1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Bug report: When viewing a trade banned user's steamrep page, they are called a scammer

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by samhudson333, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20671375
    I didn't even notice that, that's funny. Well, adding that to my request for removal.
  2. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    Roger, I'll keep it to angrily stomping around my dorm
  3. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    They've already bit me, friend.
    samhudson333 likes this.
  4. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Since there was obviously some confusion, I updated the FAQ to make this more clear. SteamRep policy is that any Steam-related business dealing with a scammer risks your reputation-- if it's for cash then you risk a first-time-offense CAUTION tag.

Don't do business with scammers-- it encourages them to launder items, build up caches for duping, etc.

Can you post the profile of the carder you bought keys from? It would be helpful to see if you really couldn't have possibly known it was a shady account.
  5. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    I'm still in the middle of discussing the matter with steam support. They have not told me who the user was.
  6. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    I Highly doubt they will tell you that though...And it's easy to know from who you bought those carded items, check your last trades, check each trader and see if he is still spreading a lot of keys. If carded keys are involved in this ban.
  7. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    You're right, they likely won't give a name. It's not quite that easy for me, though, as I try to move at least 300 keys a day every day.
  8. PotatoPotato

PotatoPotato New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:5381368
    This was probably one of the trading partners that got you into trouble:
    |steamID: The Doctor
    |steamID32: STEAM_0:0:26865559
    |steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198013996846
    |customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/provelibere
    |steamrepURL: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198013996846

(But not the only one, because I expect you need to have handled a certain quantity of keys and trades before Valve bans you)

That account looks superficially legit, if you glance at it for a few seconds only, but it had no previous trading history anywhere, no SOP rep, no comment history, no recent play history, and a very long period of total inactivity, followed by a sudden name change and a burst of high-value trading activity.

And, you paid him cash for keys and +repped him...

Eventually, at least two or three other people got trade locked or banned from buying keys from that guy, IIRC
  9. PotatoPotato

PotatoPotato New User

Steam:
  10. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    The man had an account three years old, had two traders I know, one of which I trust quite a bit, plus repping him before me, and was selling an amount of keys I don't even consider a drop in the bucket. I don't require a user to have 12 years of successful cash trading reputation to sell me pocket change. I doubt he had anything to do with it.
  11. PotatoPotato

PotatoPotato New User

Steam:
    You're not aware that carders use old accounts, often hijacked, exactly because they appear to be more legit?

Yes, and why do you believe they checked it any more carefully than you?

I'll have to assume they didn't, because the account is extremely suspicious, and it would be even worse if they knew that and still traded with it.

I don't know how the quantity of keys factors into Valve's decisions. I assume it does matter, and that is a small quantity, as you said.

That's your choice to believe, but other people got into serious trouble with Valve after buying keys from that account, as you can see from the link I posted.
  12. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    I am aware that they try to use old accounts to appear more legit. Good scammers do the same. Regardless, an old account is beyond a doubt less suspicious than a new account, and you can't blame anyone for being less on edge with a 3 year old account compared to one 3 weeks old.

While I have no reason to believe the others before me were more thorough, I have no reason to believe they were negligent either. Seeing rep from familiar and trustworthy people will obviously make an account seem more legitimate, and certainly will not make me question it more than normal.

I have not been troubled by support for this issue before, and was trading freely while those in the thread were restricted. If the keys he sold me were illegitimate, I have no idea. But since I was not punished by valve for it, I have no reason to suspect they were.
  13. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Hang on a second, by your own admission above, you state you try to move at least 300 keys a day, which is thousands per week, and you are not 100% certain as to the provenance of said keys?

You are either extremely cavalier or stupid I would say.
    Oz' dak1ne likes this.
  14. PotatoPotato

PotatoPotato New User

Steam:
    I don't know if I'd be 'blame' anyone for making this mistake yet, but checking the account age is simply giving you a false sense of security, which carders are taking advantage of. In fact, I've hardly seen anyone selling carded keys out of a new account recently - maybe just 1 or 2 in the last few months, that I recall noticing.

Well, as you said, you don't know why you've been punished by Valve. It could just be a coincidence, but that account is very suspicious, and other people claimed that buying keys from it got them trade locked by Valve. As far as I know, you didn't get banned until a few weeks after the other victims, so I believe it's likely it had an influence on Valve's decisions in your case, but on it's own, it wasn't enough to get you banned.
  15. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    Many are trading freely before being catched though....
    Buying huge quantity like thousands keys and at the same supplier is indeed obvious, you couldnt buy those ones without thinking this supplier was obvious? Having this quantity of keys in a few time is Really obvious.
  16. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    At this point, I'd like to suggest this thread being closed, though I doubt it will be.

It seems like it's become just an attack on Mr. Hudson from all different users and has strayed WAAAAAAAAAY off topic.
    samhudson333 likes this.
  17. PotatoPotato

PotatoPotato New User

Steam:
    By the way, it doesn't look so likely the particular keys that SamHudson bought from The Doctor (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198013996846) could have been carded recently, and caused his problems with Valve for that reason, because backpack.tf shows that many of them were already several weeks old at that point.
    samhudson333 likes this.
  18. Zyddie

Zyddie New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23306550
    That wasnt the keys that got him banned. Was another supplier he did buy 1300 keys from ONE guy within 2 weeks and didnt find that strange ?.
  19. s8. kruz

s8. kruz New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:33441979
    How is this useful advice?. A trader I know extremely well, both in person, and through my competetion team, unwittingly gifted an item during the gifting dupe update issue, and was tagged by valve with a probationary something or rather tag, that lasted for months, despite being new back to trading after 18 months away. Completely innocent of any wrong doing, but he was tagged nonetheless, and received one of these nifty SR scammer tags also.
    How does your glib statement cover that one off sir?.
    samhudson333 likes this.
  20. TradingCo

TradingCo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:61150066
    What pretender is saying is if you don't get trade banned, you wont get a tag here. Weather the trade ban be for legitimate reasons or the trade ban be for "accicdential reasons" the statement pretender made still stands.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.