1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Announcement Policy Change: Trades with Scammer Policy, End of Life

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Mattie!, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    FYI-- I hid/warned a post here of someone trying to sell items-- selling on SR is not allowed, especially not scammers.
  2. Ni`Gi.Vladi #FuckTF2

Ni`Gi.Vladi #FuckTF2 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20905453
    I'm assuming this protects people who deal with me and my alts?
  3. EChondo

EChondo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42491495
    Yup, that's the case it seems.

Oh well, back in the queue, it seems like my appeal won't be don't until 2020 at this rate.
  4. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    It doesn't protect them from Valve trade bans, bans from other communities, etc. And if they are working with you to resell/broker, then they may also get banned on SR.

A trade here or there won't get them banned on SR, though. Hopefully people are smart enough not to go near your items.
  5. Destiny 2

Destiny 2 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:521885
    Final Score: Scammers 1 - Community 0

The blame sits squarely with Valve rather than steamrep however.
    Has there EVER been a RL prosecution for fraud or theft?
    If they did a few high profile cases it would deter the casual scammer and protect the community.
  6. Ni`Gi.Vladi #FuckTF2

Ni`Gi.Vladi #FuckTF2 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20905453
    SteamRep taking L's left and right.
  7. buddhapest

buddhapest Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:136841
    i'm with bacon on this one. i don't like this change, but then as long as scammers are still getting tagged - i personally won't trade with them and will continue to look with deep distrust toward anyone who does.
  8. Rosalina

Rosalina New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:64197455
    How is it a loss? What are they losing? Their purpose is to inform users about scams and help those users protect themselves from getting scammed. Banning trades with scammers just causes people to resent steamrep, as well as stop users from buying hats they wish to own for their own pleasure.
  9. JuJuuTV

JuJuuTV New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41850405
    This is very exciting news, It's about time this rule was adjusted to keep innocent traders from being falsely marked. I can't tell you how many times I've experienced people quitting trading completely because they were unaware you could be punished for trading with someone that was marked.

I shouldn't have to be so insecure about every unusual trade that I feel the need to literally screenshot their current steamrep reputation just to ensure I'll be safe incase they turn out to be a shady person, there's no way I could have possibly known that person would have turned out to actually have negative intentions later on when their steamrep was completely normal. Just really rubbed me the wrong way.

With that being said I really hope websites such as TF2Outpost and Backpack.tf change their policies as well to match SteamReps.
  10. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Your trading with a scammer is not logical!
    You say that you'll look the other way if I trade with a scammer, but eventually you'll say I was just brokering with them?
    Uh, why not just change it to "No cash(paypal, steam money, all the other sites) trading with scammers" and just let me trade with whoever I want!

I probably won't trade anyways due to the stupid Escrow... but I am so done with background checking other then cash trading.
    The rule in general is so stupid, especially in most cases the scammer got those items legit!
  11. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    If you are brokering for a scammer, you will get banned for brokering for them.

The rule we got rid of, you mean?
    Enstage likes this.
  12. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    I completely understand your position on this. I agree-- any account I run into that trades with scammers freely is one I wouldn't trust whatsoever. Yet, there's so many casual traders (especially in Dota2/CSGO) that do this accidentally, that it really gets to be an inconsistent and unfair thing to police actively elsewhere. I think if we had more visibility into true item history and info Valve has on alts, then it could be an easier policy to take a firm stance on (or if we could truly "trade ban" people like Valve does). But with all the challenges I enumerated in the post, it's simply a situation where SteamRep needs to focus on confirmed fraud rather than the indirect cases where it's people can get banned when they didn't actually commit any fraud.
  13. [PPM]TheVenomWithin

[PPM]TheVenomWithin New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:68573242
    Was about to ask this same question, then had the smart idea of reading the comments posted hehe. SR doesn't control BP and OP, other sites can ban you for whatever reason they want. It'd be nice though to see them partake in this change.
  14. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    You wouldn't have been banned/warned for trading them if they weren't marked at the time of the trade unless it were something screamingly obvious. I'd imagine it's the same for Outpost and Backpack.tf.
  15. nixdragon1322 | Razer

nixdragon1322 | Razer New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:148127554
    What happens to those who have pending reports on steamrep ? Are the reports going to be removed or something ? I didn't get it.Thanks in advance.
  16. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    What I'm saying is, it sounds more like you are playing favorites now with users.
    -------------------------------------
    There will be an unknown user who trades with some scammers, and you'll be like whatever, "we don't have time for this"
    If I trade with a scammer, you'll be like "you should know better not to trade with scammers" which then will most likely lead to either a 1 warning, or a marking of "brokering with a scammer"
    --------------------------------------
    Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, if I were to go and trade with a scammer right this minute for a 10+ key item!
  17. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    Did you actually read this thread? You are literally saying you disagree with a policy we just removed. Or am I missing something?
  18. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    I think he's saying even tho youve removed that policy you'll still accuse him of purposefully partnering with scammers to profit
  19. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    How am I disagreeing?

It's the Brokering part of the policy I'm trying to figure out.
    What do you exactly mean when you say brokering?
    If you talking paypal trading, then put that in there.

If I go trade with a bunch of scammers, what's the odds of you guys marking me compared to a casual trader who trades with a bunch of scammers?

-----------------------------
    quote from SR
    So should I buy from scammers? Obviously not! If you know an item is scammed-- clearly you wouldn't purposely want to get mixed-up with a scammer. Even if SteamRep is not banning for everyday trades like this, it's still putting your items or money into a criminal's pocket-- and making you look shadier and shadier. If you end up doing it repeatedly and intentionally, then it makes you look like a broker, partner, or alt of a scammer-- that's still something markable on SteamRep.
    -----------------------------

You guys are saying right here that you can't trade with scammers, yet you'll look the other way in some cases.
    However, since you guys know me, you'll most likely slap me with a marking so fast, that I don't even have time to blink.

This is what I'm getting worked up about... that and you guys are still trying to control the trading market!
  20. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Where does it say you can't trade with scammers? It says you shouldn't, but we won't intervene in a single trade. If a scammer has something you want, you're free to trade them to get it.