1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Getting back items from a scam.

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Elite| jamesraylee, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Elite| jamesraylee

Elite| jamesraylee New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:30283704
    Little more than a month ago I was scammed out of my backpack by this guy. (note he's been taken care of) http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198010860420
    I thought that you could only get your items back if your account was hijacked however I've heard of people getting their items from scams. I know steam's trading policy says otherwise but I really want to know if there is any way I can get my items back. I've heard of ppl being granted duped unusuals by steam to replace the ones they've been scammed out of but I don't know if they would bother helping me replace 250 items. 99.99% of what he has in his backpack now belonged to me. Take a look if you would like.
  2. Elite| jamesraylee

Steam:
    Basically what I want to know is if I can get my items back despite the fact that it was a paypal trade
  3. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

how did he get your entire backpack?

and you need to create a Steam Support ticket for that. Be honest, and tell exactly what happened.
  4. Elite| jamesraylee

Steam:
  5. vetns.#

vetns.# New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52157138
    Steam doesnt support Paypal transcations, therefore they wont be able to restore them i think
  6. [Gent] Jeremy

[Gent] Jeremy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26649445
    They still do sometimes, I believe
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

indeed, sometimes they do.
  8. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    I do not like your chances, but you can always roll the dice and submit a ticket.
  9. Nero Chinki

Nero Chinki New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30535511
    They tend to restore them once as a customers favor, but thats it. Depending on the trade itself, they may or may not restore items with said favor.
  10. Elite| jamesraylee

Steam:
    I'm quite aware of that, but I've seen otherwise. But I feel like they're more likely to give back items of "higher value" than a bunch of normal hats and stranges.

Anyways thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.
    Do you think there is anything I should mention in the ticket that would maximize my chances of getting my stuff back?
  11. Elite| jamesraylee

Steam:
    Also how do I provide paypal history as proof if necessary.
  12. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    you need to provide the screen capture of the paypal transaction where you sent the money. Hopefully his paypal account is linked to the same email and you stated in the transaction notes that you were selling him your backpack for paypal money. It also helps if you have screen captures of the dialogue (you can just provide them the username and date / time you traded and they should be able to pull up all chat logs that even you cant pull up). Lastly, if the person who scammed you clearly admits to scamming you in the chat and boasts about it in any ways you may have a slightly higher chance of sympathy from the steam employee who will oversee your case.
  13. Elite| jamesraylee

Steam:
    This is the message I got from steam -_-
    Idk why others get special treatment.

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

As you have agreed upon the trade by confirming it multiple times, we will be unable to recover any items/gifts that have been traded.

During the trade, the system has you verify and re-verify it if any changes are made to the trade. It is your responsibility to ensure you are receiving the correct items/gifts at the time of accepting the trade.

We will investigate this user and take appropriate action. Please note that you will not receive a notification about any action taken as a result of this report.

Some examples of trades that you should not agree to are:

- Trading items/gifts for money outside of the Steam Community Market
    - Trading items/gifts for CD keys
    - Trading items/gifts and expecting them to be returned to you through a verbal agreement
    - Trading items/gifts for nothing in return in the first trade and expecting to get an item or gift in a later trade
  14. ImJustReturningTheFavor

ImJustReturningTheFavor New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:64592051
    Hi to all.
    can i ask if i can get back my ARCANA ?? :((
    someone scam me. and i didn't get his steam id because after trade he remove and block me as a friend..
    can somebody help me ?? :'(( i want my arcana back
  15. Meltron

Meltron New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23950450
    You can still found out who you traded with.
    Got to your steam inventory, then click on the link View Item History
    on top of the site.
    What you can do is talk to Valve (report this person / fill in a ticket) and ask them to give you game back

16. zeroxxx

zeroxxx New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:53037051
    This is like a copy pasta answer. I received the same answer exactly, word by word.

But the guy is now trade banned lol. I lost like what, 0.5 dollar worth of a game and he lost his trading ability forever. Worth every penny.
  17. |LZ| Jigsaw ♥

|LZ| Jigsaw ♥ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23267040
    I got a special treatment before, because my account was hijacked. I think they won't even bother to give items back anymore from what I've seen/heard. Only hijacked players get a one-time chance (with some exceptions e.g. paypal scams).

But let's hope every scammer gets a trade ban forever, if possible!
  18. gidoguy

gidoguy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:60845431
    To me that seems like a long time ago, maybe you should have taken action then as I think now would be to late anyway.
    how many items did you have?
  19. int | AsianTrixRabbit

int | AsianTrixRabbit New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:49036073
    Hi, is that scammer this guy? http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198095843518 I was scammed by this guy. Posted a report on him and also found out there are others facing the same problem as I am.
  20. 7-11

7-11 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50933969
    Do you get your items back if the trade was done in the trade window?