1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

The TF2 Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by dragonhuman, Apr 5, 2012.

1. dragonhuman

dragonhuman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25985902
    That which sparks debate/ conflict, helps people with no clue, and rips off some people.

The spreadsheet, a list price for all tf2 items.
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub...=0AnM9vQU7XgF9dFM2cldGZlhweWFEUURQU2pmOGJVMlE

Some people like it, for it helps them put the price on things they don't know.
    Some hate it for sticking a price on certain items.
    And some follow it almost religiously.

So what is all of your opinions on it?

I think it's got a good idea to helping out the clueless, but I find a lot of the items to be incorrect for price wise and that they get to force the price on certain items (usually items that they might have a lot of) these are just some of my opinions on the matter
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    its as like any source of a pricecheck, you cant rely on 1 source. Its a indication of the price range you have to think about. Actual price is dependent on the traders involved etc.

As for a stance from SR, we don't control prices, neither we would want to. Also on such a source its just that, a source. As for your accusations on price engineering or w/e its called, I don't think that would work anyways, for most users would not be in their trading friends etc. As the prices there are, like any price indication, just that, a indication, there wont be a cause for SR to look at it.
  3. dragonhuman

dragonhuman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25985902
    Oh I wasn't looking for any stance, I was just figuring this as a general discussion form and so on.

For opinions and all
  4. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    The idea is ok but its easy to manipulate it as the PERSON or PERSONS responsible are not known. And I'm sure that whoever it is controlling this is laughing all the way to the bank cause of people like yourself are re-advertising his page which as Ad banners all over it so he's getting paid per visit and clicks. But as I pointed out - it can and I imagin has been manipulated in more ways than one to allow this person or others profit off of changes that they seem to think need to be done such as the key increase that was done on this recently from the norm of 2.33 ref since for the last year or more.

If you really wish to link the "Spreadsheet" and not fill pockets with ad revenue then use this:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub...=0AnM9vQU7XgF9dFM2cldGZlhweWFEUURQU2pmOGJVMlE
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    /me put the ad-free version in the OP.

not that I saw any adverts, for I've blocked that with the MVPS Hosts and NoScript in Firefox.
  6. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    I'm not a fan of the Spreadsheet, that isn't to say I don't use it, but it causes people to make unrealistic trades. The spreadsheet is anything but conservative on prices, and in many cases, overprices things.
    Most craft hats are worth 1 refined at best, however the spreadsheet often tells people they are worth over 1.66 ref. This leads to people making trades they think are perfectly reasonable and then being confounded when people accuse them of highballing. I acknowledge that even the banner of the spreadsheet says "Pricing Guide" but I am finding that more and more people are treating it like a sacred text.
  7. ¤CvG¤™ avergejoe ✈

¤CvG¤™ avergejoe ✈ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:14367091
    I think in theory it would work, but it's nearly impossible to keep track of a large market of items 400+. As well as bud prices often can vary between 2-3keys in a day. My advice to new players is to rather then look up an item on spreadsheet, search it on outpost. That way you can actually see how many people are selling it and for what price.
  8. Congrand Moneybags

Congrand Moneybags New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30588015
    I use the spreadsheet as a reference for all of my trades. However, whenever possible, specifically if I am using a site like tf2 outpost, I'll always do a search to see what prices the item in question has been sold/ bought for recently before coming up with an offer.
  9. Congrand Moneybags

Congrand Moneybags New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30588015
    Bottom line here: It's not completely accurate, but it's basically the perfect quick guide for prices. Ultimately, the demand for items will set their prices, so even if the spreadsheet tells people to sell a craft hat for 1.66 ref, they won't be likely to trade it easily until they start selling it for 1.11 ref anyway.
  10. Ye Olde Lulz Turtle

Ye Olde Lulz Turtle New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:38190123
    I often use it just to keep me from overpaying/people underpaying me (I've had someone offer me 1 REF for my g. anger). It's pretty useful.
  11. a tasty serving of

a tasty serving of New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:16282053
    I've had years of trading small and big items and have a pretty good bp to show for it. I will say this, its a good start but by no means a good way to go about trading. The one factor that isn't well accounted for is demand. A merc medal and a genuine dread knot are both marked at 3 refined. If you had to pick one for 2 refined and wanted to resell for 3, which would you choose? If you would pick the merc medal, than you probably understand a bit about tf2 trading. Demand is something you have to learn about via experience. Eventually, you'll learn which hats and items to pick up and which to avoid.
  12. ¤CvG¤™ avergejoe ✈

¤CvG¤™ avergejoe ✈ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:14367091
    I mean, it's a good jumping board if you have absolutely no idea on a price. But i find it ridiculous when someone tries to follow every single number.
  13. HAK

HAK New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:29044036
    did none of you notice the +/- in every item in spreadsheet? It goes up and down depending on negotiation and no one has to follow what the number says.

I do not think spreadsheet is the end to all means relating to item price check, but for newbies it's a really good start not to get ripped off. We then educate them to go to active price searching at places like outpost and TP, where prices change at a quicker pace.
  14. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:4565259
    lolspreadshit
    GLaDOS likes this.