1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

virtual url

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Naleksuh, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:162125880
    suggestion: make it so that going to steamrep.com/profiles/76561198284517488 or steamrep.com/id/Naleksuh will load the users steamrep profile
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Explain in better detail? A search of a users ID64 is always best.
  3. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    this way is good cause i can load their profile but change "community" to "rep"
  4. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    backpack.tf also does it. speaking of which, when are backpack.tf bans gonna show up on steamrep?
  5. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    What?

Site bans or bans to services by partners or friends be it on their webpages/forums or servers don't carry over in any automatic function.
    Tags that Partners can issue are manually inputted and based off public evidence noted on a public page that they host which is then noted on the users Steamrep profile page.
    Just because someone got banned on a server for say "Bad language" in no way would that be a taggable offense here. Partners follow our tagging procedures and evidence requirements since a tag from them effects other communities and SR's database as a whole.
  6. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    steamcommunity.com/id/naleksuh --> steamrep.com/id/naleksuh
    also backpack.tf works like that
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    We wouldn't narrow down searching here beyond what the SR profile block provides.
    We discourage users from using custom URL's when making reports since a custom URL can be changed at any time.
    | steamname: Naleksuh
    | steam3ID: [U:1:324251760]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:0:162125880
    | steamID64: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198284517488
    | customURL: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Naleksuh
    | steamrep: https://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198284517488

This block of information serves us plenty and I'm sure anyone else just fine.
    What another site does with their hosting or address returns is entirely up to them.
  8. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
  9. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    One problem is that we try to discourage use of custom URLs, because scammers can and do change them quickly and repeatedly to cover their tracks. So the same short SteamRep URL pointing to one profile may point to someone else's (or nobody at all) a moment later, when a scammer updates it. As such, I would recommend against using them.

That said, I think this is a reasonable feature request, given we already support searching by URLs. It may fall out of priority with other backlogged coding projects though.

Until it gets implemented, you can search by vanity URL by putting the entire link after the ?q= in the URL. Example: https://steamrep.com/search?q=https://steamcommunity.com/id/naleksuh
  10. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    Ah ybut you can make it so that steamrep.com/id/naleksuh redirects to steamrep.com/profiles/76561198284517488
  11. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    Wow, there's been a whole pandemic since I last posted here. Has SteamRep fixed any of the critical problems with their website in the last 2 years?

Nah of course not
  12. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    It isn't high priority and you were already told that... as you also noted a pandemic and well we are of course all busy with that and other things.
  13. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    As I have explained multiple times this entire website is fundamentally flawed. Imagine taking just screenshots which are so easy to fake as sufficient proof. Fortunately most people are ignoring these rubbish "bans" by now and moving onto other website
  14. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Submitting screenshots has nothing to do with the web site here? You submit them as we ask them and we know what we are looking for. There are still a good deal of users that utilize our tools here such as the tags to help them determine if they wish to deal with each other. To each their own but that is what we are here for.
    We appreciate your concerns and your critical thoughts but try to keep them focused on the topic at hand.
    In the mean time as we noted pls be patient with regards to the previously mentioned and current topic at hand as we have other things we have on our plates prior to this.

Thanks!

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    ♪Mr.Dr.Prof.Dj♪ likes this.
  15. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Certainly the market has changed, TF2 has changed over the last eight or so years since I was au fait with most things, and yes I can see how SR is not quite the powerhouse it once was....

Having said that, let me tell you Sir, that SR was never flawed in any way, the quality and diligence of SR staff was above reproach and fundamentally why many traders avoided scams. The SR plugin alone was a Godsend. You have no idea how much bullshit SR staff had to wade through to make sure investigations or appeals were beyond reproach. A scant perusal of guides and such along with a brief examination of many appeals should show you that SR did not cut corners nor jump to sudden conclusions.

The topic here is how to identify users, and I believe that is covered above by Horse quite well.

My issue is that I believe your criticism of SR is flawed, not the "website". Certainly I spent a lot of time working with Helan Angel and others and thus learnt a lot about the effort that went into SR and its methodology, and granted normal users would not have my perspective, but honestly it does not take a Sherlock Holmes to read the various informational texts to figure out that SR has done its level best to keep the community safe from scammers and there is a plethora of information on just what is a "proof" and what is not and why.

For my part, I am saddened by the fact that history and circumstance seem to have rendered SR somewhat a yesteryear thing for many players. I do contend that SR plugin for trade severs is and should be fundamental, and fundamentally for me this is based on my certain knowledge that each and every SR investigation for thorough and professional, since as admin on many servers including unusual ones for years, I dealt with SR staff regularly and know that if I did not cross my T's etc, I would be in the s✿✿✿. Everything was by book, and PROOF was PROOF, simple as that.