1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Max ban length?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by yah, Oct 15, 2021.

1. yah

yah Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:51329622
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Tags are permanent unless they are removed by an accepted Appeal.
  3. yah

yah Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    So as it stands bans are applied for the life of this website? Has there been discussion regarding this?
  4. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    You yourself linked one such discussion on the topic, I am unsure what you are asking as you already answered your own question in your original post.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
  5. yah

yah Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    An admin in the thread stated possible discussions. I wanted to check in on the status. Seems like there was no discussion then. I’ll check in again in a year.
  6. You Are The One

Steam:
    Zero progress, this is why we try to avoid taking about potential changes before they are ready. If we decide to go such a route, we will say so via an announcement, but I am going to have to squash any future requests for updates/progress on any unannounced projects.
  7. yah

yah Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    Do y’all at least understand why what is effectively a third party ban of undetermined length doesn’t make much sense?
  8. You Are The One

Steam:
    Tags are permanent by design, its not undetermined. This was made clear already in the thread you yourself already linked in your original post. (Edit: and pretty much everywhere else its discussed/mentioned on the site)
  9. yah

yah Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    Yeah I get that and that makes sense given the extremely limited resources of a third party non-profit attempting to keep safe a marketplace with millions of dollars flowing around. Being punished for something an IRL friend of mine did almost a decade ago seems pretty strange. I just want to use floatDB to check some data, but I can't because they refer to the SR blacklist. This does little to stop real criminals because they'll simply create untraceable alts, on the other hand the folks in the grey area (myself, I would argue) get screwed over. No response necessary just putting my thoughts out there!
  10. You Are The One

Steam:
    You are NOT permitted to discuss specific cases in the general discussion section, this will be your one and only warning before archiving this thread.
  11. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Yah, if I may be permitted to opine...

I can understand the frustration of those who caught an SR tag in the past, sometimes years ago. I fully understand that in some circumstances someone may well feel hard done by, especially when it is something like a spycrab runner for 10 ref when someone was 12 years old and now five years later etc...

I am fairly sure no one ever said SteamRep was perfect, but as someone who worked closely with most SR Staff years ago, I can assure you the methodology and assessment that goes into actual tags becoming actual tags is serious business. You only have to read all the boring SR pages and posts related to rules and policy to know this.

If it was not for SR I am utterly positive a lot more kiddies would have been scammed out of hats and such. Sure scammers will be scammers and it is easy to make alts you are correct, however I hope you agree that without SR and the many years it has helped weed out the nasties, TF2 would have a much nastier place to trade for a great many people. SR has been the only vehicle to help thwart scammers, and I am here to testify that they have done so diligently. I was able to actually get hats returned and paypal refunded when I was SR MM, simply because of the fact scammers knew of Mattie and the team.

GIven I am not SR and speak my mind, I do believe that certain tags which occurred many years ago should perhaps have mechanisms for reduction. Such things are for SR to determine, for the most part however the tags that I personally applied for as either TF2 Trader, Gov or GU admin on SR I stand by since most were serious and caused real distress or loss for the victims.

I have been playing TF2 for the longest time, and from day one I knew that cheating would get you a VAC ban and that scamming would sully your very soul :)

So essentially I feel your pain, if your particular incident was minor I can understand why you would post, however please understand that "Do y’all at least understand why what is effectively a third party ban of undetermined length doesn’t make much sense?' is wrong and utterly wrong. SteamRep was the ONLY safeguard that individuals had. Nowdays, there are really no unusual servers. Vatican is dead and Firepowered there is no admin activity worth a damn, back in the day however... SR Plugin was a godsend and every server from Pink Taco to everything else swore by it since it kept us safe.

I would be very much in support of SR downgrading very old tags of a minimal nature, but for those bastards who stole hats from 15 year old kids I had to console via phone, deal with paypal, pester HelanAngel or Mattie about and spend hours making SR posts and collate evidence... I have zero tolerance for such people, no matter how many years ago.
    =[o.W.n]= FD GoD and Roudydogg1 like this.