1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

The Tux Scam

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Sickest, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    who's gonna win ? XD
    [​IMG]
  2. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    1. Without siting the source if those stats, they're useless.
    2. Most stat websites for tf2 items are out if date or hugely inaccurate due to unscanned\private profiles or tiny sample selections.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    you are right, it just gives a "Tendance" imo not the real number of items.
  4. Starburst

Starburst New User

You fail to account for alt/idle accounts (as most do not have public inventories or ever viewed) I suspect the number to be much much higher.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I don't agree on a bunch of levels there. You as computer technician have a face-2-face relation to the client. This means the client knows what company you work for, your name and if you do trouble, some serious repercussions can come out of it.

Online however, the problem comes forward that there are impersonators etc. And instead of telling ppl to NEVER TELL their login info, you let them actually give them theirs to you. I've already said to you on a SPUF thread to NOT do this stuff, I'll repeat it here: don't.
  6. Nero Chinki

Nero Chinki New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30535511
    Seeing all the Tux trades on Outpost, i highly doubt these will reach the popularity of buds seeing as there is a large supply but almost no demand for these and a little bit of research will indicate most get a Bills at the very most as an offer (with most being retracted not too long after), others having a "C/O from private chat" with no evidence showing this offer. As i cannot confirm these offers to be true and honestly cant be bothered to find out, i just leave them be and stick by the rule of supply and demand.

Its the same as the Dishonored promo's (remember those "rarer then buds" trades for them) hype amasses about a new item and in the end they might reach about 1/5th of that value and thats being generous about it.
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

yeah, loads of ppl charged their alts with them, its now the question: will valve kill off all the cheated ones.
  8. Sud

Sud New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:6925509
    Fair enough, but I believe we're going to have to respectfully agree to disagree here on some of these points. As a tech I actually, in many cases, didn't have a face-to-face relation, especially when I was doing phone support for real estate agents. In many cases I would have to use their login information to access their MLS systems to verify problems and figure out fixes for them. Of course, the MLS systems had the same blanket statement that the agents should never give out their passwords to anyone, but with the MLS unwilling to support the agents with whatever problems they had, it was on us to do it for them. Yes, they had a real world link to me in that case, but I certainly have no issue giving people my personal real world information on request, it's not like I'm trying to keep any secrets.

Impersonation is a valid concern, however impersonators are an unfortunate reality in this scene. Impersonators are certainly not a reason for people to cease trade activity with an element of trust, they are simply a reason for people to be more aware of who they're dealing with (in my case I have over $4000 in my backpack in unusuals, so it's not exactly hard for people to verify who's actually me).

I won't fight with you on this, but I do note that others such as Dak1ne who are doing the same thing aren't getting as much of your attention on this as I am, and I figure that is fairly odd. I do thank you for the advice nonetheless.
  9. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Dakine didn't do public, only close related. you do public. Thats the difference. I did for 2 RL friends, but had access to their accounts anyways for since like 2008 or 9.

And there are other concerns as well. But I wont tell those publicly.
  10. Sud

Sud New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:6925509
    No, public would mean I'm putting trades up on tf2outpost or soliciting people for them for a profit - I was doing them for free, same scenario as Dak1ne.

I did have a note in my name, however I did turn away quite a few people that I haven't known for a long time, obviously because of the risks inherent that you've mentioned. I have stopped, though. If you want to PM me the other concerns please feel free to do so.
  11. Hamsti

Hamsti New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50855894
    They are just scammers. Find a good friend who has linux and would never steal your account. Good luck!
  12. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

its WAY past the date one can get the tux, that ended 10 days ago.

locking topic
    Dronefly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.