1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

A question about entrapment

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Champelliot, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    Often in reports, people pretend to be less aware than they actually are, I do this also. For example, if someone randomly adds me, offering to duplicate any item I give to them, simply telling them it's impossible and removing them before they ask me to give them my items would make it impossible to report. This I can understand. However, when a person behaves in a way that makes them appear like an ideal scam target, ("Please don't scam me, I know nothing about trading, I'm really new" et cetera) and causes a player to cheat them when they wouldn't have done so if the player didn't behave in a manner that misrepresented themselves, is it classed as entrapment?

By entrapment, I mean behaving in a way that causes a person to do something they wouldn't do under normal circumstances. I am interested to know if this has any bearings on reports, if people are effectively cheated into cheating people, does it void the report, since they wouldn't do it under normal circumstances?

Just interested to find out.
    Thanks
  2. [Gent] Jeremy

[Gent] Jeremy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26649445
    If somebody is only turned to scamming if the person they are preying on is new or ignorant then they deserve the mark just the same (maybe even more). SR doesn't operate like a government, it doesn't need to regulate itself against things like entrapment because intent is marked the same as a successful scam.

At least that's my opinion
  3. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
    If that were the case, the right thing to do would be to tell the person, whether he is actually new or not, how the tf2 economy works, the value of certain kinds of items, etc. However the person acts it irrelevant to the fact that attempting to scam or shark a new player makes you an dick. I say a report in this case would still be valid.