1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Reported a few scammers to steam - What if they report me too?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by obyboby, Mar 22, 2016.

1. obyboby

obyboby New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:28772189
    Hey everyone, i'm new here.
    Since I got my hands (legitimately) on an M9 doppler, and started posting trades on lounge, I've been receiving various friend requests and offers from scammers.
    Instead of insta-blocking them, I made sure they explicitly told me what they wanted to do ("I want to make sure your item is not duped, add this admin, blah blah.." and so on) so that I had proof for a report.
    After taking screenshots and checking steamrep and so on, I always proceeded to reporting the user/impersonator/scammer to steam, then blocked them.
    There's one thing that worries me - what if they report me too for "revenge"? What if, say, i reported 50 scammers and they all reported me (with no proof since I did nothing wrong)? Can my account get trade banned or stuff like that?
    I'm trying to report them to steam to help others, but I am kinda worried for the safety of my own account.
    Thanks!

ps: this was a user that the last scammer told me to add, claiming he was a steamrep admin - actually he claimed the following link lead to 3 accounts, but it's obviously a fake link, masked to look like 3 different links.

http://steamrep.com/search?q=http:/...ncehttp://steamcommunity.com/id/BigBangGamers
  2. obyboby

obyboby New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:28772189
    Just noticed the link I pasted doesn't work anymore - they have probably edited it already.
    The scammer's profile is gone too - wow, they are fast at disappearing, by changing their own URL. Will have to take notes of their ID for my next reports :D
  3. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    It does happen sometimes that scammers report to Valve/Steam those that have reported them. But most of the time they have attempted to scam so many different people that they do not know who reported them. If the person is particularly grievous to them it may invite for such. Just don't troll them too much I would say, just exit it once its a clear scam and you can report it, without making it a big show.

Here on SR a fake report on someone will get the reporter of that fake report marked if they added counterfeit (photo-shopped etc) evidence. There have been cases where scammers that are reported here, but not with enough evidence to make a ban with it, the scammer as revenge reported the victim with photo-shopped images etc. Those are near impossible to appeal here, for any evidence provided won't be acceptable (once proved to give counterfeit evidence, any provided cannot be trusted anymore).
    You Are The One likes this.
  5. Bacon Overlord

Bacon Overlord Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:6350281
    Yeah, but uhhh.. if there's nothing to report on Steam, then there's no action to take on their part. Reporting someone hardly ever gets anything done anyway unless there's a bunch of reports by different people.

Even then it usually ends up having to go to Steam Support before they'll do anything about it. I'm guessing it's because there are about 15 million accounts on Steam and probably less than 200 community moderators.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about being reported if you've done nothing wrong on Steam. Granted, if you have done something then you deserve it and whatever they decide to do to you...
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    there are 280+ million Steam accounts.... Not saying they're all active. But 15 million steam users is what is daily online at the same time. So therefore can be assumed that somewhere around the ballpark of 100 million accounts are "active" as in online at least monthly.
  7. MaiFilm

MaiFilm New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:80888349
  8. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    If you're looking to "give him a lesson" or retribution/justice of some kind, you've come to the wrong place.

Either way, this is not the section to report a scammer.