1. SteamRep is shutting down at the end of 2024. See announcement.

Create a forum here for rep threads?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by IkebotXP, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IkebotXP

IkebotXP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:6627768
    There are a great deal of cash trades out there and there is no central place to accumulate rep posts for them all. I think it would be great for SteamRep to make a forum that would allow Rep Threads to be created.

This would consolidate all the different places Rep can be placed, and since we have to login via Steam to post here we could know how the rep left is legit. And additionally if there is an issue with a bad trade or scam, this is the exact spot for someone to come to with negative rep since this is the site created only to track people's rep.

Any feedback would be great, especially since Sourceop only allows feedback left for their site's transactions now and Outpost is eliminating their rep system.
  2. CanadianInvasion

CanadianInvasion Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:11860924
    The generally accepted place for this is SOP, go to the forums on http:\\www.sourceop.com and read the rules to create a rep thread there. Steamrep exists merely as a database for listing scammers and their respective offenses. Having rep threads here would be one more thing that the admins would have to keep track of (as if the backlog of scam reports isn't enough).
  3. IkebotXP

IkebotXP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:6627768
    Yes I know where the standard place to go for rep is, but they do not allow rep for cash sales outside of Soueceop. It would be good to get a place where rep can be placed for cash sales outside of Sourceop, and admined by the Steamrep guys who are always top notch at keeping scammers away.
  4. moGwai

moGwai New User

I agree with Ikebot, Sourceop just doesn't feel as secure as it used to.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Problem for us is, that to admin that, we don't have the manpower to do it, while we are already with a huge backlog on reports and appeals. We had that idea months ago, but after talking among the admins, we decided against it for those reasons. I doubt it will ever be implemented, for some admins must dedicate their to admin those.

The best I can say is then to record them on another SR tag community.
  6. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    SteamRep is a site purposed to house a scammer database, and that's about it. There is no reason to include a reputation section here, especially since no trading takes place either.
  7. Fiskie

Fiskie tf2bazaar founder Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26166446
    I created a board for this at bazaar.tf since I felt SOP was a bit flaky for security. A recent example would be the fake sites that were set up by YouWishYouWas - whether you are logged in or not the control panel bar is easily unnoticed. Site has too much visible noise.

Since I wrote the BBS on Bazaar from scratch, it's built into the site so it's difficult to mimic and phish - you can't pretend you're someone else since authentication is via Steam OpenID and the URL is too short to be misinterpreted.

Anyway - http://bazaar.tf/board/rep
  8. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    You know, it is possible to plug your own idea without down talking someone elses.
  9. Fiskie

Steam:
    I guess getting your s✿✿✿ scammed out of you isn't that much of an issue then...
  10. CanadianInvasion

Steam:
    You completely missed the point of Chaos' post.
  11. Fiskie

Steam:
    No I didn't. So what, I own a website. That doesn't change the fact that from my point of view SOP is and always has been an outdated board for TF2 trading.

Gordon Freeman in the banner? Why is Gordon Freeman in the banner?
    I see that they've finally moved the forum to its own place instead of embedded in the site (was this in retaliation to the phishing)?
    Last but not least, the SOP rep only on SOP issue.

Putting a trade board on a forum designed for a source plugin just never made sense to me.
  12. CanadianInvasion

Steam:
    After Chaos told you that it's a dick move to put something like that in the tone that it is. You 100% missed the point.

That was such a backhanded statement. I'm appalled you even think you can defend it. In fact, you aren't. You simply shirk the comment and proceed to criticize SOP.

Creating a new place for rep is fine, but presentation of your point is everything.
  13. Fiskie

Steam:
    It was honest criticism from the start. Sure I'm blunt to the point but that doesn't give you the right to attack me. I don't have to wrap up my text in a writing style that isn't mine just so some people who are up my back trying to discredit me don't have some cannon fodder.

How do you want me to rewrite "creating mock domains for SOP is really easy to scam people with"? Because that's what has happened and it's an important issue.
  14. CanadianInvasion

Steam:
    Simple, dress it up with "I am still concerned about the security of SOP for these reasons, (insert supporting statements here). As an alternative, I have set up a rep forum for Bazaar here (insert link). Feel free to comment on how this can be improved."
  15. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

SR keeps on the position of that Reputation threads are to be located at the communities where the trading takes place, to be within their rules of what constitutes "rep". After deliberate discussions, such wont be on SR.

Closing the thread, no need for this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.