1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Obvious abuse of steamrep by /r/tf2trade

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by imphasing, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Here's a hypothetical example of egregious vote manipulation that would represent a CAUTIONable offense in my book. (I'd certainly uphold it on appeal.)
    • A person uses Reddit alts to massively downvote all other offers on a trade other than theirs (which they massively upvote up) and uses fake accounts to defame/harass the other bidders on an item, in an effort to exploit that forum to get an unfair trade advantage.
    or
    • A person colludes with friends to do the same thing as above.
    There are all sorts of variants of using deceptive practices to "win" at trading and they'd all be the sort of thing that can affect your reputation on SteamRep. It could be argued that it's more like fake rep than our other listed offenses, but I'd personally stop short of saying it's the same-- it's deceptive trading behavior, though.

Obviously, casual everyday asking a friend to upvote a post is not the same sort of thing, and from the wording quoted in this thread, it's clear to me that Scalia wasn't implying that casual upvote silliness would be a SteamRep-level problem.

I think from the responses, this was somewhat ambiguous to the Reddit community, so I think it is quite fair to ask for clarification to be sure there's little to no gray area.
  2. [Gent] Jeremy

[Gent] Jeremy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26649445
    In his first post though Mattie he said that even asking for votes in your post *may* get you the mark. Can we just have an official word on exactly what tf2trade mods could mark somebody for with this?
  3. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Note that I also forgot that the post cannot be seen by others. :( Reddit doesn't show us mods clearly that other people can't see the text, etc. I've included a screenshot because Scalia stated the intent was to remove the post from the front page, not to hide it entirely. (Ignorance != Malice)

http://screencast.com/t/UoXL3Jvq
  4. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    SteamRep can't describe every single possible trading practice that would get you a mark. It's intent based-- if someone was deceitfully abusing any system in any community to get an unfair trade advantage (or to steal), that is worthy of something to report to SteamRep. Whether it is taggable depends on the proof, the perceived intent, and the severity of the deceit.

If you have specific actions you'd like to confirm would be unlikely to fall under this, please ask away-- I think for the most part you understand the intent we have here at SteamRep, though. If someone is actually tagged for an activity then it would be much easier to rule on their case specifically.
    [WP] VenGanZa likes this.
  5. [Gent] Jeremy

[Gent] Jeremy New User

Steam:
    Ok well I'll shoot with a couple of instances:

-Whenever I make a trade with somebody I ask them at the end something along the lines of "If you enjoyed trading with me all I ask is that you upvote my thread so that I can be exposed to more people", I'd assume that it would be alright for this, but the wording of the original comment and then the replies that he made to the post make it also sound like this is completely wrong but pretty unenforceable.

-Is asking for upvotes for visbility in the title of a thread worthy of a steamrep mark? What about casually reminding people if they like the trade to upvote?

It's my understanding from the thread that these are both against the rules. And I'll admit, both things can be annoying for multiple people, but neither are trying to steal something from anybody or even give an unfair advantage (anybody who posts could do these things).

I guess a lot of us are concerned because a steamrep mark is not something to be taken lightly. It can completely break a person's trading career, even if it is just for one community. Having any mark makes everybody hesitant to trade with you, so these things need to be carefully analyzed by not only the admins but the community that makes up the steamrep users. We need a certain degree of visibility toward what is going on to be able to use the database as intended.
    roflcopter likes this.
  6. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    I can't see any scam-related problem with this behavior at all as described, especially if you just had a successful transaction. It's not really proper reddiquette and perhaps a subreddit wouldn't like this, but in most forums, since you're not seeking to trick anyone, there isn't anything deceitful going on here.

While some forums may not like it internally, I don't see anything deceitful there that I'd mark for-- our policy wouldn't apply to that. We're looking for deceit or misrepresentation-- that's not really pushing any boundaries there in my opinion. I would push hard to vacate any tag that only has this as a basis. This wouldn't be within our mission to punish this kind of behavior.

Agreed.

Agreed on the seriousness of these tags-- Helen religiously says the exact same thing when discussing handling of scam reports. Tags are not taken lightly and can really hurt people's reputations even if temporarily applied. They are meant to protect everyday traders from imposters and thieves.
  7. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    This is getting silly
  8. [Gent] Jeremy

[Gent] Jeremy New User

Steam:
    Thank you for your replies Mattie. A lot of us traders just felt like the wording implied the liberal application of SR marks and we were worried about the implications of it. I think you've cleared a lot of things up though and we're on the same page.
  9. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:4565259
    Wow, just pack it up and go home why don't you. The rest of you Benedict Arnold's phoning it in too?
  10. roflcopter

roflcopter New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23038392
    No point arguing against a brick wall (or something like that)
  11. fxu

fxu New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:12100580
    This is nice. It's nice to watch s✿✿✿ go down from the sidelines for once. WE GOTTA HAVE MORE OF THIS. BEST ENTERTAINMENT I'VE HAD IN A WHILE.
  12. [AnB] Ferox

[AnB] Ferox New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:38032807
    I agree with Scalia. I see the theoretical crime on par with shilling, alt-abuse, and auto-bumping software. I have no problem with the SR markhammer going down on "extreme" cases.
  13. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    While I can understand the concern with tag application from SR Affiliates (and I know SR itself looks carefully at this), and of course it is proper and correct for the OP to question the issue at hand, I believe Mattie sums it up quite nicely.
  14. MacroPower

MacroPower New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:40378628
    I think the term is "beating a dead horse."
  15. roflcopter

roflcopter New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23038392
    Call it whatever makes you happy. I'm far from happy about the outcome here, but the SR Circlejerk has taken over.
  16. SiickNastikillr

SiickNastikillr New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41868651
    Let's be honest here: Is it the SR admins, who are sticking to the policy they laid out months beforehand, circlejerking, or the redditors, whose posts make up the first parts of this thread, although only one post would have sufficed, the ones who are circlejerking? In addition, whose site even uses that word often?

It is pretty obvious right now that you are just mad that SR was not gonna kick out Scalia, maybe because of some issues you seem to alluded to have had with the mods/admins of r/tf2trade, or maybe just because you thought he stepped out of line.

Either way, this failed "manhunt" by r/tf2trade just proves that redditors may not know as much as they think they know even further....especially after that terribly proven accusation of AcesGamer a couple weeks ago, which was upvoted by redditors, and that Scammer AMA earlier in the year, where people applauded the scammer for going after sharks.
  17. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    Let's not resort to any kind of name calling. The thread and drama is over now. :)
  18. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I did have a discussion with mattie on this few days ago. However badly worded the original post was, there is a essence of truth there, but it doesn't apply for the "few" upvotes most achieve by asking trade partners. Its for those doing it on a larger scale. I'm not going to comment on what scale exactly (for its not exact anyway), but I do want to exert that this doesn't apply to over 99 % of the cases.

If any of the users on reddit are doing things in such "extreme" that this question arises, then they should start thinking again about their actions.

As chaos said, the thread and drama are over, and I will close the topic now. I do trust the above is enough of a guide so that most are informed now to their satisfaction.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.