1. SteamRep is shutting down at the end of 2024. See announcement.

Archived Appeal Review for 76561198240632180 (CatMarrow)

Discussion in 'Archived Appeals' started by CatMarrow, May 16, 2018.

1. CatMarrow

CatMarrow Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:140183226
    Appeal Review Request
    Reminder: Appeal reviews are not appeals!

Reason for Appeal Review: Other extenuating circumstance at admins' discretion. NOT USUALLY GRANTED!!!
    Past Appeal: https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/appeal-76561198240632180-catmarrow-banned-by-sr.183100/

Steam profile: 76561198240632180 (CatMarrow)

Make your case:
    I did one scam 3 years ago that was unsuccessful. I was a bratty kid who thought I was cool. My original appeal was because of a change of heart. I think that it's clear that I have had a change of heart since it has been three years and I have attempted no more scams besides the one. I understand that it sounds suspiciously like i'm begging for another chance to plead my case, but I believe my case was handled unfairly. If I may say so boldly, that there is clear evidence that my heart is changed, and that i'm confused as to how my original appeal could have been denied.

In summary, I am not just asking for a second appeal, I believe that the appeal admin mishandled my case.

Thank you

(I'm not sure why I need to include a file, so i just included a random picture of me lol)
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018
  2. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    First off, I removed the picture. We don't ask for any kind of personal info, including real name or photo.

The reason you needed an attachment was because evidence is required for both appeals and reviews, and that's to make sure you provide it.

So you are claiming which of these? (pick one)
    1. The admin demonstrably broke our policies when handling your case?
    2. Extenuating circumstances, which would not happen with any of the other 600-ish appeals, applies to your case?
    Please elaborate.
  3. CatMarrow

Steam:
    I suppose it's that the admin broke the policies. He ignored the clear evidence that I had a change of heart. And i'm sorry for the picture. It was just the most recent pic on my pc. The admin ignored the fact that i had not attempted any scam in 3 years straight, which clearly qualifies as a change of heart.
  4. CatMarrow

Steam:
    So, I guess, I clearly met the requirements for the ban to be lifted, yet it wasn't
  5. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Alright, so you meant to select "The appeals admin violated SteamRep policy" option, not the "Other extenuating circumstance at admins' discretion" one, right?
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
  6. CatMarrow

Steam:
    I suppose. I just didn't want to fault the admin since he has alot of appeals to do and has to go through them quickly. Originally I made a thread here about mod abuse but that was just an act of frustration because I believed my case was handled incorrectly.
  7. CatMarrow

Steam:
    I also feel as if the admin was making the argument that I wasn't truly sorry because I only took action once the consequences of my actions were effecting me, but it was simply because I had almost forgotten the incident. I was a kid who was desperate to fit in with my friends who I was playing with by getting some fancy tf2 cosmetics. We were trying to make a tf2 Highlander team and I was the odd guy out without cosmetics, since I just got the game. Since I was a dumb kid, I thought it would be cool to pull a quick con. Scamming is never something that I would ever think of doing as the sixteen years old I am today.
  8. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    So are you requesting a second appeal because you believe the admin clearly, and demonstrably violated policy? Or is it, like many others before you, because you simply don't like the outcome and are pressing every possible measure (up to and including tantrums elsewhere in the forums, apparently) until you get the outcome you want?
  9. CatMarrow

Steam:
    Admin mishandled my case. It is that simple. And it is not just the outcome i want it is the just outcome that i deserve. What i did elsewhere in the forums was wrong, but i stand by the fact that the admin mishandled my case.
  10. CatMarrow

Steam:
    I had a change of heart, It was clear. The admin did not see it. The admin was wrong. Simple.
  11. CatMarrow

Steam:
    If denying my change of heart appeal when there is a clear change of heart is not against policy, then it definitely should be.
  12. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Change of heart is up to the admin to decide, at his/her discretion, not yours. Because it's impossible to look inside someone's head and know if they're truly a better person or telling the truth (even if we visited in person), change of heart appeals essentially boil down to personal judgement calls. They can get rather subjective, and are handled on a case-by-case basis after a few automatically disqualifying criteria are screened out (e.g. multiple scams, certain types of offenses, refusal to repay, etc) by someone who has been many years of experience in differentiating scammers from innocent traders. Similar to repayment before your appeal: A lack of additional reported scams for X years does not guarantee any appeal will be granted, nor does it entitle you to a granted appeal in any capacity. It never has. Individual circumstances will be taken into account, and unless the admin is personally convinced you've changed after ruling out those disqualifying factors, he/she will still generally end up denying your appeal.

This is not the place to argue your case, that's what your appeal was for. In this step, we're only concerned with whether or not you have grounds to void your previous appeal and disqualify the admin from handling your case on the grounds of gross misconduct. You don't get a second chance at appealing if you don't like the answer, that's not what appeal reviews are for. They're intended as an extra level of oversight, for rare exceptional cases who fall through the cracks, so that someone caught in one of these special circumstances has a formal appeal to re-appeal properly while still remaining fair to everyone else who didn't get a "second chance".

Your personal word that you've changed is not proof that you're safe to deal with, so the admin was not required to take that into account. Glancing over the appeal, he did give a very straightforward explanation of why he felt you were not genuinely remorseful. In doing so, he took both your forgetfulness (in private notes) and "3 years since I scammed" (publicly) into account. I don't see any clear violation of policy here. Was there some other rule or policy I missed? Could you perhaps link me to the relevant policy that I'm forgetting?
  13. CatMarrow

Steam:
    Nothing you missed I suppose. There seems to be nothing I can do to get this ban lifted. However let it go on record that I will never scam again. If that is not enough to get my ban lifted then so be it. Thank you for your time.
  14. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Appeal decision upheld.