1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

What does it take to become trade banned?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Ninjabrain, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Ninjabrain

Ninjabrain New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41392005
    Okay, i am going to make it as short as i can. Basically, someone in a facebook group have been selling keys for cash, and using MY steam account as a decoy. He talks with people on facebook and tells them to send money to him. Then he sends them MY trade link and tells people to request keys from it. Of course, i decline these offers because im not giving away money for free to people. As a result of this, many people have added me and called me a scammer, even though i am 100% innocent and have nothing to do with this. I have also received many reports, and I am now on trade prohibition; every time someone trades with me they get a warning. My question is, if i get enough reports, can i get trade banned? I would hate if ~1000 eur got taken away from me.
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Things you can do:
    1. report it to facebook
    2. Get a alt, and put all your valuables over to it, so ppl can see there is nothing to get.
    3. Disable/change tradeoffer link on your account for a good while, so nobody can open a tradeoffer to you.
    4. Make a steam support ticket telling them the situation.
    5. state on your profile on top you aren't on facebook. Or even change nickname: "I have NO facebook"

As for Trade ban... that doesn't take much unfortunately. with enough profile reports on you you will get a trade ban. Not known exactly at how many that is, but when you already got a trade probation, then its not far shy of it.
    We don't know the triggers, but people have been abusing the profile reports unfortunately, and getting people banned by it without good reason.

/edit: you don't have a trade probation, you have this: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/expanded-faq-recommended.7263/page-3#post-194563
    Ninjabrain likes this.
  3. Ninjabrain

Ninjabrain New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41392005
    Thank you very much! I have done all the things you said, the guy on facebook used a fake account which got banned later that day. And thank you for clarifying that i am not on trade probation. Does that mean there is no risk of me getting banned? I understand if you dont know since no official information about this topic has been released by valve. Will i be put on trade probition before i get a ban? In that case, since i am not on trade probation will it be safe for me to trade back my items to this account?
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    If people start reporting a steam account for scamming, the things that happen then are in this order:
    1. Warning to other traders when a trade is opened to that trader. (where you are now)
    2. Trade ban for a period, the duration is probably determined by statistical info.
      1. When trade ban expires, you run into trade probation for another period
      2. Not sure on this one, but probably for another period the warning again after the probation.
    We just don't know how much reports and what frequencies etc it requires to get that far. All what we can estimate is that if there is a huge influx of those reports on a profile, it will probably go faster, and the duration be longer etc. We have no deeper information uncovered for that, and its not really our turf either. And its unfortunately sometimes abused by people. The whole system is automated, so you can't do much with it, which is why SR is taking Trade Bans by Valve with a grain of salt as we know that people can be trade banned by Valve by harrasment, or just plain for non-trade issues.
    Ninjabrain likes this.
  5. Fizzernix

Fizzernix Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:159128169
    • This is not how to appeal a tag.
    MY STEAMREP IS BANNED IDK WHY THIS GUY MADE EVERYTHING UP ABOUT THE STEAM WALLET SCAM HE TYPED IT HIMSELF WITH THIS ACCOUNT IDK WHAT HAPPENED THIS IS BULLSHIT!
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    This topic is NOT relevant nowadays. Don't exhume old threads. Archived.