1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Announcement SteamRep Policy Changes for 2016

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Mattie!, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Slayer 2

Slayer 2 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48738666
    Good changes. Hopefully appeals over several months are handled with soon. Especially for mods of other communities ;)
  2. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32620293
    I don't want to be Mr negative here, as I'm very happy with this but I thought i'll just comment on this:
    • Policy Frustrations. Many frustrated community members raised SteamRep concerns via social media and forums. While some are the expected people with personal interest in attacking SteamRep (which will always be an issue for an anti-fraud site), there are others who had genuine/valid concerns that we really should be revisiting.
    I was one of the people attacking process, It started after a report on FoG against me which lead me to crawl through their website and look at process. I had seen that many innocent people were being banned outside of process and highlighted this with Mattie via chat in which I felt like my concerns were being brushed off (logs are in previous report against me on here) (I ended up being banned outside of SR process)

My viewpoint and i've mentioned it previously while posting on social media is that if you don't make noise then nothing gets done, had people not been vocal and had an outlet to highlight their concerns you may have continued to think that the current process is working fairly. Maybe consider this a positive and not a negative that people still have an outlet to voice their opinions.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Again ? You're misrepresenting stuff again regarding your ban. We've told you countless times the truth, and you only accept your own "truth" as you see fit. I'm pretty much done with you, so I'm not even going to counter all that. This will be your last warning, stop misinforming others or get banned from our forums. But this time it will be permanent instead of 6 months.

As for the "social noise" that wasn't a real factor for the discussion, just a admission we've seen them. We've been discussing the change of the rule of trading with scammers internally for over a year, within SR and with the Partner communities. "Social noise" will never be a deciding factor for that.
  4. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Ya, well, you know, thats just like, aaa, his opinion man. Corrupt SR banning if you disagree!

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  5. FROST (S>44 UNUSUALS)

FROST (S>44 UNUSUALS) New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50785529
    I don't think this changed any of that. I'll still be doing whatever pre-trade checks I usually make, for more reasons than one but mainly because it has become a routine for me.
  6. DecoStop

DecoStop New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:8148567
    Outstanding. :)
  7. Rage_Inducer

Rage_Inducer New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35508352
    Sweet, thanks to these changes everyone in my Unusual's history appealed and got unbanned, restoring its squeaky clean status. :D
  8. NewSheep

NewSheep New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:104866354
    Hello. Good afternoon everyone.

I'm new here, so I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.
    I received an offer on my knife (csgo item),
    the person would pay me, with unusual (hat from tf2),
    I like the offer, but when I went to check,
    I realized that he's banned in tf2outpost, and also this marked steam

"Additional Info from Administrators"

Knowingly trading with marked scammers

"joined Steam: 2012-03-04
    Steam Level: 42
    Friendship: Sign in to check

Online Status: Online
    Profile Privacy: Public
    Trade Ban: None
    VAC Ban: None
    Community Ban: None "

he said he was banned for more than one year, and I do not have no problem in accepting the trade.
    despite the offer is good, I do not wanna win a ban,
    and on the hats, are not stolen or anything similar.
    he told me, I can accept the offer, without entailing any problems,
    My question is: ? i can accept trade with him or not? i don't want

Thank you very much in advance
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    NewSheep likes this.
  10. Sud

Sud New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:6925509
    To throw in my two cents, I'm really ambivalent on the change to marking people who trade with scammers.

On one hand, I know the investigative process which includes interviews, trade history auditing, and establishing intent is a major drain on staff resources and probably the biggest holdup in the whole steamrep organization.

On the other, I see this as declawing the cat in a manner of speaking - when people have nothing to fear when trading with a known thief, they'll often turn a blind eye if it gives them something like the monetary discount that someone trying to fence goods usually offers. After all, if you're being offered an unusual at a couple hundred dollars discount, and it's your first time, feigning ignorance is the easy route to an expensive unusual on the cheap. I have this gut feeling that, removed from the consequences, trading with scammers is going to become rampant, and increase the profits from fraud.

A good example is streaming right now. Max Box, who gained his notoriety from hacking and is a self admitted steamrep banned thief, is on twitch taking trades from viewers and doing the odd giveaway. Because there's no consequences for this anymore, nobody seems to care whatsoever. Steamrep only seems to exist in the minds of people so long as they have something to fear from it, much like how criminals only care about the police when they are chasing them.
  11. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    I feel your pain, I personally do not agree with every policy SR has but I do enforce whatever that policy might be.
    Sud likes this.
  12. Mysterious Man Of Color

Mysterious Man Of Color New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:61636716
    Very s✿✿✿, keep letting scammers get away.
  13. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
  14. Sud

Sud New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:6925509
    I hear ya man, and it's true there's only so much one team of volunteers can do. I did a few backpack history traces for Noobinator back when he was admin and I can appreciate the sheer amount of time that goes into sleuthing out the details of what exactly happened. Hopefully there will still be some form of deterrence. On the bright side too, with all the escrow stuff implemented recently, it should slow down the amount of reports you get from hijacked accounts, and push a lot of people onto the mobile auth system (which hopefully won't be cracked as easily as Blizzard's was)
  15. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
  16. LiveMChief

LiveMChief Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:24312215
    Nice to see SR is continuing to be the best scammer prevention system on steam :)
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  17. TDoN_911

TDoN_911 Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:13584780
    where can i appeal my steamrep ban?
  18. TDoN_911

TDoN_911 Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:13584780
    I have a legacy ban how do i get it removed?
  19. ❤BakaWaDaisuki™❤YuKiRiN

❤BakaWaDaisuki™❤YuKiRiN Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:60814437
    great to hear such news!!! hope for to be coming!w
  20. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733