1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Hypothetical Situation Question

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Spyromancer, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Spyromancer

Spyromancer New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:37815818
    I've recently gotten serious about collecting #19 hats/ primary weapons and #93 miscs/ secondary or melee weapons, as well as anything with #1993. This situation hasn't come up (and hopefully never will), but my question is:
    If a marked scammer were to have possession of one of my more wanted hats with the numbers I'm looking for, would I still be marked for buying it off of them? Seeing as how craft number stuff is by definition one of a kind (says the guy who's owned two craft number pairs :p) the only other option would be a hole in my collection, or hoping they get hacked and it ends up with a reputable trader somehow. I am well aware of the policy, but I'm curious if an exception could possibly be made in such a circumstance.
  2. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    The idea behind the not trading with scammers rule is to stop them from benefiting from their scams. It's not about the items they have, it's about their past and future victims.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Being the victim of a scam can leave you feeling physically sick or ill, as well as some mental anguish. Think about that when making your own decision about trading with scammers, for whatever items.
  3. Pintend

Pintend New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:18565370
    I would just avoid scammers who own items I would be looking for. I would rather have an empty hole in my inventory than a empty heart.
  4. JJJJ

JJJJ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:31380005
    I collect #12 pyro items, and a scammer has the #12 Waxy Wayfinder. It breaks my heart.

:(
  5. Pintend

Pintend New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:18565370
    To know that a scammer has an item that you are trying your best to look for is very heartwrenching.

Especially in the case of low numbered craft items.
  6. Spyromancer

Spyromancer New User

Steam:
    I've been scammed, I know the feeling. This is just a dilemma I've been wrestling with for the past day or so.
    I doubt Steam Support would be of much use, if such a situation does turn up would you guys think it would be of any use?
  7. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    As far as SR is concerned, as long as you're not trading with scammers a lot for personal gain and don't know better, you should be ok. But if you do know better, you'll get tagged. (not complete rules for scammer tags by any means) Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I doubt you'll get marked or anything if you do buy it from a scammer, but morally, it's not good.

I could be wrong. I'm not an SR admin.
  8. Spyromancer

Spyromancer New User

Steam:
    I'd never trade the kind of hat that would make me consider even thinking of dealing with a scammer. I fully realize why scammers aren't worth dealing with, which is exactly why I've been grappling with this thought and decided to come here with it.
  9. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    so you know the answer to your question is no :)
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    For SR, the lower threshold for trading with scammers is bills/buds/any unusual IN VALUE. If a item is worth more then the lowest of those (bills, buds, any unusual) then SR doesn't look at it. Be warned tho, other linked communities may not see it this way, and as SR honors their judgement, that may still be a offense. The lower limit is there for the reason that we recieved numerous trades by scammers to implicate as many people they could. By having it for more xpensive items, we cut that out, and harming more the scammers then the honest traders that don't look up a scammer for a simple trade for a strange [item name] thats worth 2 reclaimed or w/e.

But we DO look at repping scammers etc, for those are abusing this to scam more.

So you may find your item, but your trade value must be a lower total on either side of the balance then the treshold.