1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is there such thing as getting scammed because your inventory is set to public?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Quick Lemon l cs.money, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Quick Lemon l cs.money

Quick Lemon l cs.money New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:207917912
    I am not an experienced trader, but this sounded a little bit off to me.
    I added https://steamcommunity.com/id/Zefliixx/ on Steam because judging by his profile he is trading items for knives. I had to add him because his inventory was on private. Our conversation:
    1: https://imgur.com/a/sQ2IQ
    2: https://imgur.com/a/Wz2pJ
    If you don't click on random links it's okay: he said that he wants me to add him on discord so he can share his screen, SO I can see his inventory. I asked him to make the inventory public for 5 min just so I could take a look and see his items (we were meant to do a steam trade, so he had to make his inventory public sometime, no?). He disagreed completely. He said that he has got scammed before.
    Now I would like to know if there is such thing as making your inventory public and then getting scammed? How does this work?

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      53 KB
      Views:
  2. Quick Lemon l cs.money

Quick Lemon l cs.money New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:207917912
    at one point* sorry my first language is not English :)
  3. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    having your inventory public while having expensive stuff might encourage more scammers to try and scam, but it is definitely not a reason for you to get scammed, it's more common for scammers to have their inventory private then claim to have items that they don't, and then scam, which might be the case here
  4. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    First off this user is a scammer - make a proper report.
    Its best to keep any steam trade conversation on steam chat - don't use discord, skype, facebook etc.. those that won't discuss trades with you thru steam chat are clearly trying to hide something and its best to avoid them. If you really really MUST talk thru those other methods - be sure to document the formal agreement thru steam chat and have the other user confirm it and save it..you can always delete screenshots later. We only accept conversations/agreements thru steam chat so that's a big reason to be able to maintain proper evidence if you run into an issue. Context that you provided is exactly what you need to verify the full intent of the user attempting to scam not just what they may have on their profile. In some cases users have a legit reason for linking things or could state they are doing it for another reason.
    I hope that explains things for you and others.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  5. Sniper Pro

Sniper Pro FirePowered Head Admin Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49525162
    Just to point out: This user was reported on Fortress of Gamers this morning for impersonation and will be marked with a BANNED tag by FoG. I would block him and make sure to be careful of scammers in the future.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  6. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Public or private inventory, does not make any difference, scammers have methods for both.
  7. Zoofie_

Zoofie_ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:428249578
    Profile state does not matter, they try regardless. Some accounts are automated.