1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

GUYS HELP ME ITS URGENT T_T

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by vetns.#, Dec 7, 2012.

1. vetns.#

vetns.# New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52157138
    So This rcd guy from outpost selling the rare unusuals posted in my profile selling rare unusuals with tf2outpost.com/trade/WHATEVER NUMBER IS HERE when i clicked the link it redirected me to tf2outpost.tk

i feel that i will get hijacked please, any1 T_T
  2. vetns.#

vetns.# New User

Steam:
    Any trusted person i can trust with my unusuals please?
  3. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    can you post the link of the trade where the link is located so i can contact an admin on outpost in case it is a hijacking link and get it removed right away.
  4. vetns.#

vetns.# New User

Steam:
  5. Dronefly

Steam:
    I am confused. I am trying to locate this "link" you are referring to. Where exactly is this link? It is not on the profile of the person that owns that trade. Can you link me the profile where this link is located?
  6. vetns.#

vetns.# New User

Steam:
  7. Dronefly

Steam:
    The only thing you can do at this point is post a link on your profile WARNING them not to click it and let them know that you are being impersonated. If you clicked the link and have allowed the download of the item you need to go to another computer as fast as possible and change your passwords on your email, your steam. Then you need to use a virus scanner to clean your computer, reboot, run the scanner again. Once the virus name is located (the trojan, virus, worm, etc) then you need to read online on how to properly remove it from your computer. Do this RIGHT AWAY and do not have steam loaded on the computer that is infected. shut the program down as soon as possible. Also do not log into your steam or email account until the virus is removed.
  8. vetns.#

vetns.# New User

Steam:
    It never told me to allow / download something / im sure i never even clicked " allow " or something like that, ty man will do the steps right away
  9. KosToLoM

KosToLoM New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:40662207
    1-st way to protect your acc is :

Steam guard + mail with telephone confirmation ( gmail.com is excellent )
  10. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

1. The phishing/Hijack link is a Java Exploit, uninstall JAVA: http://www.java.com/en/download/uninstall.jsp
    2. Make sure you have a good antivirus, like Avast or ESET AntiVirus, and scan your hard drive (close all programs), and clean it up.
    3. Use malwarebytes to scan after #2.: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    4. Verify your steam mail linked to your steam account, and check that no forwards of email or other ppl have gained access to it. This is pretty dependent on the mail provider so no guide here, just mind: POP3/IMAP, Filters, forwards, aliases, etc.

@KosToLoM: not if on your computer without a need for the email the registered email can be changed.... I'm so against this....
  11. vetns.#

vetns.# New User

Steam:
    I uninstalled it now, would it be safe to re install it after some time?
  12. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Java is buggy as hell, always has been. I don't think it will ever recover from it, for every patch they introduce a few new bug thats been found, and Java's update management is also lacking as hell.
    http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/11/java-zero-day-exploit-on-sale-for-five-digits/
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/26/3410730/mac-pc-java-exploit

Java knows a update cycle of 3 months, with only rarely a emergency update.
    The huge problem is that if updating Java, it leaves the old versions on and installs it NEXT to it, instead of really UPDATING the installed Java version. So if you update, the old version stays accessible. So you can have Java 6 and Java 7 on your computer but also
    Java 7 Update 9
    Java 7 Update 8
    Java 7 Update 7
    etc, you get the gist of it.

I've de-installed it like 4 months ago, never reinstalled it. Don't really need it either.
    I'm aware that a load of online games use it, but I don't play those.

If you want to use it for somethin, I'd recommend to clear all old versions away, only use the latest, and leave it disabled in the browser till you need it and enable it only for that purpose. After it, disable it again...
  13. [qerp]ForUs

[qerp]ForUs New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42979734
    dunno if this helps but there are also plugins for some web browsers that allow you to block java on certain sites. No-script for Firefox does this.
  14. [qerp]ForUs

[qerp]ForUs New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42979734
    or maybe i should say, blocks for all sites except for ones marked as trusted and you can choose to permanently enable it on these sites or to only do it temporarily. ​
  15. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I'm aware of that (I am using noscript), but most people find it cumbersome to work with unfortunately.
  16. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    I feel for you vents, and I think datastorm has given you the necessary steps to make sure this does not effect you that much. As for uninstalling java completely I can understand datastorms reasoning but personally I think java is useful and used in websites like tf2 outpost. And now for modern browsers such as chrome,opera and Firefox their are addons to help combat java phising (not to reiterate what forus has said)
    But I think a point I should make is that I think that it would be worth it if we started to compile a list of phising websites that directly link to steam/tf2 and possible publish the list and a search tool on steamrep this is something we might have to go into more detail into in the future,and discuss the fees-ability of this
    My two cents
  17. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    I use Noscript, and yes it requires some user intervention and some decisions, but protection isn't free of cost :)