1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Suggestion: Suspected Scammer status

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by the_true, Jan 15, 2013.

1. the_true

the_true New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:44053756
    hi, i have suggestion.. can the moderator add a suspected scammer status at pending/wait for review report???
    and add a link to the thread on report scammer section.
    So it will be look like this at the front page
    [​IMG]

because, i got scammed by someone that not yet marked as scammer here, but already reported and the report still waiting for review..
  2. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    I don't think this would be particular advantageous. People could simply create reports on people who have done nothing for the explicit purpose of making trading more difficult for them.
    Eoj Nawoh, gencobra and VenGanZa like this.
  3. the_true

the_true New User

Steam:
    did it usually happen here, i mean do people usually make a fake report here? i don't know because i recently join here...
    and this suspected scammer status only for report that waiting for review, that's mean a report that have enough evidence such as screenshoot and chat log but still waiting for review
  4. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    Perhaps not fake reports, but certainly invalid reports are made. However, if people received an instant mark (albeit not a scammer tag) on their page once a report was filed, I'm sure people would start making throwaways with the simple purpose of slandering other players, adding a large amount more work to the already overworked admins.
    If I was to make a report that was not recognized by SR, let us say. Like someone giving me an offer I don't like, (it happens) that person may have a "Suspected Scammer" tag on their page for a few days, before one of the mods marked the report as invalid.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Each tag is based on a deliberation on given evidence. Never on a pre-scan of a report. And anyways, to enact such "suspect" tag, is the same work as doing a Caution or Scammer tag. So no thnx, SR doesn't want to do a double portion per report.
  6. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    ^^ This.

Bad idea imho :)
  7. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    How about let a mod decide?
    There's some reports that are obvious but take forever to get around to.
  8. wic

wic New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1874586
    If i'm not mistaking, this seems allot like a previous discussion about displaying all current reports on a person.
    As long as a person is not tagged, giving him a "different kind of caution" seems wrong.
    Maybe just implement a bigger/more obvious way to search a person's ID on this forum would solve this whole thing, the person looking it up can than decide what he thinks about reports which are open on the targeted search...
  9. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    An admin has responded, Datastorm at post 5.
  10. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    I know, but the thread is still open for discussion..otherwise why didn't the admin close it?
  11. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    They always do.

Remember this however, you are all members of the TF2 Community, and everyone's opinions are helpful, provided they are constructive. One thing I like about SR is how it aims to be fair and transparent, as well as taking a keen interest in what the rest of us actually think.

:p
  12. the_true

the_true New User

Steam:
    yeah, i do understand.
    but we need to take a precaution before there are another victims.

yeah, this could be solve the problem.., at least let me know that the person has been reported here.
  13. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    There's no need for this when you can just do the search yourself.

And what would be the point of a moderator adding this tag when they could just process the report and give them a regular scammer tag. Saves time.
  14. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Yes!

In the real world there are certain instances where you can convict someone "before" a crime occurs. Take for example a conspiracy against the President, it is completely in accord with the Law to amass evidence, try and convict without an actual crime ever taking place.

However here in TF2, it is unreasonable for myriad reasons to besmirch a player's reputation without any reasonable grounds to do so. That is why there are many individuals who are "suspected" of "crimes" in the TF2 world, who are not yet tagged. SR takes great pains to only prosecute based on FACTS, not hearsay, not gossip, nor anything else of dubious worth.

It must be so, if SR did not follow clear guidelines, that we all understand and agree with, it would not be worth a damn and would have no validity in the wider community. One reason I support that staff at SR, is I know very well they uphold high standards, and at the end of the day it is you, me and everyone else in the wider TF2 Community who empowers SR. It is the active support and contributions of all of us which make SR strong and meaningful.

To "tag" someone without a shred of evidence would be totally wrong for so many reasons. It is sufficient that certain private notes are kept by servers/networks and SR in terms of people who are "suspected" of various activities, however to brand anyone without genuine evidence that would be upheld on appeal in public is just plain wrong, and should never occur, period :)
  15. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    I'm working as hard as I can, guys. :( And if you see a thread that needs my attention ASAP, don't hesitate to send it to me in a PM!
  16. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    You are working too damn hard, and the sad fact is that in this game, there are very few people who even come close to meeting SR requirments :)
  17. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    I wish valve would teamup with steamrep..maybe then you guys could get more staff members.
  18. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Well, I have long said Valve would do well to accord SR a little more respect and seek to work a bit closer (in whatever format they desired).

It seems to me SR are a team of experienced and talented volunteers, who go a long to way to limiting the tickets Valve has to do deal with. Any form of closer ties which promote better outcomes would be great :)
  19. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    And you do an awesome job.

As mentioned by many people here, it would be problematic to have a pre-emptive tag. The SR mods and Admins do their best to handle the reports, but also consider many of them have rl commitments, jobs and etc.