1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Does steam rep register people as scammers for duping items?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by I'm a noob, May 8, 2013.

1. I'm a noob

I'm a noob New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:49758774
    I was going through my unusual hat's history and saw that there was strong evidence that someone had duped it so I looked the guy up and he has a backpack full of items that it looks like he duped. I looked at the value of his backpack on backpack.tf and it is an estimated $10,500 (which pisses me off because I only have a $73 backpack I obtained honestly)

But that's just a long story of why I titled this "Does steam rep register people as scammers for duping items?"

Attached Files:

2. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Yes they mark for duping.

However, Lolbeastie was hacked a few months ago to my knowledge he didn't dupe.
  3. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Owning duped unusuals that were legitimately purchased isn't an offense. Also, there's no such thing as duping unusuals anymore. (Not within the capabilities for the average trader that is.)
  4. I'm a noob

I'm a noob New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:49758774
    Yeah people keep telling me "they fixed duping" but the other day I went on and saw people selling items with the exact same craft #s that supposedly came out after duping was fixed
  5. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Guess where "dupes" come from now, Steam Support!

When a hijacked user submits a successful ticket, he receives a Support Granted "copy", trouble is a lot of hijacks are "faked" and Support doesn't have anywhere near enough resources to address this.

* ForteSP, lolbeastie was also warned by SR for trading with tagged players, and as of the other day had 12 scammers in FL, not a good look.
  6. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:

Sure they do! Ban everyone who has ever touched an item that was hijacked in a week span of the hijack.

Simple.
  7. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Wishful thinking.
  8. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45077164
    Um that is a horrible idea IMO...
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    I would be happy if they just enforced a policy of reversing all hijacked items, irrespective of how many times it got traded.

I would not care if I bought a Purple Energy Beak, and a month later it was removed and the buds I bought it with were restored, if that mean some hijacked user got his original item back, and anyone else who bought it was repaid with whatever they bought it with.

Sadly this will never happen I imagine :)
  10. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    Also, I don't think I have seen anyone marked for steam support duping as their offense, now that I think about it....

Exploiting a glitch yes (playboy, Tiger, etc.). SS no.
  11. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Some where marked for intentionally duping and then giving it around to ppl ... making that a risk to others....
  12. |LZ| Arzi_FIN

|LZ| Arzi_FIN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:44922774
    If person was hacked he is the one getting the dupes.. he can't do anything about it if he has been hacked..
  13. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Which is why many appeals are successful once evidence from Support Tickets is provided.

Remember SR is not here to punish, but to warn and safeguard users. Some on a hacked account is a clear and present danger and is usually tagged, original owners can easily get proof of account compromise via Steam Support.
  14. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Just keep in mind-- any PayPal buyers/sellers in the middle of that will be screwed. They'll just lose their money flat-out and can't regain items if they didn't trade away any. It works great for item transactions (though it gets really complicated really fast), but when someone buys/sells items (maybe even 5 people removed), that model above is quite scary.