1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

New guy in town (hi my names TemioMAN)

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by TemioMAN, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    Hello if your reading this your probably intrigued by the title.
    I am just starting out in the steamrep community and now have come to realise that I am a small fish in a big pond.
    I am not however new to TF2 I have traded a lot but about 2 months ago I have it a rest. But now in these couple of weeks I am back so I'm countinuing on with creating my group ignite gaming group and I want it to be part of the wonderful fun community that is steam rep, I am going to be looking for admins soon
    Thank you for reading this any comments are welcome ;)
    TemioMAN.
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

/backspace....

Pretty hard to explain, will make a FAQ item for this when less tired.... but the short answer is that SteamRep is technically not a community. It has a lot of properties of one, but it isn't, was never the goal of it either. The forum is a technical means for storing/handling reports/appeals and communications for us.
  3. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    Data can u add me I need to talk some more to you about steam rep and what not but u guys are basically like steam police or trade police?
  4. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    Hardly a policing force. While an SR or associate tag does hold a lot of sway, SR are in no way Valve, and can't trade ban, restrict or anything like that. Valve may ban someone for repeated scamming if it is reported to them, but SR lacks this ability. SR exists with the function to create a database of scammers, to prevent people being cheated by them, there are of course other purposes, but that is it's primary one.
  5. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    So your kinda like vigil anties?
  6. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    good ones though
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

We're there for the communities that are out there (SOP, UTC, SKIAL, JAG, .... lots more). We keep a database of scammers, handle reports, handle appeals etc. Communities that work close with us will ban any scammer. In turn we List their marked scammers too (with some requirements from us).

While we cannot impose a Valve Trade Ban or Valve Trade Caution, those can be limited in time, depending on valve's policy. We're a more permanent reference for a mark isn't going away unless successfully appealed to us.

While such is the case, we felt that some help was needed in the form of Guides or this subsection where ppl can ask questions or make topics in general.
  8. Mr.Bubbles

Mr.Bubbles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:45304035
    thank god that trade ban powers are exclusive to valve,steamrep admins would just perma ban everyone :O
  9. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I'm sure SR would come up with a justified mechanism if we could. Meanwhile, enjoying your Valve Ban much?
    Dronefly, HelenAngel and Black Adder like this.
  10. fxu

fxu New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:12100580
    Yes. They drive VW Beatles with police sirens.

Somebody has been a naughty boy. Get f✿✿✿ed.
  11. Mr.Bubbles

Mr.Bubbles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:45304035
    yes indeed,now i can't get sidetracked with trading and can finally concentrate on playing my games
  12. Oh hello. I'm a new fish in the water myself!

The name's Rylai (With the Banana tag). I'm more on the DotA 2 trading scene. But I don't get much traffic.
    I just kinda joined. I like it here. Nice enough people who are against idiots! Well, anyway, nice to meetcha.
  13. [JAG] Fuster

[JAG] Fuster New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:29064548
    I love intro threads! Thanks for the.. inter..esting.. thread Temio. Hello, and welcome to Steam Rep! And to you TaintedRainbow, i hope you enjoy your stay here!!
    Backseatsman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.