1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

The "Ability" to Buy Unusuals and Buds with Steam Wallet Funds

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Eoj Nawoh, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Hey all,

I recently encountered a few individuals buying Buds and Unusuals with Steam Wallet Funds. Now I know it's not possibly to trade funds so I immediately questioned them on it.

Apparently, they have you put a crate or something of the like on the Market for your price, they buy your crate and then you give them the hat.

Wondering on what you think on this concept. It sounds like there may be a new venue in which to scam.
  2. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
    It looks to me like another venue that's pretty much exactly like paypal trading, except there are a few extra steps involved. If I recall correctly though, Valve only imposed the "tools only" rule on the Steam Market because its still in beta and they are still testing it. If Valve allows all tradable items to be sold on the Steam Market, this particular venue of scamming probably won't exist anymore.
  3. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    It is commonplace.

If someone want to buy a crate for $30 and trade a bud, up to them I guess. The problem is that there is scam potential, but then that applies to every other aspect of trading, so I suppose MM would be needed.
  4. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    It's interesting to see what can come out of it. Hopefully, the market can be refined to compensate.

Perhaps with some sort of evidence system.
  5. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Well the current limitation on items, is only during "beta"

Valve intends to expand items, increase trades per year and possibly increase max wallet funds.

Market won't affect most unusual trades for obvious reasons, but in general market is a great thing for that part of the community who regularly buy games etc, and it may tend to limit the lower level scam reports a bit, which can't be a bad thing.
  6. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    Definitely so, I just wanted to make sure others knew about this. Because before when I saw people "purchasing" with Steam Wallet Funds, my first thought was scammer.
  7. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Well there is always potential for scams if it isn't a wholly in-game trade. Nothing to do but keep catching them, tagging and bagging.
  8. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    I've seen some community admins doing it. It's a 'safe' way for the seller to prevent chargebacks.
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Yeah I think Thidran has done it like a few times from memory.
  10. Melkor

Melkor New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:45978671
    Yes, he did.
    However it's good for the smaller amounts. I've done a trade with bills hat by this way as I always want to try out new things, but its up to you what price do you set and it must fit with the key market prices and store ones and the fees (a bit unfair for the buyers, but it always was -> Mann Co. Store) or you will lose. It just depends what do you want use the money for (reselling, buying game...)
  11. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    At the end of the day if people want to cash out and buy steam games with that money it's a great way! But personally I think selling unusuals on steam is limited since you will not be able to buy a hat worth over £200(since the amount of money you can have on steam is limited). So then the most reasonable thing would be too sell your unusual for buds or keys then sell them on the market until you hit £200 then buy a few games, then use your remaining stuff and put that on the market until you are finished cashing out. Their will always be the desire to get PayPal money for things such as keys,buds and unusuals e.g. You go into a store and you give back something you bought, they offer you an in store voucher for £25 or cash £20. In my mind I would take the cash because you are not limited to one shop.
    a tasty serving of likes this.
  12. wic

wic New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1874586
    I do think people who are "cashing out" are converting their items to "real world money", not Steamfunds...
    This system is great for normal traders, which are usually gamers aswell. This system isn't made for those 'freak traders', who only look for money profit, but for regular gamers/traders.
    About the 200 limit, don't forget this is still a Beta, they can go wherever they want with this and are now looking at the pro's and contra's from this system.
  13. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    can we buy keys from other trader like one sourceop and then sell it in the market? or the keys you sell must be bought by you in store previously?
    sadly we cant sell refined metals XD to avoid metal farming I guess
  14. wic

wic New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1874586
    No, you can sell any normal key you have, wherever you get it from...
    About the metal, there are some dangers, so again, I guess we'll see that after the Beta :)
  15. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Well, I think such should be done with MM's only.

I'd hate to see another form of scam coming up....
  16. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:4565259
    I'm nearly certain if anybody were to be scammed in this way, they would have 0 recourse. I mean of course they'd get banned... but they're essentially trying to con Valve's system to do different kinds of transactions. Transaction types that Valve has even stated will likely be available later on.

Also @ Datastorm, They're not banning middlemen for being involved in trades that resulted in chargebacks and other kinds of wierdness anymore? I thought people stopped doing that whole middleman nonsense. (That said I'm not around much anymore)
    D2Girls likes this.
  17. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Community listed MM's are a lot more protected nowadays.
    Rob likes this.
  18. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    Oh cool, glad to see having those kinds of tags can offer protection from taking suss items.
    D2Girls likes this.
  19. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Oh, we would have a word with them when such happens. As you fence so much in those "suss items", you know all about that.
  20. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    Jeeze, all these accusations. And here I thought I was being nice :( (Also it would be "As you fence so many of those")

You're still listed as an administrator! You sure are on the general forum a lot.. Maybe you ought to get cracking on those 1400+ open reports hoss
    D2Girls likes this.