1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

This site is incredibly dumb

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Link <3, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link <3

Link <3 Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30145030
    If there are mods reading this, please read this very carefully.

Seven years ago I was hijacked. I've made several appeals, trying to proof my innocence but to no avail. And I get why: My first appeal was lacking, and that was pretty much the only chance I had. But I was a dumb kid at the time. It was denied due to lack of follow-up: I provided them with a Steam Support ticket, one that was completely useless since I literally retrieved my account long before that, simply by logging in again. No Steam Support involved. One of my friends who reported me in the first place even confirmed this: https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198020555789.36081/
    There were no victims at all yet here I am, waiting for another 3 years with a ban tag on my name. Mods started asking me questions SEVERAL months later and I was denied because I didn't respond to these questions that were asked half a year after my follow-up. Now I am unable to make any further appeals because of the "Already appealed and denied, furthermore, you failed in the many appeal attempts since to provide any proof of your claim of a hijacking" nonsense. I really couldn't care less about losing my posting privileges. I've built good reputation in several large communities, and this one forum damages my image.

Either I want this to be looked at thoroughly or I want to have my account deleted from this website along any traces. I do not want to get involved with this community ever again.
  2. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Unfortunately we do not delete accounts or content. This is to ensure accurate record-keeping and transparency.
    I'm sure you are aware, but please refrain from discussing specific reports or appeals in the General Discussion section. If you are confused, please refer to points 2 and 3 here.

Thread locked until an admin responds.
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    We cannot delete your account or postings here. If we did, we'd have to allow every single marked scammer to redact our notes about their scamming history from our database on request, or else we would be playing favorites. In the process we'd also be called out for "censoring content" to "protect a marked scammer". They're effectively public records, which the community has a right to view when making an informed decision about whether or not to trade with you. That said, if you're not trading, then it should be much less of an issue for you.

We cannot discuss individual cases in general discussion. Lots of people use this forum to try and leverage additional appeals or favorable outcomes, and if we honored one, we'd open the flood gates for more, and drown out actual discussion. If you continue trying to leverage a favorable outcome here, in this section, our staff will be forced to ban you from the forums, which will prevent you from following any of the steps below until/unless said ban expires.

I'm afraid we also have a firm, non-negotiable policy of one appeal per person. We have a lot of reasons for this. It'd be unfair to everyone else still waiting in line for their appeal if we allowed a second appeal from you when you ignored the first one, and it would additionally disrupt procedures designed to ensure a fair and impartial evaluation of your case, like guaranteeing an admin who has never been involved in your case before (admin already denied). There is, however, a final stopgap measure within policy for people who fall through the cracks because of that one-appeal-per-person policy though.

Without having reviewed any details of your case (I'm required to have no prior involvement if I end up being the admin who works on it), you might be eligible for an appeal review. If so, read the following very carefully to decide if it applies to you, and to follow the correct instructions.

If, and only if, you have reason to believe the admin mishandled your case, you can submit an appeal review. Per our FAQ, you are allowed to have your appeal reviewed by another admin to decide if you deserve a second appeal, but only in the event of extenuating circumstances. And like appeals, they are also one per person, so you should make it count. To do this, you must choose one of these reasons, and explain:
    1. New evidence not produced in your original appeal.
    2. Unfair appeal. Note: A different appeal admin will review your original appeal and decide if their is enough to grant you a new appeal.
    3. Other extenuating circumstance at admins discretion.
    Example of new evidence: Reporter was later banned for submitting fake reports/screenshots to maliciously harm people's reputation, supporting your claim to innocence.
    Example of unfair appeal: Appeals admin had a conflict of interest, or mishandled your case (e.g. rejected by same admin who accepted report).

Appeal reviews focus only on the appeal itself, and why it was denied, not on your case. If granted, you get special permission to submit a new appeal, where you can again argue your case (and with no guarantee of a particular outcome). If you try to argue for removal of your tag, from within the appeal review, it will also be denied automatically (and again, one per person).

Our policies are strict, seemingly bureaucratic, and sometimes inconvenient, but they exist to ensure every case is handled fairly and impartially. They largely apply to what admins can or cannot do, so for obvious reasons, none of our staff have any discretion to make exceptions based on their own personal feelings about your case. If you still think extenuating circumstances apply to your case, see our appeal tips for instructions to request an appeal review. Read those tips over completely, and you will find instructions to petition for another appeal.
    Link <3 likes this.
  4. Link <3

Link <3 Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30145030
    This is the most reasonable and enlightening response I've received in the 7 years I spent on here. Thank you.
    Lava likes this.
  5. Tsurii • ツリー

Tsurii • ツリー Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:20519626
    With all due respect, though, this entire website constitutes a major, major issue.

In any case, the information you gather is only publicly-sourced in part. SteamRep appends publicly-available information with chat records, logs and other information (distributed by forum members) that is by no means publicly available. In addition, a conclusion is drawn by persons with no actual credentials (to my knowledge election takes place on the basis of 'trust') that conclude whether fraud was committed. Fraud being the word of choice of SteamRep, not mine (button on the main page clearly shows "report fraud").

SteamRep cannot legally claim to be a public record working with publicly-available information. It takes personally-identifiable information from Steam and appends this information with its own conclusions. In addition, having chatlogs between two individuals publicly displayed on this forum without the consent of one of the parties is also, needless to say, legally troubling.

Under the GDPR, you are obliged to provide data correction and erasure for the persons subject to the GDPR (read: the entirety of Europe). This is as you are a privately-owned project, not a public authority. With all due respect for the work done by SteamRep, you have no legal mandate nor are you a chartered organisation. SteamRep is an initiative set up by a foundation (OFPF). In effect, and without the intent to cause offense, SteamRep is a private project that plays at being an authority.

To make matters worse, in the words published on SteamRep, a "banned user" is a person who uses "deception, thievery, lies, or anything that is underhanded to take advantage of or steal from another". Ergo, if someone is unjustly and incorrectly banned (and branded a thief, liar, deceiver, or worse, having committed fraud), that constitutes libel, being written defamation of an individual.

In any case, you should be very concerned that the information published is accurate without a doubt. Limiting your own accuracy by "only allowing one appeal per person" is shooting yourself in the foot.

Does that mean that, technically, every 'scammer' has the right to data erasure? Yes. Is that what you want? Obviously not, but it's what the actual authorities demand. It's not a matter of "that's not how we work" - the relevant authorities require you to work like that.

"Protecting a marked scammer", "unfair to everyone else in line" and "censoring (your own) content" are not legal issues. The above, however, is.
    Link <3 likes this.
  6. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Regarding topics of a legal nature, it's recommended procedure for our volunteers to cease further discussion on the topic without legal counsel. If you or your representative wishes to contact the organization to discuss this matter, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this forum or the contact form on the OFPF website.

Regards.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.