1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

This site is a scam

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Flippy Boi, May 4, 2020.

1. Flippy Boi

Flippy Boi New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:175612090
    Guys don't trust this website its just a scam and they are letting scammers slide and scam more people.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    You didn't list any site but assuming you are suggesting SteamRep is... You submitted a report and it was Declined for reasons noted on the report.
    Please be sure to read that and the links provided so you can be sure to have proper/acceptable evidence in the future.
    Also from now on be sure to read our General Forum FAQ so you are aware that such threads like this are not permissible.
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/general-discussion-faq.132723/
    You can still report the user to Valve if you like instead.
    In order to do that, you have to:
    1. Visit the accuseds profile
    2. Click MORE drop-down located at the top right of the page
    3. Choose REPORT VIOLATION
    4. Select the violation, then describe it and provide the evidence
    5. Click SUBMIT REPORT

Click here to view an animated gif that shows how to report a violation.
    Thanks!

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Worldwaker likes this.
  3. Ultimate PC Master

Ultimate PC Master Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:102366946
    true
  4. _Blizzard_

_Blizzard_ Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:102035596
    I swear people just expect their evidence to be accepted no matter what. Hard truth is that SteamRep staff have to be strict about the evidence that they accept to maintain high standards and to avoid fake evidence to the best of their ability. There's a reason why SteamRep is the gold standard database of banned scammers.
  5. Ultimate PC Master

Steam:
    i swear steamrep was good back then, now its just meh, but hey they are trying their best let's cut them slack, its hard to maintain that certain reputation.
  6. _Blizzard_

Steam:
    I'm not saying to cut them some slack. Instead of just saying "i swear steamrep was good back then, now its just meh," why don't you elaborate on the reasons why you think they have gotten worse since then. People tend to be more receptive to specifics that are constructive. If all you say is that they are bad it provides 0 help to anyone and just wastes everyone's time. If you really want to see things change, then be detailed about the specifics you disagree with and provide suggestions that you believe would improve it.
  7. Ultimate PC Master

Steam:
    im not sure that's how they work but one of the things I noticed about them back in the day is they provide the service each user deserves but doesnt need they help people in a way to avoid being scammed and they help people be aware, they read and investigate cases thoroughly especially scam cases and yet now its more like a systematic/algorithmic type of checking (atleast thats what I have observed evidence that are tampered and edited are sometimes very hard to catch and very hard to notice but they still have that "flaw')
    what I meant by NOW is they are more systematic when checking is i think they rush things because of lots of cases etc, and they just ban people base on their "system/algorithm" to increase work output.

back then, retired admins and the likes tends to read scam reports/ appeals and do the right thing rather than just doing it systematically, they give time on cases. It's all in a rush right now and i wont be worried that one day SteamRep will instead become a legacy. i mean look at the recent bans at steamrep.com it'll be a good day to see 5 profile pictures there, but daily its only 3-4 people being banned everyday. people don't care about this site anymore, unlike the treatment it got a few years back , now its starting to become empty. people doesn't mind the site anymore 'cuz they think of SteamRep being a site with people patting each others' back instead of really HELPING people out. bring back the old SteamRep where admins really cared for reports and appeals where they give time to everything.
  8. _Blizzard_

Steam:
    I mean yeah that's understandable, you brought up some points that I agree with and others that I disagree with. I appreciate the time you took to explain your concerns. I think if anything they have gotten more systematic to decrease the inaccuracy with falsified evidence. A lot of people may not agree with their investigative policies, but I can see some clear reasons why those are in place and I think if anything it has at least cleaned up all the discrepancies that they have had to deal with in the past.

The part I really don't agree with that you mentioned was that they tend to rush cases. Knowing first hand if anything, most reports seem to take quite a while to be processed especially with the kind of evidence that the staff asks for to make the connections. Compared to any other server that bans scammers I can definitely say that SteamRep is the most detailed about their investigations. Most servers just accept whatever evidence they get and usually, if the evidence seems to match up then they will ban on sight. SteamRep, on the other hand, asks for each piece of evidence to be full-screen uncropped and they ask for you to hover over certain areas to show the Steam ID in the screenshot. If anything that benefits all users since no users should be falsely banned (not saying that it doesn't happen), no systems are perfect imo.

