1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Spycrabbing with marked scammers.... Allowed or Not?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by ForteSP, Jan 31, 2013.

1. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Well does wearing hats of a marked scammer (but not brokering or even selling them... You just borrow them to wear for fun) count as "trading with a scammer." A trade does go through, but I wouldn't think you are going to get in trouble for it. Same thing would go for EOJ's question.
    There is quite a bit of grey area.
  2. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    I understand the whole not letting scammers profit, however I understand SR's view. I just merely know that many times these items get put back into the game by unknowing individuals and I found it a bit gray area to mark them.
  3. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
    you would as you DID trade with one, regardless of the intentions of the trade EPECIALLY when you already knew the user was marked.

There are a couple of exceptions like an admin item retrieval or a repayment from the marked user to the scammed user.
    Dronefly likes this.
  4. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    Yes, and I covered that in my post. If the situation is right and server logs show that you were simply "chatting with all and doing some random crabbing" and one of the crabbers on the site was a scammer which was not caught for being so or has no current mark then you should not be held responsible. I understand that SR has its policies and will "mark for knowingly trading with scammers". I have that tag myself and know lots about how that tag works.

My case is slightly different, so please dont judge me based on it. I "knowingly" traded with a "marked" scammer but I had my reasons and they were completely opposite from what the reason for that tag's existence is in the first place. Ultimately I am not appealing that tag (I filed an appeal but it was the wrong time and reasoning so it got rejected) because I have too much respect for what people here do and I accept that they have their policies in place for a reason. I may not agree with them all, as my morality compass is a little different then most admins on this site, but I still help here any way I can because I believe in what the good folks here do, and I know their hard efforts are for reasons just as selfless as mine.

But back to my point (I do not want to get into any more discussion about my past "disagreements" with steamrep), when marking someone for trading with a known scammer the following should always be considered:

-location (trade forum or trade server or game server or raffle house)
    - reason (was it for trade based on a trade or was it just for a friendly spycrab which should NOT be classified as a trade the same way a trader classifies it)
    - probability/practicality of having to look up someones steamrep (my scenario above although rare is just one example where you can not really blame someone for not looking up someone's steamrep unless changes to the game server's crabbing rules are made)
    - frequency (is this a repeat problem with this person or a one-off?)

That is the point I was trying to make with my post.
  5. Rhys13th

Rhys13th New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:48386895

I'm an admin for CTS, and our servers don't have the SR Plugin. Mostly cause we haven't had to set it up yet, but also cause sometimes people just wanna play. There's almost always an admin online and ready, so, there haven't been any problems.
  6. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    I highly recommend you guys install SR as soon as you can, prevention is better than cure :)

Good luck guys.
    Rhys13th likes this.
  7. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:

This is going back awhile but what is your opinion on things like the duping glitch, where you have marked scammers sending gifts out to random users? Do those users deserve marks if they try to sell gifts (that they couldn't decline) from scammers? In this case no trade goes through, and an unexpecting user receives something like an earbud
  8. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:4565259
    When you're using tiny nuances like this to prove a point, you have no point.

You are a stupid person.
  9. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    Am I trying to prove a point? Or am I trying to get some legitimate questions answered? I can assure you it isn't the former.
  10. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    If you think that's a legitimate question, you're even stupider than I originally thought. Congrats...

Seriously, you are a waste of oxygen and bandwidth. It shames the human race that you eat food while others have none.
  11. Suttles

Suttles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:10543958
    You are reta_ded

Fill in the blank
  12. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    I don't feel like being banned from this site again so I will not argue with either of you. I will say this to you Rob, however. Go back up and re-read my message, since obviously you didn't look at it very closely. I did not address SteamREP. I asked another user for his opinion on the subject, not an official ruling on it. My question was already answered, by two SR admins, Scooty isn't even a SteamREP admin. I already know how these senarios played out when they happened. If you want to troll me... At least make it look like you read my message, closely.
  13. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    Boy, I sure got told.
  14. Evanescence

Evanescence New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19459148
    Would you really try to spycrab with one first?

Those are even have more chance to spycrab running. And if they don't run away, to receive the item you have to trade with so it's like trading with a scammer!
  15. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:

There are a lot of marked scammers who have never scammed anyone... People get marked for trading with scammers and selling their crap. Like our buddy, Rob above you.

They could be as trustworthy as anyone, but still a marked scammer. I know "scammers" I'd trust with my backpack any day of the week.
  16. Evanescence

Evanescence New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19459148
    But who's gonna take a chance? They have nothing to lose as they are already marked.

And what if they spycrab stolen stuff that might disappear if Steam Support put it back the item to it's original backpack?
  17. Uzbekistan

Uzbekistan New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35034165
    You're implying that steam support restores stolen items.

Good one.
  18. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    That's one of the reasons why it's illegal. Just go back and reread the thread. That was mentioned by Mattie as one of the reasons crabbing a scammer can now result in a scammer mark.
  19. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

They actually do at times. It just doesn't end up in reports on SR, for thats often past the time those are processed. As those topics are then locked in archive, additions to it aren't possible in this nature. Its also not in the interest of the report itself.