1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Banned trough steamrep

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Potatoman2012, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Potatoman2012

Potatoman2012 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:28542236
    If you can prove that somebody is a scammer, will he just get marked as a scammer on steamrep or will he get suspended and banned from steam as well? It is kinda pointless to just report somebody on steamrep if they don't get banned or trading banned since there's a lot of steamusers not checking up on steamrep.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:22238402
    When reporting someone on steamrep you can only get them marked as a scammer on steamrep. Steamrep can't trade ban people. Only Steam support has the power to do that. So that being said after creating a report on steamrep, send in a support ticket to steam support giving evidence that the person scammed you. Steam support will then decide if they will take further action against the scammer's account.
  3. Moose M.D

Moose M.D New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35634275
    This website is just like a "Good" and "Naughty" list. Except if you don't care about steamrep saying you're "bad", it does not mean a whole lot to you and there is no punishment. Easier way is to report straight to steam customer support if you wanna take action quickly.
  4. SiickNastikillr

SiickNastikillr New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41868651
    Err...you assume a lot about SR by saying that. All of the affiliated communities of SR, who make up the bulk of the tf2 trading communities, will ban you for being a scammer. Sure, if you like playing on pubs, or on other communities, it doesn't affect you very much....but in terms of how easily you are able to trade with a mark, well, it's not gonna be easy at all.
  5. Moose M.D

Moose M.D New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35634275
    Yes if you wanna be known across the community as the Santa Claus that brings joy, it looks like you need to keep your nose clean on these websites. Thing is, i have never used anything but tf2tp or tf2op. And i would consider myself pretty rich, no unusuals though :(
  6. SiickNastikillr

SiickNastikillr New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41868651
    Both those sites ban you for being a scammer.
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

well, lets take a case:

scammer scams, victim reports to Valve and steamrep:

Valve will only act if there are multiple complaints, with more permanent measures.
    SteamRep will mark for any scam, and as SR has a API, which is combined with a plugin for servers and websites, a load of those communities show/ban them.

Reporting to both will achieve:
    - Marked scammer on Steamrep way earlier then any trade ban is going to be added to a scammer.
    - Other traders will be aware (more or less) that that person "did some bad".
    - Over time, valve will trade ban the scammer if he stays active and the victims report. But often that is months after the first scam.

You decide.... you want to wait for more permanent actions on a account by valve for some months, or just see on SR that that person scammed, and protect yourself and others by reporting bad ppl. Its not for nothing we're overloaded with reports. Ppl understand what we do, and what difference that is vs valve.
  8. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17721741
    You'd be surprised how many people check steamrep. I'm a small time buyer/trader and even I check it, mainly because fear I'll get marked myself if I trade with someone who's cautioned/marked. Being marked on steamrep doesnt mean s✿✿✿, either. Og, a well known hijacker and scammer hasn't had any of his accounts trade disabled.
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Yes many do, but a LOT more do NOT.

Far too many people do not even bother to verify a profile let alone checking SR, and end up being easy meat for trivial imposters.

I most certainly hope that more and more users check Steamrep before doing higher value trades, SR put in a lot of effort to properly investigate things and for people to not bother using what is in my opinion an utterly essential service just boggles the mind.
  10. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

hmm, Og had a load of accounts disabled by valve. (bout 10 or so, afaik also the ID 2 and 66 ones)
  11. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    ^^ This.

Many thousands of users have multiple accounts, some even have a few ISP's, and a few of the scammers are familiar with some rather esoteric IP related tricks. This doesn't mean we simply throw our hands up in the air and accept defeat :)

Valve and SR do a pretty decent job of catching as many untoward people as possible, and behind the scenes a great many sites contribute by collating IP's of suspect scammer alts and passing them to SR. Just the other day I spent some time with Helen trying to nail down some class C ranges for a Tel Aviv account.

It can be hard at times trying to stay a step ahead of the more clever scammer douches, but one thing I am certain of is none of them take the possible consequences of their dirty little games lightly. They can and do get the just desserts more often than not.
  12. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17721741
    Thanks for that info, then guys. I was under the impression that most of his accounts werent disabled at all, because I see him in game on trade servers more then once on different accounts, so I know his main account with the community sparkle luger, vintage buds and vintage max are all being traded freely betewen his alts.
  13. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Can be that he was able to appeal to Valve, or is using a different set of accounts now. Don't know for sure, I've not looked really in any of those cases, just get some by the tamtam.