1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Steam OpenID Question (Sign in through Steam)

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Burnt Waflles, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32594014
    Alright, so I am revamping my communities forums and home page. It's a bit outdated and old.

I am familiar with setting up forums (along with customization and administration) and have decent html experience (enough to make a nice home page etc).

My problem lies with implementing a steam login. You know, like all of our favorite sites use (steamrep, mct, jag, basically everyone, etc). I have tried about 5 different options, and only 1 was close to what i wanted. But of course That one does not work.

TO THE ACTUAL POINT:
    So, feeling stupid, I humbly come here and ask if anyone out there would be kind enough to point me to the proper openid add on, provide some tip, direct me to a helpful thread, or just call me a stupid nub if you wish. Any help is greatly appreciated!
  2. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    Oh, and I have decided to use phpbb as i do not have money to buy a forum license and I like phpbb (if this changes anything)
  3. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

the one here is a edited version by Mattie afaik, and wont be usable on phpbb, same goes for JAG (done by Bottswana). Most use their own custom Steam OpenID plugin afaik.
  4. Dr. House

Dr. House New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:29841309
    There's a free snippet of code somewhere in the Steam Forums which works pretty well. It shouldn't take more than a day or two to modify it to work on any forum.
    Also mind it has to be done in PHP or other programming language, HTML knowledge is useless in this matter.
  5. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    Yeah I have seen the code around, but hadn't used it because of my lack of php knowledge. The closest programming skill i have is some basic c++, python, and java. I'll give that code another (closer) look and see if i can figure it out. thanks!
  6. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    Yeah that's what i was afraid of. I would rather get it done myself, for the learning experience, and i'm too broke to pay someone online to implement it for me. More attempts and studying it is then!
  7. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    Got some help from Maddux, really cool guy. Trying something new. Let's see what happens
  8. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    Maddux is one of my new favorite people. Helped me along to get exactly what I wanted (of course i was doing it the hard way). So I suppose this thread can now be closed as My issue has been solved.

Although Since so many communities gather here, it would be cool if steamrep had a tut section where a new community could find advice for something like this. Definitely a must have for any steam based community.
  9. Maddux

Maddux New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20658158
    Lol glad i could help. I agree a form for new communities to ask advice about servers and plugin set up would be nice. After browsing youtube and whatnot, the tutorials are usually very outdated or just flat out wrong. I'm curious if things like this would be able to fall under the guide category? Where people can create guides on server maintenance and whatnot?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.