I agree with you that there are fewer bans per day, but I think the reason you are using is flawed. One thing I've noticed in my own trading community personally is that a majority of the newer traders are the most likely to fall for scams and many of them aren't aware of SteamRep because they had just joined the community. To build off that point, scammers in the CS:GO community have gotten much smarter and have learned to adapt to SteamRep's ban policies imo. To elaborate, I have seen a huge shift of scammers moving off of the Steam platform, moving into the Discord platform where they know there are fewer consequences for scamming user's items since they can avoid being SteamRep banned. Most if not all CS:GO trading communities have Discord servers and one problem I have been running into for the past 2 years is about 75% of the scams that happen on our server are through Discord and not in-game or Steam. There are very few instances where I can refer the user to SteamRep for reports because the evidence is either lost because they were unable to document the evidence or it was taken over Discord which is not accepted here. To be completely honest, this isn't SteamRep's fault either, it is almost impossible for SteamRep staff to verify the integrity of Discord evidence and to even prove that the Discord account is connected to a Steam account. One thing I personally wished SteamRep would change is the fact that only victims can submit the evidence. I get that this is in place to avoid multiple reports, but a lot of times I find that a lot of the newer traders when they get scammed, don't want to take the initiative to submit the SteamRep report. A lot of staff from outside servers are usually the ones being proactive about getting victims to submit reports and convincing them to do so.
    a Gentleman likes this.
  9. _Blizzard_

Steam:
    To sum up the part about fewer bans imo:

scammers are getting smarter on how to avoid evidence trails
  10. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691

There is a VERY good reason for this - and that is verifying identity to the accused. If we can't verify that someone was truly in contact with the other then we would have no way to confirm that they were in fact reporting the right user. Impersonation lately is hog wild and for that we have certain things we look for to ensure the proper person is getting reported.
    More often than not the wrong user gets reported rather than the one in contact with the victim therefore if the victim submits the report then it helps in a huge way to verify that.
    So with that we will never change that requirement...at least not as long as I'm here since relaxing that would make this work way to difficult to be accurate and therefore pointless.

Main thing I point out to anyone is if you are trading steam items make sure you note the formal agreement in steam chat and/or thru the trade offer message at the moment the trade happens....which doesn't matter if you are communicating thru two paper cups and a string..we have that and that is required evidence to verify.

Just noting that since this long winded conversation about discord came up and really doesn't matter...users will talk over discord, skype, facebook, whatsapp, telegram, phone call, whatever.... as long as you note that formal agreement thru a function of steam at the moment the transaction took place that is all we need.

Any honest trader will take that and allow it hands down regardless of where you communicate thru out the haggling.
  11. _Blizzard_

Steam:
    Much appreciated for the response and clarification Horse.
  12. ProPancakes

ProPancakes Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46091633
    I was banned 8 years ago now almost and still haven't been unable to be banned despite uploading appeals with sufficient evidence of all victims being repaid meanwhile I've reported people for scamming and have seen reports of people who have done worse and not repaid and still not being banned.

The site has no consistency with their rulings. It's a joke and only people in the TF2-sphere actually care about this site anyway.
  13. _Blizzard_

Steam:
    There are so many things wrong with those statements. First off, you submitted an appeal where although you returned the item in a reasonable time frame, you initially claimed it to be the seller's fault regardless of your initial trade agreement and attempted to sell it before realizing the repercussions initially. As much as you think you are entirely in the right, your initial intentions are most likely why they rejected your appeal. Also, just because you file a report doesn't guarantee that the user gets banned. There are strict procedures in place and if you took the time to read their clearly stated investigative policies, you would understand that. They collect evidence in a precise manner to ensure that no user's are falsely banned. Lastly, it's not just the TF2 community that relies heavily on SteamRep basically, almost every other Steam community that has trading involved relies on it.
  14. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581