in a raffle.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    So many raffle groups now that say they are on the up and up... I don't trust em.

The raffles I run our my servers are very transparent as in you gotta be present to enter but you don't have to be present to win. Everything is logged so at any time anyone can request to see the results. I only allow certain staff to run raffles too to prevent issues such as taking entries and running away, can't tell you how many times I've heard of that happening...people use them so much now to try to make a quick profit on any item.
    Hitman Sparky likes this.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I agree on that Horse, its just that they should learn what to look out for, and not jump into anything without proper care.
    Hitman Sparky likes this.
  4. Gamma032

Gamma032 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42303924
    As the owner of the biggest raffling group r/n:
    • Always look for groups that "sell mod" to people. You can usually just go buy moderator for a month or so at a key a month or whatever. I would suggest making sure the owner does some kind of background checks on their applicants before letting them in, at the very least.
    • Tracking the items is a good thing to do if you're concerned you've been scammed. Just watch the prizes in the inventory of the winner via backpack.tf, and see if they return to the original owner or don't move at all.
    • Look through that particular rafflers' previous raffles and look for a common winner - it may be a different name each time.
    • If concerned that you've been scammed, another way is to ask the raffler for trade history proof of the winner entering. If they refuse, go tell the owner and express your concern.
    • Check SteamRep before entering, and make sure you're trading with the right person (there's a notification in the trade window!) as I've certainly seen my fair share of impersonators.
    • Most groups have a policy of 'one raffler at a time'. Make sure this is being followed.
    • Before entering, search 'em up on my database: http://rafflegroupreports.com/search.php
    I can't ensure every raffle runs smoothly. The responsibility's on you, too!
  5. Bacon Overlord

Bacon Overlord Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:6350281
    Tip: Only participate in trades that can be completed entirely in a single trading window.

Straight out of the FAQ for avoiding scams.

Raffles are all scams to one degree or another. Don't participate, it's stupid to think the people running it aren't trying to turn a profit.
  6. Bacon Overlord

Bacon Overlord Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:6350281
    Plus raffles are against the Steam rules in any capacity on the steam community (which includes groups, group names, profiles, profile NAMES, etc)

https://help.steampowered.com//#text=forum rules&home=Home

Off-Limit Topics/Replies
    Do not post any topics/replies containing the following:
    • Soliciting, begging, auctioning, raffling, selling, advertising, referrals
    Just as online gambling is against state law and federal law without a license granted by the state of operation and the state of the bettor.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/Federal-Laws/internet-gambling-ban.htm

There's a reason it's banned, lol. It's best not to open yourself up to a scam in the first place. Avoid "raffles" like the plague.
  7. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Looks like a rule in the Steam forums to me, not all across Steam.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.