1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Submitting Evidence of Fraud

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Goujon John, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Goujon John

Goujon John Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:5160073
    Does SteamRep accept YouTube videos as evidence?

I have been dealing with a guy I am confident is a scammer. He insists on using voicechat (Skype) so I can't get screenshots of the chat.

I recorded our entire verbal conversation (thanks nVidia GeForce Experience). I told the guy I was going to record the conversation at the start and he was OK with it.

So, I could link to the YouTube video from my Fraud Report. Would SteamRep accept this evidence?

The guy wanted me to send him a Steam Trade Offer with my very expensive items (PUBG Trenchcoat and Boots), then take a screenshot for him. He said he would go Offline while I did this so he couldn't accept the trade. He said I could cancel the trade and then he would pay me with BitCoin. I believe this is a scam and I am suspicious about this.

Firstly, me sending a screenshot to him of the trade offer - that doesn't prove I am trustworthy. So why did he want it? My inventory was public and he could see I actually had the items.

Secondly, if he has some kind of bot or script that auto-accepts certain trades, then I lose my items and he hasn't paid anything.

If SteamRep does not accept YouTube videos as evidence, then this is a big loophole which scammers will exploit.
  2. Goujon John

Steam:
    For clarity: I had told the guy I would only trade if he paid me in BitCoin in advance.
  3. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    No we do not accept videos - you can take FULL screenshots from the videos instead and provide them but if things are done over Voice then that isn't evidence we can use/accept. That doesn't mean you can't provide them but you upload a video, we see things and you delete it months down the road - therefore the evidence is gone.
    We don't have the capacity to host them either AND we don't have the time to sit here and watch them to find the evidence we need...that burden of proof is on the user making the report.
    There is no loop-hope - but rather you telling the user NO for doing things over voice or anything outside of SteamChat. You can discuss things however you like but when it comes down to the FULL ORIGINAL AGREEMENT make sure you both state that completely over steam chat and save it.
    We tag Steam Users - if you are talking over Voice we have no idea who you are talking to.

It's clear you are bringing this up after I archived your report for lack of evidence since that is what you did - but there isn't anything we can do to resolve that problem.
    We require certain things to review a report - it would be the same as if someone reported you without proper evidence, I'm sure you would be rather upset if we tagged you for things provided that never proved you were the one involved.

https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-submission-fundamentals.169802/
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/screenshot-guide-requirements.157969/
    There are a few pages you can read on what we use/need for evidence when making reports here.
    Clive likes this.
  4. Goujon John

Steam:
    I completely understand. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

I will follow your instructions.

This particular guy knows I know he is a scammer. So he is unlikely to try again. But I hope to catch out other scammers who keep approaching me with unsolicited offers to buy my stuff.

Thanks for your help.