1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

2 quick questions

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by The Sandvich Delivery Guy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. The Sandvich Delivery Guy

The Sandvich Delivery Guy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50437785
    Hi there, I'm somewhat new to trading. So far, the best things I have is an untradable juju and a bills hat, So i'm faiiiirly poor. I don't really know about this steamrep thing, because I just trade and cross my fingers it goes through. I have no true idea about prices, other than I do not follow the spreadsheet, * 2 weapons for 1 weapon? Wtf?* And I do not want to find myself scammed. Also, I do not want to mistakebly make an offer on something and get reported as a scammer. So... quick questions.
    1. If I make an offer on something and it's too little... is that reportable as scamming?
    2. If I do get reported falsely, you accept it, I prove I'm innocent, and the reporter changes his-her name, would I permanently be stuck with it?
    I Hope these can be answered, I don't want to be stuck with a scammer tag for something I didn't do.
  2. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    I'm not an admin or anything like that, but in response to you're questions.

1. No, you are free to offer what ever you like on an item. For a guide on what 'is' considered scamming, look here under "What do the various tags mean".

2. The odds of a false report being accepted are slim to none, the admins here are extremely scrupulous, and false reports are rare anyway. All you would have to do is appeal it, and providing you are innocent, it would be fairly easy to get the tag removed. The reporter may change their name, but they can't change their Steam Id 32 or 64 (the id/<Long number here> part). You can't actually completely build a new identity on your profile.

Hope this helps
  3. atom-

atom- Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:19172005
    Hi there.

Firstly I encourage you to read our FAQ. That should give you some background info on our service.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/pages/faq/

Since you're new, head to our guide section which will give you a lot of info as to avoid any potential scammers. Don't take this as gospel but it is pretty comprehensive.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/guide-on-how-to-stop-scammers.3188/

In answer to your questions.

1. No, our policy doesn't apply to "lowballing" which you have described. In your case this is most likely out of inexperience. Sources of information as to what would be an approximate price of your items can be drawn by asking those on trade servers, observing current prices which are advertised on trade servers, forums, or with reference to a spreadsheet. After consulting these sources, use your own discretion as to what you want to offer in the range of prices which you have found. Offering too little (with relevance to you) is a not considered a scam, just have a discussion with the person you are trading with and see what they are after. Find someone else who is trading the same item and see if he is after an equivalent value, more or less from the last guy. Its all about the experience!

2. It is rare that we would accept a false report unless there is clear cut evidence that you have engaged in a scam. Chatlogs, screenshots and item movements will be referred to among other things to uphold the integrity of our reporting system. Name changes are recorded through Steam and also our historical data on Steamrep. Alleged scammers in our reports are not identified by name but by ID32/ID64, which cannot be changed. If you do prove you are innocent as a result of a false report, his name change would be irrelevant to the case. However, he will be marked for lodging a false report with our service.

Hope I have answered your questions :)