1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Q: Is steam rep being unfair?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by DieselBlue☆, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CommanderDude7

CommanderDude7 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44186317
    Sounds like crocodile tears to me.
  2. This post is full of ✿✿✿✿✿✿, i'm sorry; but if your marked a scammer, please just go make a new account if it matters to you that much. If you want to try and get your tagged removed go ahead. SteamREP is to inform people that this person has done something bad in the past just so you know, it can stain people's reputation but, who really cares? This is about some guy with the IQ of a mouse trying to insult a helpful community of people who made SteamREP, i personally love SteamREP saved me from trading with a few Pay pal scammers, who would of known they were scammers if i didn't check here, first? I would have been out of $30.
  3. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

People have been comparing SR's tagging to be very strict vs jailing for crimes. Lets do a REAL comparisation:

In Real Life:
    - If you steal from somebody, you go for a x period in jail.
    - Jail time means that you have limited movement and communications during that time.

SteamRep/valve:
    1. If you scam, valve may Disable/Trade Lock/Trade Ban/Trade probation your account.
      1. If they Disable: your out of your account, and all on it
      2. If they trade lock/ban: you cannot trade anymore.
      3. Trade probation: Depends.
      4. Unless Disabled, this doesn't prevent you from playing your games.
    2. If you Scam, you get a scammer tag on your account(s), which is appealable.
      1. This means that you are not welcome on most SteamRep connected communities doing trading on Steam.
      2. This doesn't prevent you from playing games or trading.
    Notice something? Nowhere it inflicts real life sentencing to jail.

Steamrep is therefore a warning TO OTHER PEOPLE about scammers, to aid them to not be scammed. The tags are permanent, because it just happens way too much that a scammer only has 1 offense listed, but on some appeals you see that they had way more successful scams then listed on SR or ever reported. I've always been on the hard-line on this, and most admins are. There are exceptions, even to us, and we do seriously consider appeals if they are genuine. I'd say that a load aren't tho, they just try to get unmarked and continue once over. One of those appeals was running, and all along that guy was scamming while having that appeal open.

I agree that ppl CAN convert, or make a mistake. But does that mean we have to set a timelimit on a tag? Well, on appeals we sometimes say: We set him/her on SR Caution, which that person can appeal after 3-6 months after. If they don't scam, they get cleared after that.

So the impact of SR's marks are way different. All this, while the offenses are actually scams, and can be reported to the police for fraud or defrauding, which they should be able to investigate, my guess is that Valve will pretty happily work with any law enforcement on this. This indeed means that the scammer CAN face jail time or sentencing for fraud/defrauding/scamming. For most country laws, it doesn't matter if goods are virtual or not, if they have a value, and ppl pay for those, its within their investigating capabilities. If above a certain amount of money involved, and the victim is from the USA, they can report to the FBI Cybercrime division.

I know of several ppl who actually wanted to make a report (because I told them its a option), I didn't hear back on that tho. So I don't know if they have actually done a report to law enforcements. We of SR will cooperate with any investigation by law enforcement.
    Duskfall -a^DF and AcesGamer like this.
  4. DieselBlue☆

DieselBlue☆ Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33173726
    Alright, this is getting a little of hand. As I have said; 1: I said check my Steam rep account by all means (So don't flash around saying HES AS SCAMMER LOLOL)
    2: I am talking about the impersonators ect... Not people who steal items (Scammers) As I have stated I 100% agree these people should be banned but the people who have not yet had no intention to scam while impersonating ect.
    3: Please stop stating the text from the example is me, because it's not
    Please stay on topic...
  5. DieselBlue☆

Steam:
    Its not that easy to say: Oh can I not be a scammer any more. And plus; How is any one going to get accepted if there are servers which allow nobody except racists and mistakes.
    And also, If i made a new account I doubt being F2P and losing my items is better than staying with a scammer tag. I believe steam rep is a great thing but some innocent or unnecessary accounts are being marked too. But It is kind of stupid for being marked as SCAMMER for not SCAMMING.
  6. DieselBlue☆

Steam:
    You obviously don't understand
  7. DieselBlue☆

Steam:
    It is very hard to tell. Whether they are trying to joke or not which I can understand is why they mark them but for instance I impersonated 'PinkTaco' just for a joke so I went on his server to see peoples reactions totally missing the rules and guidelines in which someone unboxed a unusual I left as soon as that happened changing my name back and went to bed waking up to a horrifying scammer tag on my name. You probably don't believe me but I can tell you not all of them are done for stealing.
  8. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

1. Not sure what you want "checked".
    2. Impersonation only needs 3 minutes to scam.
    3. Nowhere I implicated that I was directly discussing your status, for if I where, then it would be a appeal thread.

on your subnote of staying on topic, I actually WAS on topic, this topic isn't a case report/appeal, therefore a general discussion on what SR does or not. While people may refer to the posters status on the very topic, or go deeper on some other smaller subjects, its still on topic. So while you call "stay on topic", I so far didn't really see a big transgression from it.
  9. DieselBlue☆

Steam:
    What new account lol?
  10. DieselBlue☆

Steam:
    Sorry the 3rd was to everyone else not just you
  11. DieselBlue☆

Steam:
    Hmm, I have never seen URL scammers. Even though I have been scammed about three my self yes it is pretty easy but when they have a tag I does not stop them on other servers. But still most should learn their lesson as I have and believe me I am not going to impersonate anyone again lol.
  12. TheBloodMaster™

TheBloodMaster™ Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:15155616
    to be fair, there are people who are improperly given a scammer title for what some admins consider to be an "attempted scam" which would normally land a caution tag or something.

also, for the record, I've been scammed 3 times, one of the 3 the scammer did the right thing and gave the s✿✿✿ back.
  13. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

SR makes no distinction between a attempted or succesful scam. The intend is the same, so is the punisment. The only differences are:
    - that the scam didn't succeed
    - no items/money was exchanged

Those details do matter in a appeal, but i've always seen them as harder to overcome, for such can show less easily remorse by returning the items etc, for there is nothing to return.

We can't reject scam reports because the scam attempt didn't succeed.
    [WP] VenGanZa likes this.
  14. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I've added your steam account ID to your forum account.

|steamID: KAOS™ Nommas
    |steamID32: STEAM_0:0:56683477
    |steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198073632682
    |customURL:
    |steamrepURL: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198073632682

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  15. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
  16. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

he tried to hide it, with emphasis on "tried". And "it" being his IP.
  17. DieselBlue☆

Steam:
    To be honest, I did not know about steam rep until I had the tag and also being stupid normally ignored server rules so I didn't know impersonating was such a offence. I doubt I am the only one who had this too.
  18. DieselBlue☆

Steam:
    Yes that is my exact point, people are marked even if they had not even the slightest thought of trading
  19. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Oh we Admins can easily find out a user IP :)

It is curious to me that scammers beg for second chances, in the real world you criminal record is available to anyone who seeks it, and there are real and persistent consequences. Sure you may well find people who will give you a "second chance" or perhaps a Presidential Pardon: TF2 is a game however, and in this game ones reputation is everything, sully that and there are no second chances, simple as that.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  20. Markers

Markers New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35807771
    You couldnt figure impersonating another person to steal some items is an offence? You are an idiot.You should also get a idiot tag next to your scammer tag.

Stop crying here.Nobodys tags are being deleted.Go home,or where sh** hole you "live"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.