1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Steamrep collects your personal data

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by MathysRL, Nov 22, 2018.

1. MathysRL

MathysRL Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:100472862
    Hello. I'm making this post because I got steamrep banned for Alt of my little brother, so its giving me a lot of informations about personal data usage on steamrep.

Even if this site looks like the magic solution against the scam, we are far from it.

So, by reading the FAQ I founded you don't give any informations about how you find alts, here is my personal theory, I know that everything is probably not true, but everything isn't false too.

When you login to a website, they use the system of cookie to login you back on the site and
    to target advertising on other websites. Steamrep is probably using cookies, but that's not all.

When you login on steamrep, your ip is recovered in order to know if other accounts steam are related to this ip, and thus to be able to detect the alts. So this system got 2 problems :

Collecting IP's without permission is Illegal, you have to ask to the user if he is ok to share the ip.

Persons living in the same house, so having the same IP are detected as alt, even if they are not the same person (that's how I got sr ban :D )

Second, they are looking if you have friends in common between the accounts. That's stalking, this isn't illegal but ethically speaking it's about collecting personal information. How lucky, you founded one of my cousins and 2 of our friends (common friends with my brother)

Yes, I unfriended my brother on Steam, so they had to think without proof that I wanted to detach two accounts belonging to me. That is false. When he sayed me he scammed Hitman 2 to a guy, I deleted him because I do not want to be associated with scamming, that was not a good move because now I'm banned on steamrep!

For reading some posts, I know it will take months for an answer, probably negative to get detached from my brother's account.

However, I would ask you not to delete this post which evokes a sensitive subject, and answer accurately to some simples questions :

Do you recover the ip / personal information of people connecting to steamrep?

What is the response time for someone who has been banned wishing to appeal ?

If you collect information belongs to the steamrep or are they resold in order to make profit ?

Do you proceed to stalking to find alts ?

Thanks for reading
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    I will leave the response of the majority of this to PR, I do just want to answer two of your questions:

This information is outlined in our appeal tips thread ( https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/appeal-tips.66354/ specifically point #16)

Without making any comments on what information is or is not collected (again, will leave to PR), the answer is no, we don't sell any kind of user data.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  3. MathysRL

Steam:
    Well thanks for your help, now what I need to know is why my little brother being on the same ip has been detected as alt if you do not get the ip
  4. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    That sounds like an issue that should be discussed within your appeal, and not here. The General Discussion forum is not for discussing appeals / reports.

Also, see https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/general-discussion-faq.132723/ #14 "SteamRep does not share specific methods of how we track users or determine why we think users are related."
  5. MathysRL

Steam:
    From a legal point of view you must be transparent if a data collection is done, even if it is not resold to advertisers. I do not say that as a threat but as information, but if the least collection of ip is made and it is not clearly indicated it is possible to shut down steamrep.
  6. MathysRL

Steam:
    Ok my brother just sayed me his profile was private before the sr ban so I'm 100% sure you collected ip's, just know this is not legal
  7. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Regarding topics of a legal nature, it's recommended procedure for our volunteers to cease further discussion on the topic without legal counsel. If you or your representative wishes to contact the organization to discuss this matter, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this forum or the contact form on the OFPF website.

Regards.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018