1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Phishing Uprise?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Mr. Valentine, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    If I'm correct, you won't get in any trouble for buying duped items (though like you said, you will get in trouble if you actually dupe items).
    I'm not entirely sure if this is accurate, but I think you should refer to this to see if an items is duped or not.
  2. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Duped items will appear in several backpacks at once. You can use a backpack viewer with item history to check for multiple instances of the item. TF2items is widely used.
  3. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

re-appearing of the same item in the same person's backpack means that that person:

- renamed the item
    - described the item
    - painted the item
    - cleared the item (removed name, description or paint)
    - changed style (not sure on this one)

For technically, the system "takes" the 2 items, or removes the property and gives you another item with the same original ID back with the desired properties.

Several sites can view history of items:
    - tf2items.com
    - backpack.tf
    - tf2outpost

Vith various results, the previous owners must all be checked out to see if they have a duped item. The item history is however always flawed, it requires views on backpacks in the time they owned the items, so there may always be others between. Its a general indication, never a 100% proof.
  4. Randinie Grey Beard

Randinie Grey Beard New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8100589
    It seems that adding an item to steam Market also give another I.D. but not always. I got a Diamond drop in MVM put the item up for sell in the Market, removed it and it had a second I.D. Can anyone confirm this? Not a big deal but nice to know.
  5. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32594014
    Jesus Val, all these replies. I have never once had a problem with a phishing link though. So I don't know what you guys are complaining about. :p
  6. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
    Really? You may not have a problem with phishing links, but these people do.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/forums/accounthijackappeal/
    http://forums.steamrep.com/forums/hijacking/

Phishing isn't just a problem on Steam; its a problem over the entire internet. How many internet users do you think actually knows about phishing?
  7. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32594014
    Ah, well I may have said that wrong, of course I am very aware that phishing is a huge problem, I simply meant to say that I have never had anyone attempt to phish me, so I can't complain.
  8. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

in my early days as admin, I got like 3-4 attempts to phish me, prolly to discredit me.
  9. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50959178
    Only 3-4? Any more recently?
    I've only had a few on outpost, and then that one guy who tried to use the backdoor trojan "duplicator" on me.
  10. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
  11. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I don't add ppl randomly, I tend to add only admins I need to speak to, or those admins needing to speak with me. So I dont end up "random" on a friendslist of a hijacked account. The 3-4 attempts I speak of there, where adding me and then spamming the phishing link right after, and going offline. And to answer your question: no, not recently.
  12. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    Now it seems phishing has declined greatly, it seems that the white out and (hopefully) people started paying more attention.
  13. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    I think is due in large part to the reports on SR (and other places), which have led to a bunch of fresh tags. More will get tagged too, a lot of phish reports on SR not looked at yet (I have two currently pending).

For sure a bunch of recent phish expeditions were down to a relatively few groups of friends (one lot seemed to all be Brazilian for example).
  14. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    One group was caught? Wow, how was it that they were caught?
  15. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    No, I am saying there were a few little groups of people recently running about phish using the same links. This is often the case, and when there are a few groups of various sizes pissing about, it usually generates a bunch of reports in a short space of time :)
  16. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    Aww, I was all excited too.