1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

76561198006626107 Why are scammer tags permanent?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by darkness "headhunter" 07, Nov 3, 2014.

1. darkness "headhunter" 07

darkness "headhunter" 07 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:23180189
    Okay so god knows how long ago, I made a mistake. No matter what happened, the consequences were the victim lost 2 ref and a vintage mining light.

Not making excuses, but I was young, mistakes happen.

Regardless, if I was really trying to scam people, 1) more reports of my scams or attempted scams would of come in in the... 3 years? since I was tagged. 2) I would most likely of made an alternate account (there is one linked to my profile, but I don't know what that is, and it is extremely inactive, no games no items. Definitely not used as a trader) to scam with. 3) I would probably have a better backpack. Although there is no proof of this, a large majority of my items were sold via PayPal, I made the person aware I was marked as a scammer, and most of the time they went first. If those trades had gone badly then I'm sure at least one of them would of reported to SteamRep, or another trading site.

Anyway, my point is, why are scammer tags permanent?

Fair enough someone who steals or attempts to steal a £200 item, doesn't give it back and keeps on scamming. But someone like myself, who got, for lack of a better phrase, jack-s**t, from the "scam". Why is my punishment exactly the same as someone who stole something of much higher value, and has continued to attempt to scam in that time since

The reason I am posting this? I have recently got back into TF2. I'm not overly interested in hats, it was something I was interested in when I was younger so I have some items in my backpack. I am looking to sell these items, and most likely buy other games with the money from it, or even MvM tickets (for the record, I will be trading items for metal, metal for keys, and then selling keys on the community market.
    TF2OP was one of the main sites I used when trading, and I would still want to use it. It did make things incredibly easy (I've never been a fan of spamming on trade servers). They have said they won't be unbanned me from the site unless I get the tag removed

I can't remember who it was I was talking to, probably Noobinator (he was the one dealing with my appeal), but he said it was being discussed about tag durations, but it could come next week or it could come next year. This was 3 years ago roughly, give or take, and obviously it hasn't happened. I want to know why

To compare to real life, you are giving someone a life sentence for stealing bread. When the other people I am in this virtual jail with are in for stealing the crown jewels. Same punishment, completely different crimes.

I would post another appeal, but I will respect the 1-appeal rule (I have already broken this once I think :p). I don't want this to be taken as an appeal, I am just trying to get my point across by including my example, which I don't think is fair

A suggestion: Obviously depending on the severity of the scam, but say x time marked as a scammer, y time marked as a ex-scammer, and if no further reports or misdeeds are reported, then the account is cleaned. However, if another scam is reported after this time, a permanent ban would be fair. (x based on the severity of the scam, y = 3x?). Just a suggestion of a better, fairer system
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I like many others are against "tag durations" - a scammer is a scammer just like a criminal is a criminal regardless. I looked at what you did, the appeal and looks pretty solid to me. Hell you didn't even and still to this day haven't confirmed you even tried to pay back the victim what you scammed.
    This post by you IMO is nothing but garbage and wishful thinking.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    For the smallest criminals would run just as hard with something bigger.

Say one scammed a refined. How could one ever after that be trusted with something that is more valuable ? a key? a bill's? a bud? max head? Burning Team Captain?

This topic is just a covered appeal. hence archived.