1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

The Report Forums Need a Rework for One Particular Thing

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Wyvernosis, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Wyvernosis

Wyvernosis New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:146128647
    (This is not me arguing over my report not being accepted, this is just a suggested change we should do and I only put in my report as an example as to what happened and why we should do what I suggested.)

So I recently reported a scammer attempting to phish and scam out my items, but I caught them through some of the Steam chat, but mostly on a Discord chat and Discord voice chat. The problem is, Steam Rep doesn't accept any chatlogs outside of the Steam chat, which is why I propose we change something as I'm realizing this is starting to happen pretty commonly: we need to allow chatlogs to be universal.
    Many scammers have been adding me through steam and then ask me if they can add me on Discord so we could voice chat. I don't know if this is because Discord is better in their eyes, or this could be a case of them attempting to avoid being marked on this site by using an external site (The marked ones probably were marked before they used Discord). When I finally found someone who didn't have a mark and reported them for doing this, my report wasn't accepted because it was in a Discord chat, which is kind of outrageous when if you look at the evidence, he was looking to scam me, and again, I was willing to give some video evidence, so this guy can still go around scamming others whilest using trading sites to sell his stolen items.
    I do believe this will help out with cleaning a lot of people doing this and as I said before, this could be a way they avoid being banned on Steam Rep, so if anyone wants to discuss why this shouldn't be, please tell me why, but honestly, Discord chat and Steam chat are the same thing besides the ability to video chat. I cannot see why Steam is the only thing we have to use as the scam was very related to what can be reported on Steam.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    If someone wants to take you away from steam chat to Discord or facebook, instagram or anywhere else to discuss a trade then that is fine...some even want to use voice.
    BUT make sure you type out in steam chat to that user or have them state the "Formal Agreement" on steam chat and save that. That is what we are looking for...IE: 4 CSGO Keys for $30 Paypal - and it includes paypal address/email to send funds to also in that.
    That is really all you need. We are taking reports for STEAM users not Discord users..not Facebook users. We can only investigate certain things that link to that STEAM ID...not so much the name they use either.
    I wouldn't call it outrageous at all... we just can't tell who you are talking to on Discord regardless of name - we don't know who that really is.

So at the end of the day - either keep everything on steam chat or at least state a formal agreement on it or don't talk to that user. If they refuse that should throw off red flags quickly - which is the kinda things you need to watch out for when trading. A good honest trader will work with you on your terms and how you wish to communicate.. after all the same words they want to tell you on discord can be said on steam chat just as well and mean the same thing.

I'll also note FULL screenshots at all times - the new steam chat sometimes won't show up a date - without a date some where on the screenshot we may not be able to match up the event to what is said.
    Review these guides for help - most certainly the last link since you mentioned wanting to phish you out of your items - we don't review phishing reports and those should always be directed to Valve.
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/screenshot-guide-requirements.157969/
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-submission-fundamentals.169802/
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/steamrep-investigative-policy.140101/
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  3. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Simple question. Someone is talking to you on discord or something outside of steam..prove to me that it's the same person who contacted you on steam, I bet you wouldn't be able to since it's not possible beyond subjective doubt, they can always say "that wasn't me" and nobody would be able to prove otherwise.
    [M&C] TheBluekr, Lava and Horse like this.
  4. Wyvernosis

Wyvernosis New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:146128647
    Well the man I'm referring to impersonated with the same name on his steam profile and discord profile.
  5. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
  6. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    You cant prove its the same person on discord tho, it probably is since that's how scammers are getting away with a lot of garbage lately and I also dont see why they would have you add a discord acct that isn't theirs.. but you can't prove it. That's the whole reason they use discord, they know you'll never be able to prove anything. :(