1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is duping items a bannable offense?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by [0GS] KritzKow, Jan 22, 2016.

1. [0GS] KritzKow

[0GS] KritzKow New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62949137
    I was looking at this user on outpost, and he had the exact same unusual as i did. The only difference was his unusual didnt have any spells on it. It has the same level and i think the history is the same.
    Here is his profile (The hat is a scorching tree): http://steamcommunity.com/id/1465465375/
    This is my profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198086164003/
    i dont exactly know if duping items is a bannable offense, but if it is, then ill make a report
  2. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
  3. Grey7

Grey7 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:102807692
    ive seen a lot of duped items and valve has never said there going to remove them so i dont think it should be bannable, but just not be able to do it at all
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Valve restores items to accounts after they where hijacked (only 1 time, 2nd time they won't). They do this by making a copy of all items the account lost during the hijack.

Valve will also to some extend look at the hijacker mule accounts and related, and delete those items / ban the account(s) involved.

As a result, a lot of duplicated items exist. Hell, I even know of a earbuds that was copied 36 times in 1 go, for it was a rare bug: The buyer was buying 1 earbud from someone else via in-game trading, the TF2 server crashed at a very specific point during the trade, which caused an error to happen. Result was that the buyer got 36 copies of that earbud. Valve fixed the trade bug, but the buyer got to keep the items, for it happened outside of his fault. Mind you, this was back in 2011, when earbuds where 20+ keys each.
  5. DAFISH#got scammed D:

DAFISH#got scammed D: Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:69854141
    When did Valve say that?
  6. Grey7

Grey7 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:102807692
    sorry for not being clear. they've never said they are going to remove them. But i guess i could be wrong.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I don't think you guys get it. Its Valve that is doing the duplication, and its ONLY Valve that CAN duplicate items. The above story I told was the exception I know, due to a bug. There have been other bugs. Anybody that tells they can "dupe" an item, is lying. I won't say there won't be any other bugs with trading, but Valve does notice such and those WILL all get removed.

The Duplicates you can find, will almost certainly be made by Valve at some point.

So in short:
    • Duped items are not (going to) being removed by Valve.
    • Duped items are MADE by Valve due hijack scenarios on accounts.
    • Nobody outside Valve can duplicate items. Anybody that finds a trade bug of sorts that they abuse to this effect will get their accounts banned and all accounts that received them (and that HAS happened couple times).
    • If you find such a bug, report it to Valve, they DO give rewards for disclosing it to them without giving it to everybody before it got fixed. If not, see above. The rewards vary, often a special item.
    • Anybody claiming to "dupe" items, is lying already. For a bunch of reasons it's a lie (why would they tell "you" about it, if they can dupe, they would just trade a lot and dupe whatever they got their hands on, etc). It would just be another scam scheme.
  8. Bizarro

Bizarro New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62716780
    what silentripper is saying it's not a type of fraud SR typically marks for but it is fraud nonetheless. all the data is with valve support
  9. Bizarro

Bizarro New User

Steam:
    If SR banned for duped items being traded every dota 2 player that owned a dragonclaw hook, timebreaker, alpine, etc.. most likely would be banned
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Eh? what?
    If someone does the "I can dupe your items" scam, they will get banned here. Its just rare to happen afaik.

And what was unclear? Its VALVE making the dupes, for reasons of accounts being hijacked and regained by the real owner of it by a Steam Support ticket. As a 1-time service they will restore the backpack of the hijack victim.

Seriously...

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  11. Bizarro

Bizarro New User

Steam:
    was my tldr man