1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Ask A SteamRep Staff Member

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Xenophobia, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Mako11

Mako11 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:1069981
    what ELSE exactly would you need to consider as an attempt when a scammer does the following:
    1 offers to pay real money
    2 offers to pay MORE than the market price
    3 wants the victim to go first
    4 can NOT and plainly REFUSES to explain why he is paying more than the actual market value

now only thing is left is for the trade to go through and be scammed completely, but again, this would NOT be considered an ATTEMPT but would be an ACTUAL SCAM.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  3. Whatsofunny

Whatsofunny New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:76120790
    A person scammed me but then returned the items after scamming me because I threatened him saying I will report him to steam rep and get his account perm banned. Do you think I should still report this person.
  4. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    You should still do the report. Do report him to any of our partners or to us . Please read http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/submission-fundamentals.60254/ before making it.
    Just because he returned the items to you does not mean that he will do it in the future. Glad you got your items back!
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Really depends on admin/mod. Some can do 2-3 hours a week, others can do that every day, and some are only dragging in maybe a few hours a month. Most staff have a job, real life obligations, and a personal life to attend to.

I'll give it a try to answer. An attempt must have something definitive to it. Like the scammer pulling in a fake MM to "help" the trade, or throwing screenshots of Paypal (often they just have googled that image on imgur or have "edited" the image to have a large amount on it in some way or w/e) with a large sum on it as "proof" they can be trusted. The "something definitive" is something we try to train our mods and admins to recognize. They already have often a large number of reports under their belt to recognize if there was enough to it to make it stick. A simple "we agreed a trade" and then the reporter refusing to start the trade is not going to stick, for some extenuating circumstances have to be there that close it. As that is different for a lot of those cases, and is ingrained with our rule of having evidence to back it up, its for the admins to decide upon if it was enough, and most cases being different enough that it cannot fit in a easy "definition".

You being suspicious is your good right. You very well may have avoided being scammed by it, but that is not some we can build a case upon.
  6. GTST

GTST New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:48986579
    Soo, i recently reported a pretty obviously non legit person trying to buy items for real money but it got marked invalid for not giving proof of him trying to scam me. That kind of bothers me because of course he didn't scam me, im smarter than most scammers and spotted the obvious mistakes in his story at first glance, i need proof of a scam taking place tho to be able to properly report him which is kind of stupid, so i have to get scammed first before i can report that person? (or anyone else) It would be way more efficient to take a look before that happens and some member of the trading community looses his items to this person.

Also i infact gave quite a few points of proof that show his story cannot be legitimate and that he is infact not what he pretends to be so i dont see why anyone has to get hurt before we can do something about it.
    Everything so far speaks against him and i think we can all agree on that after looking at his profile and checking my named points which doesnt take any more time than the usual routine of checking proof in a trade, most likely even less time + noone looses his items to him which will most likely happen as to a non experienced eye it infact is not that easy to spot what I and other experienced traders see within a matter of seconds / minutes.

Case im referring to: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/...ke-global-offensive-items.124622/#post-345100

Also yeah the image i attached was just because i was forced to attach something and providing screenshots of a profile that i could fake certain things in doesnt make sense to me if the reviewing person could just check the profile directly with no possibility of me faking anything.

So i guess since this is not formed as a question yet: Is there any way to give us the possibility to get someone steamrep banned without him having anyone hurt already or does someone have to bleed before you can do something about it?

Would really like to prevent scams from happening in the first place and not wait until he had multiple victims until one of them finally knows about steamrep and takes the time to report that person.
  7. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    @GTST
    There is no point in marking someone if they turn around and successfully appeal it because there is zero actual proof of any wrong doing, it’s a waste of everyone's time. Yes, I agree the user is suspicious and would avoid them at all costs, and I agree with your overall assessment on him as well. But, SR cannot preemptively ban users even if we do think they are out to defraud based solely on circumstantial evidence alone. With NO trade agreement or offer, NO screenshot of any chat, NO attempt, nothing we can do. I would instead reach out to the sites he frequents and report him to them, communities are free to ban whoever they please and for whatever reasons they see fit.

Sidenote:
    Profile fakerep is so prevalent, we gave up on trying to monitor it.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/what-constitutes-reputation.12391/
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/notice-changes-to-investigation-policy.47952/
  8. Lemi™ [SRB]

Lemi™ [SRB] New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44784810
  9. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    That's too bad.. you need access to it to appeal then.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  10. CCPD

CCPD New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:54421459
    A user recently attempted to scam me and admitted to do so in chat. He already has 3 friends trade banned for similar scams which could be his alts. Since the scam wasn't successful, shell I report him or it would be pointless since he'll just make another account to keep scamming? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      177.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      236.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      232 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      225.8 KB
      Views:
  11. CCPD

CCPD New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:54421459
  12. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Make a report we will decide that.
  13. Sergiu A.

Sergiu A. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:7826533
    A few months ago I was scammed by a user on a transaction through wirebank (150$), but got my money back by reporting him to the local authorities. At that date he wasn't an active trader on that account any-more, but now he's back in the business with a pretty legit profile (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971115808). What kind of evidence do I have to attach for the report to at least be marked as cautious account, with the report being active?
  14. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    You would need to prove the original action took place. We require certain things such as the agreement with the user showing them breaking that agreement. If you don't have that the rest is very hard to tie to this user. Basically you need 100% proof of the scam or attempted scam.
  15. Sergiu A.

Sergiu A. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:7826533
    I do have the report made on his name and his father (he used his bank account), but I'm afraid there is no really connection to his steam account, besides the proof I provided to the police - like past transactions on the same date me sending the money to the bank account and he sending me the keys :(.
  16. Zeraken

Zeraken New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50445622
    I'm wanna get any good steamrep. For example - MIDDLEMAN. How I can do it?
  17. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
  18. [JCGG] Jomarcenter - MJM

[JCGG] Jomarcenter - MJM New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44619298
    I have a question that is bothering me... how come Backpack.tf is just a friend of steam rep isn't they have a very useful tools and heavily uses steam-rep API over their own site heavily. what are the requirements to be a partner?
  19. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    If we go by that logic, DotA/CSGO Lounge should also be partners :/
  20. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Friends is "we acknowledge and approve of SR" by that community. Partner is those communities that put in the extra mile handling reports and appeals and such. The latter has more requirements and requires some training of the admins of said community etc. Depends on the community if they want to invest that time and effort.