1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Using chrome/firefox can't sign into steam on steamrep.com

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by PurpleAcorns, May 20, 2019.

1. PurpleAcorns

PurpleAcorns New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:502413013
    Using either of those browsers when I try to log in via the "Sign in through steam" button, it takes me to steam's website, I hit sign in, and then it takes me back to steamrep but nothing seems to change. I also can't send messages or anything via it. When I click Send Message, it asks "Open Steam Client Bootstrapper?" but if I click Open Steam Client Bootstrapper, nothing happens. I assume that's because I can't sign in? I have been unable to find anyone else having these issues.
  2. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Assuming you're talking about the link below everyone's Steam profile information, those don't require you to log in. They're just "steam:" links, which get passed from your web browser to the Steam client. You'd need to be signed into Steam for them to work, but they're otherwise public.

That prompt is for security purposes; your browser is warning you before it launches an external application. If you allow, it would send a command to your Steam client (boostrapper is just part of the Steam application), but unfortunately, Valve broke the most of these links when they redesigned their chat user interface. Not deliberately, as far as we know, just one among many things that stopped working with their update and they haven't bothered to fix. Maybe they'll fix it some day, but until then, there's nothing we can do to make it work.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  3. PurpleAcorns

PurpleAcorns New User

Steam:
    Oh I see. Reason being is because I was hoping to message someone not on my friend's list and read that was the only way.
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    The links you're looking for are not locked behind a login, but (prior to the update, when they still worked) you'd still need to be signed into the Steam client, and you'd get an error if they weren't in your friends list. That wouldn't have helped.
  5. PurpleAcorns

PurpleAcorns New User

Steam:
    Ah. Thanks for the info.