1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted Report: 76561198031459818 - ([CSGO] Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Items)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by Judicious, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judicious

Judicious New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13774920
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Gambling] Gambling fraud or spycrab runner
    Virtual item type involved: [CSGO] Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Items

Accused profile: 76561198031459818

Victim profile: 76561197987815569

What happened? Description:
    The accused added me and tried to scam me with a variant of the con known as "advance-fee scam" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam ).

Advance-fee scams try to use the victim's own greed against him: The scammer promises to give a larger amount to the victim, if only the victim will part with a smaller amount first.

The accused asked for me to help him withdraw 1 million coins from the (fake) CSGO gambling website http://spacebet.pro/ . He proposed to send me his 1M coins balance on the site using the the internal website system if I would then withdraw the coins in the form of two CSGO knives and hand them to him. The knives would cost about 820k coins, and I would get to keep the rest of the balance for myself. (See conversation in attached images.)

In reality, the website is part of the con—a fake gambling website that mimics a real one; it allows you to log in using Steam Open ID, and is controlled by the scammer. When the victim logs in the fake gambling website after being contacted by the scammer, he will see a balance of 1,000,000 coins indicated next to his username. By clicking on 'withdraw' he will be able to select from a list of CSGO items and request a withdrawal of his balance in items. The correspondence of the internal website currency (coins) to Steam Community Market USD value is 1000:1. Thus, 1,000,000 coins correspond to 1,000.00 USD.

At this point, after requesting the withdrawal, the website shows a note saying that due to a change of policy, the victim must make a 50,000 coins (50 USD) deposit before he can make any withdrawals. This is critical part of the trick: if the victim proceeds and goes to the deposit section of the fake website and sends the scammer 50 USD in items via trade offer, the victim will never see the items again (nor the promised 1M coins balance withdrawal, evidently).

Because it is rather cheap to produce the partially functional professional-looking website that integrates with Steam via OpenID to be used in this scam, and because the whole setup looks quite plausible and believable for the technically non-savvy user, this con/scam is, unfortunately, an efficient one.​

Provide Evidence:
    See attached images.​

Attached Files:

2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    @Judicious Did you happen to get a trade offer from a fake bot to make a deposit or no?
    Or do you know the trade offer URL that was there?

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  3. Judicious

Judicious New User

Steam:
    I did not. I stopped before doing a deposit. Their website is still up, however—if you wish, though, I can head back to it, and request as deposit trade offer.
  4. Judicious

Judicious New User

Steam:

Attached Files:

5. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    what is trade offer uRL? I see some mouse overs showing the URL but I don't see a full token to the steam trade offer URL.
  6. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Ehh nevermind I got what I need..also appears both users are already banned/tagged.
    You can also report both users to Valve.
    In order to do that, you have to:
    1. Visit the accuseds profile
    2. Click MORE drop-down located at the top right of the page
    3. Choose REPORT VIOLATION
    4. Select the violation, then describe it and provide the evidence
    5. Click SUBMIT REPORT

Click here to view an animated gif that shows how to report a violation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.