1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

The Tux cheat "program"

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by DataStorm, Feb 16, 2013.

1. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

2. kemoli

kemoli New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:51941960
  3. takethepants

takethepants New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:27332147
    I read the source code of the application and it emulates the steam client connecting to the server from a Linux machine. There's one line which changes your name which can be commented out and rebuilt. AFAIK someone using it and taking out the name change would make this undetectable from just starting the game via Steam under a Linux box.
  4. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    may i remind you of the winter of 2011? people were using an external program to get coal which later allowed them to get tf2 items. although this was allowing valve to profit it still was "cheating" for their items and nothing happened. I fear the same will happen here. And from what i'v heard there was also something like this with earbuds or am I wrong?
  5. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    it took me all of 20 minutes to load a distro on a partition - load steam, download TF2 and go thru each of my alts 1 by 1 to get the tux and then I was done - deleted partition and all is well. So while I did only play TF2 on linux for every bit of say 5 seconds to get it its really no different than using any application or for that matter who really cares as they are not tradeable anyway.
    Oz' dak1ne likes this.
  6. Nero Chinki

Nero Chinki New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30535511
    If i remember correctly you could only get coal by completing achievments and thus people used Achievment Manager to make it seem as if they got the achievments required (and thats the largest amount of achievments i ever put in one sentence, what an ACHIEVMENT wouldnt you say) to get said coal. Correct me if im wrong but i think thats how that went.

Dunno about Earbuds, i do know that many used alts to hoard these as they are doing now with the Tux (wich i personally find to be an ugly misc).

Im not gonna stop anyone from hoarding these as i see them dropping in value as they become tradable counting in the large amount that is gonna exist due to said alts.
  7. Samurai_Mo

Samurai_Mo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32637242
    I wouldn't do it, even if people say it's not bannable you never know.

Just install ubuntu if you really want to get it.
    I did the same on my laptop and got it and even got it for my friends.
    Always better than using any kind of program or a code that "maybe" can get you banned.
  8. Starburst

Starburst New User

Hope you all get your s✿✿✿ wiped. Legit or GTFO
  9. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    Don't worry. Mines completely legit. I was just saying that valve probably won't do anything. Only guy i'v heard of getting VAC banned was cause he was also running something else
  10. Skyrider

Skyrider Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:11715230
    There are 30 pages full of people of who used this software. Valve warned the people before not to use any kind of exploits, so I do believe they might do something about it. The item is untradable, as such I believe valve might remove all the tux's of people that have used "I cheated for a tux" name. This won't effect everyone though seeing a few re-compiled the software, but it'll effect most of them.
  11. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

heh, they won't rely on the name history of somebody. Way easier to check other things. (actual login on linux system etc)
  12. takethepants

takethepants New User

Steam:
    The thing is that it's only verified by one bit that is passed at login, so I don't think they have a way of telling a legit login from one made with this program.
  13. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    Yeah i did the same and I'm actually doing for others also, the game launches but crash instantly ... btw I use virtualbox on iMac to create a linux partition and have steam etc installed on this one.
    There was a trader on outpost who was giving this program and asking people for a key... seriously. I do it for free lol.
    Anyway it enables me to discover ubuntu, that's quite nice OS, if we forget the tf2 crash part maybe due to drivers etc.
  14. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I can tell you that they have at least 3 or 4 ways to tell. But thats not for public discussion.
  15. takethepants

takethepants New User

Steam:
    I looked over the SteamKit and the program code and unless the steam client has some magic, SteamKit perfectly recreates the packets being sent by the official steam client. They could have a hook in TF2 that tells them the game actually started as additional confirmation, but then they would have only awarded Tux if they wanted that restriction. A packet is a packet. Granted there are some "magic" hex values in the code like:

Code:
    const uint MAGIC = 0x31305456; // "VT01"
    But I assume these are from decompiling of the Steam client DLLs (the same has been done with programs like Skype). All the IP adddresses and connections are correct since anyone can get that by starting some networking monitor software on their machine and capturing everything the Steam client sends. They even figured out how to get the challenge key that authenticates users. Once that's over I really don't see how Valve would know.
  16. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    exactly, i did the same but the game crash during the movie intro... i cant even play the game on my linux partition sadly. It unlocks the tux though.
  17. Nøstalgia

Nøstalgia New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44401631
    Man, install Ubuntu. It's just... worth it?!
  18. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    I had a good hard think about the file in question, and decided not to use it.

Valve are aware of it, and while I consider the chances of them imposing any sanctions remote, who knows?

If I were Valve, I would simply flag the tux as permanently non-trade non-gift, problem solved :)
  19. Nøstalgia

Nøstalgia New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44401631
    Hm... I'd guess drivers. You're AMD/ATI?
  20. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    I'on and Imac :
    2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 Mo
    8 Go 1600 MHz DDR3
    OS X 10.8.2

:p