1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

A question regarding selling items via paypal

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Closo, May 26, 2013.

1. Closo

Closo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:21779777
    I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask. But it seems like the most sensible.

I wish to start selling keys via paypal, but there are two problems.

1. I want the buyers to go first, how do I get them to trust me?
    2. What do I do to prevent/fix charge backs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

1. The one with the least rep goes first. Read for details here: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/what-constitutes-reputation.12391/
    1a. side solution: get a middleman to help you with the trade, that relieves the problem of going first.
    2. Don't trade. Chargebacks cant fully be prevented or fought against.

Solutions ppl came up for question 2:
    Get a various notes in Paypal
    This doesn't work, the note is to the other paypal user, not to paypal. The only sensible note is the person you traded with's ID64 on steam, and what the trade was about.

Pay the fee against chargeback (you have options in payment, one is gift, the other with insurance against chargeback.
    Problem is, this doesn't work for "electronic items" for there is no tracking & tracing of a package with postal mail.
    In general, most ppl require gift, and make sure that their trading partner isn't very short in trading, and are dealing with what to check on the other trader before going into trading with them.

Use a different payment system with no chargeback possibilities (bitcoin is such a example) There is also a eastern europe/russia payment system that does that.
    VenGanZa likes this.
  3. Closo

Closo New User

Steam:
    Alright, thank you. I have another question. Where and how do I set up my rep thread? I am literally clueless.
  4. CanadianInvasion

CanadianInvasion Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:11860924
    There are a couple of places where rep is generally accepted by the community

For TF2, SOP seems to be the most common

http://forums.sourceop.com/forums/35-SourceOP-New-Rep-Thread-Pre-Approval (Be sure to read the rules very closely, as it is a tightly regulated system)

for Dota 2, D2T is the most common that I have come across

http://dota2traders.com/forums/reputation-system.19/ (Again, be sure to read their rules and create your thread accordingly)
  5. Closo

Closo New User

Steam:
  6. McCreW

McCreW New User

Basically if you want people to trust you, make sure that you know who your dealing with do some research on that person because you will be going first until you come along someone with less REP then you. Personally I would suggest using SOP to make a rep thread.
  7. Closo

Closo New User

Steam:
    Read the above post. source op rep threads don't allow +rep that come from transactions outside of source op
  8. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Yes, this is true.

The restrictions mean SOP threads are of no value to the great many people who do not use SOP. This is a great pity because SOP has good staff and I consider their Rep Threads to be very high quality. I can understand why they impose limitations, they do not want all the fuss of traders who do not properly support SOP by using it fully and properly, I mean SOP is a major forum, not just a place for Rep Threads. It probably is a good idea to make an account and participate in buy/sell activity on SOP :)

I believe going first based on who has the most rep is a highly dangerous, after all what is rep here? Profile rep is not rep at all, and while there are many sites which have Rep Threads about apart from SOP, it can be hard for users to know how well these are monitored and policed.

I think the best way for people to protect themselves with higher value trades with people they do not know, is to use a middle man, either from SR MM list or Admins from reputable servers they frequent.
  9. Closo

Closo New User

Steam:
    Alright. Thanks.

I should become one of these middlemen. I'd fit the ticket.
  10. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Only ppl with a very lengthy rep thread and helpful around get to be MM. As they have done and honered trades with worth of hundreds of dollars, or even on occasion over a thousand. You see, the trust invested in them, was earned by them in tenfold by the trading around without charging back ppl, or witholding their end of a bargain. There have been more then enough of ppl trying to get a quick rep, pump up a page or maybe 2 of rep, and started to MM, only to scam when there was a high value item at stake, or taking a noob's items off them who uncrated a high valuable. To get MM status, you must be known about, and have done a very lengthy dose of trading.
  11. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45077164
    If you decide to use a middleman, be sure they are listed on steamrep. Some scammers will suggest a middleman that is not listed here, only so he can run with your items. I can't reiterate this enough, ONLY USE MIDDLEMEN LISTED ON STEAMREP.
  12. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Well sometimes there are no SR listed MMs online. So it is often a good idea to go to Pink Tacos, TF2-TRADER or a similar reputable site where you can confirm who is Admin, and usually they are more than happy to help MM a trade.
  13. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45077164
    Oh, I thought all reputable middlemen were on steamrep. In that case refer to VenGanZa's post. I suggest using steamrep first though :p
  14. McCreW

McCreW New User

Yeah if you are going to be using any kind of MM I would recommend using anyone on this list:
    http://steamrep.com/list/M
    ^^ these are the MM that you can definitely trust when it comes to having a MM.
  15. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    If you want to build rep, start buy buying and selling on sourceop. Once you have good rep on there over a few months feel free to "reference" it in outpost trades, but sourceop is a great place to buy sell for paypal. Staff there monitor and keep all trades on a tight leash so you are not going to run into too many scammers on there.
    VenGanZa likes this.