1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

No rule against this, right?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by gukingofheart, Dec 29, 2012.

1. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    I came up with this idea on how to transfer funds through steam wallet.
    So let's say you want to sell a unusual hat but you want steam money. Well one simple trick is to post a trade, explain the details, and have them buy a cheap crate(or other cheap item). Once you get the item sold you then send a trade to the person and give them our unusual hat. Or you give it first and then they give you the steam funds for your crate. It depends on how much rep(probably paypal rep) the other person has.
    Very risky, I know. However, is there a rule against it?
  2. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
    None to my knowledge. I think some people are already doing this. There's been some talk about it in the other Steam Market threads.
  3. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Clive likes this.
  4. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    I'd say that as long as they receive the promised items, there's nothing wrong at all.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

thats my problem with it. Valve won't support it. To them its that you paid 30 dollar for a crate or w/e buds go for now.
  6. Use a middleman to hold the unusual.
    As mentioned above, valve will probably not agree with the method.

To answer your question: No, there is no rule against it. But it is still a risky thing to do and if someone would scamm, then ofcourse it is against a rule.
  7. TheDragonfiend

TheDragonfiend New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:29247252
    Well you wouldnt be able to chargeback if they scam you but at the same time valve is making a profit off the method so i dont see why they wouldnt like it.
  8. They can't be sure if there is someone trying to profit of people just buying all crates for 0.02 and then accidently buys one for 40. Also if someone gets scammed (and someone will be if this become a normal method) then they will be asking Valve for help and they can't do anything.

In other words, do it if you want. But it is risky and harder to prove that a scamm occured.
  9. wic

wic New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1874586
    If you know your prices, this is safer then a PP trade.
    Plus, what you are talking about is sharking, not scamming
    (I think, you were talking about buying a crate 40 for 0.02, not buying a crate for 40$, right?)...
  10. Sud

Sud New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:6925509
    This method is really no safer than a PayPal trade because chargebacks happen at the credit card level, not the vendor level. The same person that chargebacks PayPal can chargeback Valve claiming unauthorized usage. The only difference is that Valve will likely close the steam account of the offender, which isn't a big deal for them considering most premeditated chargebacks are using throwaway accounts anyhow.

At the end of the day, the best way to go is only to trade with buyers with a clear and established history of clean payments.
  11. Markers

Markers New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35807771
    Not safer then paypal,Valve gets %15 cut,and steam wallet? Useless,nothing like cash.

There isn't a rule against it though.
  12. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    Well recently scammers have done something similar to this by which they say they will send steam wallet funds but obviously then don't. But this could work I propose that valve should have a little bar below the item section where you can enter a certain amount of steam wallet funds in your native currency, it is then sent and transferred into there native currency.
    So say I wanted to buy a unusual valued at 300$ from datastorm I would go onto any currency converter and work this out.
    So i put into the steam trade 186 pounds (£186=300$)
    We then trade and he gets the money and I get the unusual.
    Since data storm lives in the Netherlands the £186 will be converted into euros at the CMER (current market exchange rate)
  13. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    The thing is there are new rules against this, and it is safer than paypal. Just make sure the person giving the steam wallet funds buys the crate first. IF they're not happy to do that then use a middleman. As long as you do that it's fine.
  14. Noob Owner

Noob Owner New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:17959441
    I just thought I would put my 2 cents in. (Get it, crates are 2 cents?)

Anyhow, purchases through Steam Wallet are truly safer than Paypal because Paypal can be charged back, and the money cannot be reclaimed. However, if something goes wrong with Steam, the money cannot be charged back. The purchase on Steam Market is final. And if you say unauthorized use, well, that is your fault for allowing someone to hack your Steam. Which is clearly stated in Valve's ToS for Steam.

Personally, I do not see why you would want to invest money into Steam Wallet. All items there are more expensive due to the fee. And besides, money from the Wallet cannot be transferred anywhere else. Once there, it stays there.
  15. gencobra

gencobra Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:31047928
    Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:31047928
    You could buy keys and then cash them out on OP or SOP.
  16. Noob Owner

Noob Owner New User

Steam:
    Yea but you are better off getting the money into your Paypal account in the first place. Otherwise you are paying more money than you need to for Keys.
  17. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:4565259
    I'm sure you don't have a WTB thread on SOP that includes keys...
  18. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:40492442
    I've seen it done a few times - it's chargeback-free, so although Valve gets a 15% cut, you could say it's worth it.
  19. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    HA, hardly... The Wallet funds only go towards games, not other things. And the Wallet -> Key ratio isn't very good :c. It ends up being worse than if you sell the for paypal, lol.
  20. Noob Owner

Noob Owner New User

Steam:
    The main thing I buy is keys. And majority of the time, I buy it from SOP. So yes, I do have a WTB thread. And a WTS thread.