1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

How to report an alt?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by draft, Jul 18, 2020.

1. draft

draft New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:26135656
    How do I report an alt account?
  2. _Blizzard_

_Blizzard_ Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:102035596
    This is something I'm curious about too if we get evidence pointing to an account being an alt of a SteamRep banned user. I do know that SteamRep has its own concealed methods of connecting alt accounts.
  3. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    You don't report alts here - we don't take them.
    Typically its super rare that anyone can conclusively pinpoint a link between users and its a rare 5% chance that anyone is even right based on what we view as conclusive evidence to link someone.

Therefore we don't want people just making "This person is an alt of whoever" because things they think makes it true usually isn't and then someone is getting reported with baseless accusations and we do not want that happening at any point!

If we find them we will link them...we don't want users going out on some wild vigilante hunt....if you know the user is also someone else to what you see just ignore them the same as you would the tagged account and move on to trade with someone else.
  4. draft

draft New User

Steam:
    Well I mean I've seen people go on their alts, gradually garner +rep small paypal transactions on their backpack.tf profiles only to do a massive paypal scam at the end.

It's just a safety precaution; I'm pretty sure these two are the same people since they have the exact same profile picture and name and the alt account was made recently.
  5. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    There are some people with over 500 alternate accounts - you can thank Valve for that.
    Either way we don't take reports for accusing someone of being an alt here because as you put it "same profile picture/name" etc.. .doesn't mean anything, absolutely nothing.
    Feel free to user search DOGE for example... by your stance every single one of those users are alts of each other.
  6. draft

draft New User

Steam:
    So no matter what evidence I have, multiple shared item ID history, literally the exact same name and profile pic, same friends, same voice on voice chat (saw him on a trade server, that's why I recognized him), it wouldn't matter since I can't even send a report.
    Nice.
    a Gentleman likes this.
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    That is what I said - we do not review reports accusing others of being alts.
    You can report them to Valve instead if you like.
  8. _Blizzard_

Steam:
    I get that you guys don't want reports coming in because a lot of them aren't conclusive enough. Would matching IPs for example count as sufficient proof that you guys would accept? I know in one scam report case you guys accepted it as evidence to connect the two accounts as we had the IPs logged on our server.
  9. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    We do not go into details as to what we review to link alts - that being said we still do not review reports accusing others of being alternate accounts.
    If a report was accepted it was for other reasons and what was provided was just provided by whomever, in no way does that mean whatever was provided was used or wasn't used to accept the report and tag the user involved.
  10. _Blizzard_

Steam:
    Alright, thanks for your response Horse. I appreciate it.