1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is this a legit steam admin?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Modotta, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Modotta

Modotta New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:78859963
    Apparently I'm marked as a scammer and I had to contact this guy
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    to remove the mark.
    He's asking for me to trade several items so the 'database' could check them, but is sounds kinda fishy.
    Has anyone ever seen this guy?
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Please do not post users ID's in a general discussion thread.
    I've hidden it since this is not the section to do such a thing.

As for your question - You are not marked as anything - the user is trying to trick you plain and simple. Report them to Valve and delete them.
    Modotta likes this.
  3. Modotta

Modotta New User

Steam:
    I see, sorry and thank you.
  4. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Yes absolutely fishy... completely False and NO SUCH THING AS A STEAM ADMIN.... I hope you see this and just remove contact from them all.
    Most likely you had someone else send you to them.. based on your friends list prob the already tagged user but I'm not going to post the ID.
    You can see that already tagged user if you search their ID here on SteamRep. No sense in reporting them again - just report all accounts involved to valve using the in profile reporting feature.
    Follow this gif as a guide
    http://files.steamrep.com/015/SR_Profile_report.gif
    Modotta likes this.
  5. Modotta

Modotta New User

Steam:
    That's exactly what happened, a 'friend' sent a screenshot of a steam support ticket where recommendations were that I speak with this guy and trade with him so the database could check my items.
    Never thought I would fall for something so dumb like that, yet here I am.
    Things just got fishier when he asked for my username and password, I just thought that was TOO much.
    Already reported all accounts involved.
    Thank you.
  6. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:162125880
  7. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    A Valve employee who, by and large, doesn't interact with the community, and will never add someone in Steam asking for their password, items, account/financial information, or anything else over Steam chat. And no, they won't answer friend requests asking for support of any kind either.
  8. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    that's true, but "NO SUCH THING AS A STEAM ADMIN" is kinda misleading
  9. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    It is not misleading - There is ABSOLUTELY NO SUCH THING AS A STEAM ADMIN... Period.
    There are Valve Employees however they will NEVER EVER NEVER ask anyone for any information about their steam account, NEVER EVER ask about items, NEVER EVER EVER EVER ask to Verify anything of the sort.
    https://forums.steamrep.com/pages/about-item-checking-scam/
    This breaks it down more and why.
  10. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    so are you saying valve employees are just normal users?
  11. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Valve Employees are Valve Employees.... not everyone with that title so to speak may not even have anything to do with the steam platform directly. Hell they could be a janitor for all we know.
    All I can tell you and ANYONE else reading that there is NO SUCH THING AS STEAM ADMINS.
  12. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    yeah kids, feel free to post whatever you want on steam forums. there won't be any admins to ban you :)
  13. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    I'm not sure what your getting at here... those users that maintain order on the steam forums are Moderators.
    https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/moderators
  14. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    what about steam workshop content then?

no one can ban you there, since there are no steam admins
  15. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    We have nothing to do with the steam workshop here.
    All I can again tell you is there is NO SUCH THING AS STEAM ADMINS.
  16. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    so steam is in anarchy?
  17. Sniper Pro

Sniper Pro FirePowered Head Admin Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49525162
    You're implying that stating "that there are no Steam admins" somehow means there is not oversight of Steam as a whole. What Horse is trying to distinguish is the fact that the moderators of the Steam platform, whether that be on the Steam forums or elsewhere, are in fact given the title "Moderator." This is simply a fact. It is also a fact that there are no Steam admins. If you think there are, by all means show us. The people who work at Valve are publicly denoted, but they do not go around asking people to check their items against some "database" for legitimacy. That is simply not their role, not do they partake in some other kind of "admin" role with respect to the Steam platform itself. If you are contacted by someone who claims to be a Steam admin, they are in fact lying 100% of the time.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  18. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    well it kind of does imply that, it might be better to say "the only people who are steam admins are valve employees" (but that doesn't really matter, since scammers also impersonate valve employees
    i understand what he's trying to say but that doesn't mean that what he said is any more claer.
    good job answering your own question
    i never said that they did, just that there are infact admins (valve employees) and saying there isn't is very misleading.

i bet tomorrow horse is gonna post something like : Yes, valve who makes steam is administrating it, but there is NO SUCH THING AS A STEAM ADMIN! ALL CAPS MAKES PEOPLE CONVINCE HARDER
  19. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    here's what i think would be best to tell people:

• The only people who have administrative item access in Steam are valve employees.
    • Valve employees will not contact you about official steam business through steam chat, instead youll have a message from steam support.
    • Members of the steam community are not administrators, but only moderators who only control the forums and NOT the economy
    I feel like this is both accurate and will clear up all confusion. anyone else agree?
  20. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    no