1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted 76561197988342067 ombers (SR CAUTION)

Discussion in 'Archived Appeals' started by ombers, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ombers

ombers New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:14038169
    Steam Rep and required format information
    steamID: ombers
    steamID32: STEAM_0:1:14038169
    steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988342067
    customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ombers
    steamrepURL: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561197988342067

4.) I was tagged because I traded with a marked scammer from 2012-02-21. As of 04/18/2012 5:41 AM, I have completed 3304 trades. Each and every trade that consists of high volume amount of items, I make a coordinated effort to search the following.

Personal safeguards I try to adhere to with EVERY TRADE
    a.) How many friends they currently have on their friendslist
    b.) How long their account has been active on Steam
    c.) How many items they have in their backpack
    d.) Whether or not their backpack is full of valuable items
    e.) How many hours they have played on tf2
    f.) Obviously- if their profile is active or private.
    g.) Visiting www.steamrep.com to do a more thorough search and to make sure the are not marked.
    h.) Among other things.

Admission of guilt and explanation:
    I understand that trading to scammers only inhibits their ability to carry out further scams, and I should steer clear of any and all marked scammers. The reason this system exists is in order to keep the community safe, and make sure that no one else is harmed by a trade that I complete and furthermore whether or not I leave reputation on their profile. Typically I am able to sniff out the transactions that doesn't pass the smell test but at the same time, I am only human and can make a mistake.

Why I should be untagged:
    1.) I consider myself to be a very ethical and fair trader within the tf2 trading community. I have helped hundreds of people to watch out for scammers and how to avoid losing their backpack to the ENDLESS thieves and tricks used by the large percentage of scammers on forums, trading servers, tf2outpost, etc. I go out of my way to help people when it's not my duty, and I genuinely care about the well being of everyone.

2.) I have completed over 3400 trades and have nearly 600+ POSITIVE feedback on my profile, sourceop.com reputation page, tf2outpost.com and other trading avenues. I am highly regarded within the trading community and answer people's questions about trading, unusuals, how not to get scammed, who not to trade and more with on a DAILY basis.

3.) Many companies gloat bout their 99 % satisfaction rate among customers. Let us take this one trade out of 3400 for example purposes and my approval rating exceeds 99 %, in fact, my satisfaction percentage is 99.97 percent... Might I say domination :)

4.) To my defense, the servers for steamrep.com are not the most stable of sorts (No disrespec) . In order to keep fair to percentages and to continue with my above mathematical arrangement, I would say out of 500 times visiting steamrep.com, at least 30 of them steamrep.com was DOWN and therefore I was unable to use the features which allow me the knowledge that I MAY be trading with a scammer. This means that out of 100 times, 7 times I will not be able to find out very pertinent information. Whether or not the feature was available or not on the date of my "infraction" is irrelevant, as I admit fault and am merely again stating factual information about the stability of the platform and pointing out that mistakes are most definitely a two way street.

5.) I am not a scammer, do not condone scamming, detest scammers, and everything that they stand for. I would never have intentionally dealt with a KNOWN scammer and will never do so in the future.

6.) I am an active member of the community in the fight against impersonators and have spent my precious time informing the community and valve of an ever-growing amount of impersonators. Further, I've assisted steamrep admins get the word out by asking others to participate in, and be informed about the growing use of profile feedback and sourceop.com feedback by impersonators in an attempt so steal precious items from others.

Examples:
    -http://sourceop.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=115793&highlight=ombers- I solicited the aide of my friends to help offer ideas, suggestions, and comment on how to fix this gaping hole in the trading community. I also contributed truthful and thoughtful information regarding the matter.
    - I have helped numerous people report scammers/thiefs to the steamrep system so that others may not suffer the fate that the unfortunate have endured.
    - I have myself reported at least 3 scammers in order to prevent other's from again suffering the same fat.

Closing Statement:
    Please remove my Caution tag so that I may again continue to trade with the reputation I feel I deserve. I feel that I have stood in the middle of the room long enough with the sign hanging from my shoulders of my indiscretions, and will take this as a learning experience to enlighten others, and myself into practicing safer trading.

Good day and thanks for listening.

Ombers
  2. ombers

ombers New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:14038169
    I would also like to include this e-mail from Jesse at steam support further indemnifying me from wrong-doing.

Message by Support Tech Jesse on Tue, 17th Apr 2012 2:44 pm
    Hello Andrew,

Your account was locked due to an association with a major hijacker of Team Fortress 2 accounts by trade. On review of this activity, it appears that your association is only through trades that do not indicate that you are part of the operation. Your account should not have been suspended in the first place.

Please let us know if you encounter any further difficulty - we will be happy to assist you.
  3. Jmcmλtrix

Jmcmλtrix New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:5412928
    You're not tagged as a scammer, and you arn't tagged as Caution.

SR DONATOR is what you're tagged.
  4. Starburst

Starburst New User

Diego already downgraded it, tho he did not put up a reply :mad:
    First warning for dealing with scammers, next perm caution.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.