1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Whose profile was this wall of text originally from?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Hadjii, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Hadjii

Hadjii New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32577983
    Within like the last 24 hours, I received a friend request from two accounts already banned here on SteamRep
    The crazy thing to me is that the text on their profile is nearly identical.

A little google-fu turns up multiple more accounts, some of which are banned, some of which aren't.
    Is this basically a copypasta for scammers?
    I've seen some variation in the "Have ## steam level and counting" line, but the "I have been a PayPal verified member since 2005." appears to always be the same.

The accounts all have different names so I'm not sure who they're trying to pose as. Does anyone know?
  2. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Probably all of the above, might be the same scammer with multiple accounts, might have at one point been taken in some form or another from an actual person, might be used in part or whole by different fraudsters. But they're not really "posing" as "anyone" other than your average everyday reputable trader that you should "totes trust xdd"
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    It's the same one who came up with the "trusted friend" scam.

The names are not only different, but always rapidly changing. The scammer(s) impersonates whoever he needs to, whether it be a friend of the victim, someone from Valve, someone with a green tag, a Steam moderator, streamer, high profile competitive player, or bot.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  4. Zoofie_

Zoofie_ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:428249578
    It's a template on a website that shall not be named, some people follow the template from the site, some just copy it from other people's profiles.