1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

My Mic is not working in Steam :(

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by drpeppercan, Jan 31, 2021.

1. drpeppercan

drpeppercan New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:2739608
    I ran a test on my Mic in Windows 10, when I talked the horizontal blue line moves so I know the Mic is working. But when I go to Steam, I can only see the blue vertical bar moving up and down for my friends Avatars, not for mine.
    Last year we played many times with the same games, settings, and hardware. I don't understand what changed.
    I used my headset about a week ago and I never had this issue before. If someone could help me out with this issue I would greatly appreciate it!
    Any ideas?
    Thanks guys
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    While this isn't exactly fraud related the only suggestion I can offer is to check your output settings within windows as in the Audio settings to make sure the default device is set.
    Lots of things change with windows updates and new devices added/removed.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, then select it from the results.
    2. Select Hardware and Sound from the Control Panel, and then select Sound.
    3. On the Playback tab, right-click the listing for your audio device, select Set as Default Device, and then select OK.

Besides that you may check with Steam using these instructions:
    You can check to see if you can hear your mic is working by going to Steam Friends & Chat and selecting the gear icon in the upper right and then selecting Voice. From there you can use the button "Start Microphone Test" to test your mic settings (expect echoes if you don't have earphones!)

Granted all of these are simple google search responses along with some common knowledge related to windows and device controls.
    You may be better off asking certain hardware/software related questions on sites/forums that are more suited for this kinda question.
  3. drpeppercan

drpeppercan New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:2739608
    Thank you for sharing Horse :)

DPC