1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

I'm being impersonated

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Flawed Imperfections, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Flawed Imperfections

Flawed Imperfections New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:118309669
    This persons using my account name and impersonating me. Their profile underneath
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198057245088

Mine
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198196885067/

This person and his friend trolled me before then used my name and impersonated me afterwards, even not too long ago him and his friend once again joined my game with my name already set then killed me and told me to stop impersonating him and convinced a total stranger I was impersonating him and got kicked out my own game shortly after creating it, clearly impersonating me and trolling me nonstop now as well. The guy has 17,238 hours and only 15/70 achievements in Left 4 Dead 2 that he's doing this in...I mean come on how much more proof do I need!?
  2. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    why are you bumping a 3 years old thread?
  3. Flawed Imperfections

Steam:
    I needed inspiration on how to spread out my wording and what not since I couldn't really think of any other way to put it that's not even remotely similar to that, I mean my scenario is basically the exact same and besides why does it matter...I came here for help not to be criticized by something unrelated to what I'm seeking right now, I came here to get help anyway but it seems like this is the complete opposite of what I was expecting, I don't wanna be here arguing back and forth all week so yeah...
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    For future reference, you should create a new thread for something like this. Just to help you out this once though, I split your posts into a separate thread.

If someone is impersonating you, then you should report them from their Steam profile and select the option "Impersonating another user". We can't do anything about it unless they're provably using your reputation to scam, and even then marking them in our database won't stop the impersonation itself.
  5. Z o o f i e

Z o o f i e New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1679355
    There are a few ways to deal with this correctly.

You can report the user via their profile as Lava stated.

You can make a ticket via help.steampowered.com, they prefer you use the above but you still can use this second method. Valve likes using their support area for recording keeping.

You can leave a comment with ticket number on a Valve Employee's profile and they will look into it.

You can e-mail a Valve Employee. One Employee that accepts it is Jared C, he can be contacted via the following link: http://www.valvesoftware.com/email.php?recipient=Jared Christen

Please be clear and professional when contacting Valve. Do not contact them for SSA violations as they would rather you worry about your own account than policing others.
  6. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    This is all wrong, and you contradict yourself. You tell people to comment / email Valve staff, but then say "Do not contact them for SSA violations"...

Valve got rid of the scam reporting via Steam ticket method ages ago, the only official way to report scammers / impersonators is the "Report Violation" button on Steam profiles. Any other method (while it may work once in a blue moon) is incorrect.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  7. Z o o f i e

Z o o f i e New User

Steam:
    This is quoting Valve so it's absolutely correct. SSA Violations to not contact about include Purchased/Transferred accounts. Do some reading before you post and I can show you Valve encouraging the methods I've given. Also see Jared's profile 2nd comment: http://steamcommunity.com/id/JaredChristen
  8. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Jared makes no mention of using these methods to report impersonators / scammers. Only "help".

As per an official Steam FAQ, for reporting scammers you are to use the "Report Violation" button on Steam profiles: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3415-WAFH-6433#reportscammer
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  9. Z o o f i e

Z o o f i e New User

Steam:
    It's generalized and more suggested via e-mail and ticket. What you are saying is the preferred method but other methods are accepted. Naming and shaming publicly is discouraged heavily. But please feel free to ask their take on it!
  10. Flawed Imperfections

Steam:
    Thanks, I already knew of being able to simply report them for that reason but was just hoping for other methods that might help me in the same way but possibly faster, easier or better yet more efficient
  11. Z o o f i e

Z o o f i e New User

Steam:
    Usually it's best to make a ticket or report for impersonation. They do not get banned 100% of time, usually it's just an avatar removal and their name gets changed to their ID64. I've had problems with people impersonating me before.